EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Ford claims new 6spd increases FE up to 9% (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-claims-new-6spd-increases-fe-up-9-a-12054.html)

Daox 01-27-2010 07:13 AM

Ford claims new 6spd increases FE up to 9%

1 Attachment(s)
Apparently they are using a 6 speed manual and a 6 speed automatic. The article only claims that the auto gets the 9% though. From the rest of the article though, the new Focus is shaping up to be a nice car.

Quote:

The updated 2.0L engine will be mated to either a 6-speed manual or a new 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Dubbed “PowerShift,” the new line of small-car automatic transmissions can reduce fuel consumption up to 9%, the company says.
New Ford Focus Outclasses Current U.S. Model

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1264594312

NeilBlanchard 01-27-2010 08:01 AM

Now, if they give both the manual and the auto nice, tall gearing, and only off cruise (throttle?) control on the automatic!

Piwoslaw 01-27-2010 08:31 AM

The auto probably has an ECO setting in its software to change gears at lower rpm. If a normal auto had similar (many do), then that would give 2%-5% savings over "normal" mode.

gone-ot 01-27-2010 08:31 AM

...or, conversely, how about having the ECU provide driver-switchable "ECO" and "PWR" control settings over the transmission?

Tygen1 01-27-2010 12:56 PM

The "Automatic" is a computer shifted manual, thus the 9% savings and the term "power shift" being used to describe it. I've seen it and lust after it. It is also tiny and very light compated to any manual or automatic I've seen. I believe this was developed with a German company, I think Getrag?

Christ 01-27-2010 01:34 PM

Not surprising, Ford seems to be pointing their FE attempts toward their auto transmissions, especially in the Focii.. in fact, some auto Focii already get better FE than the manual versions on the highway. (EPA)

Christ 01-27-2010 01:36 PM

Gas Mileage of 2002 Ford Focus

The Wagon models reflect it in City mileage at the bottom of that chart.

cfg83 01-27-2010 06:08 PM

Tygen1 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tygen1 (Post 157141)
The "Automatic" is a computer shifted manual, thus the 9% savings and the term "power shift" being used to describe it. I've seen it and lust after it. It is also tiny and very light compated to any manual or automatic I've seen. I believe this was developed with a German company, I think Getrag?

Yup (from URL posted by Daox) :

Quote:

Gone is the aging 140-hp 2.0L Duratec DOHC inline 4-cyl. that powers the current Focus. In its place will be a new 2.0L direct-injected I-4 with twin independent variable camshaft timing that is expected to generate at least 155 hp while also providing improved fuel economy.

Ford says a version of its turbocharged EcoBoost D1engine eventually will be offered on the Focus.

The updated 2.0L engine will be mated to either a 6-speed manual or a new 6-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Dubbed “PowerShift,” the new line of small-car automatic transmissions can reduce fuel consumption up to 9%, the company says.

Ford’s PowerShift transmissions, developed with German supplier Getrag GmbH & Cie KG, essentially consists of two manual transmissions working in parallel, each with an independent clutch unit.

In comparison, the current North American Focus is available with either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. Ford says advanced 6-speed transmissions such as PowerShift will be offered on nearly its entire vehicle lineup by 2013.

CarloSW2

99LeCouch 01-27-2010 07:48 PM

Any of us with a manual could still slay the automatic's FE around town. Steady-state highway cruising is where it may have an advantage. You can't beat the FE of engine-off, though!

Tygen1 01-27-2010 07:58 PM

Additionally it has a coast down feature that disengages the clutch to allow you to coast further with just a tap of the break, so theoretically you could put in a kill switch that kills the injectors and signals the computer that the brakes have been activated. EOC in an ATX !