EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   forcing yourself to save fuel (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/forcing-yourself-save-fuel-29181.html)

ConnClark 06-09-2014 04:20 PM

forcing yourself to save fuel

Cockeyed.com has an interesting concept for saving fuel. Always drive with a low tank to force yourself into driving efficiently.

Gas Rationing

:)

Fat Charlie 06-09-2014 04:43 PM

Quote:

4. Don't go to the store for a single item; combine errands.

Only buy a few gallons of gas at a time.
Does this guy set his alarm clock 10 minutes ahead to "trick" himself into thinking he's late and has to get up?

tvbd56 06-09-2014 05:06 PM

This testing doesn't even work because he has two different driving styles depending on how how filled his tank. If he filled 5 gallons he would drive more conservatively, while when he filled the tank up full I'm sure he'd drive normally.

For him to be able to say that 5 gallon fill-up gets better mpg the driving styles would have to be the same. It shouldn't be any more difficult to drive conservatively when he has a full tank.

I get what he means by having less gas in the tank would cause him to watch the tank and drive easier, If it ends up working for him, the money he saved in gas he's just going to put back in the vehicle by buying a new fuel pump because he burnt out the one in his vehicle.

ConnClark 06-09-2014 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbd56 (Post 428811)
For him to be able to say that 5 gallon fill-up gets better mpg the driving styles would have to be the same. It shouldn't be any more difficult to drive conservatively when he has a full tank.

His point is having less fuel in the tank forces him to drive more economically. Sort of like putting a big spike on the steering wheel would tend to make you drive more cautiously.

doviatt 06-09-2014 06:23 PM

I had a friend who's wife insisted she got better mileage on the top half of the tank. Because, it took longer to drop down to half than from half to empty. So she always filled up at half tank because of this discovery.
I tried to explain a nonlinear fuel gauge....I gave up!

Frank Lee 06-09-2014 07:16 PM

College roomie always did that couple gallons/couple dollars "fill" B.S. for the same stated reason. Currently know a guy that chronically only has a few gallons in the tank and only puts $5 or $10 worth in.

Both of them spend a LOT of time at gas stations.

Gas tank games. :rolleyes:

Superfuelgero 06-09-2014 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 428819)
His point is having less fuel in the tank forces him to drive more economically. Sort of like putting a big spike on the steering wheel would tend to make you drive more cautiously.

how about a big spike on the gas pedal?

cbaber 06-09-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Here are some time-tested ways to save gas:
1. Get a newer, smaller car.
I stopped reading after that.

tvbd56 06-10-2014 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ConnClark (Post 428819)

I get his point but it's still possible to force himself to have that mindset when he has a full tank

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 06-10-2014 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tvbd56 (Post 428811)
This testing doesn't even work because he has two different driving styles depending on how how filled his tank. If he filled 5 gallons he would drive more conservatively, while when he filled the tank up full I'm sure he'd drive normally.

Anyway, with a half-tank there will be less dead weight on fuel to haul around :D