EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Ford’s electric F-150 pickup truck (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/ford-s-electric-f-150-pickup-truck-39395.html)

kach22i 05-19-2021 03:31 PM

Ford’s electric F-150 pickup truck

I heard a little about this on NPR early this morning.

May 18, 2021
This is Ford’s electric F-150 pickup truck
https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/18/2...k-first-images
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/ZKfj...ightning.6.png
Quote:

Ford has revealed the all-electric F-150 pickup truck one day ahead of schedule. The truck, dubbed F-150 Lightning, was on display Tuesday at Ford’s Rouge Electric Vehicle Center in Michigan during a speech from President Biden.

Images from the event show that the F-150 Lightning largely looks like its gas and hybrid counterparts, though the truck has a more modern grille, with an unbroken light bar that stretches from headlight to headlight. And even from a distance, it seems that the F-150 Lightning will have a large portrait touchscreen similar to the one in the Mustang Mach-E.
Ford launching electric F-150 truck in ‘huge’ shift for low-emission vehicles
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ssion-vehicles
Quote:

The new F-150 Lightning is seen as being so important to the electrification of the US car pool that the president visited Ford in Detroit this week to promote his plans to overhaul the nation’s infrastructure and promote electric vehicles.

“The future of the auto industry is electric. There’s no turning back,” Biden said. “The question is whether we will lead or we will fall behind in the race to the future.”

Biden later test-drove the F-150 Lightning, which will be the most powerful version of the vehicle in the current lineup with a travel range of at least 300 miles. “This sucker’s quick,” he said.
Some of the competition covered in the article below.

May 19, 2021
From Ford F-150 Lightning to Tesla Cybertruck, here's every electric truck coming
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/f...-pickup-truck/
Quote:

Patent applications may give us a couple other clues. Last December, we did see a patent image surface for a "frunk." The F-150 Lightning may sport a trick compartment system that would swing open with access through the grille. In October, another application detailed a possible range-extending engine the size of a toolbox to help the electric truck eliminate range anxiety.

redpoint5 05-19-2021 03:55 PM

F-series EV or hybrid is what I've been waiting to see.

Not a fan of the faux grill, but fragile egos need to have the appearance of conspicuous consumption. If that's what it takes for there to be an interest in EV/hybrid trucks, that's a step in the right direction.

Not a fan of POTUS promoting EVs, as that's the job for EV lobbyists. POTUS should be focused only on those big concerns only addressable at the highest level of government such as defense, international trade, protection of rights, and environmental protection via regulation.

ksa8907 05-19-2021 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 648367)

Not a fan of the faux grill, but fragile egos need to have the appearance of conspicuous consumption. If that's what it takes for there to be an interest in EV/hybrid trucks, that's a step in the right direction.

Not a fan of POTUS promoting EVs, as that's the job for EV lobbyists. POTUS should be focused only on those big concerns only addressable at the highest level of government such as defense, international trade, protection of rights, and environmental protection via regulation.

But how else can the president win a popularity contest?

Sorry its politics again, #dontbanmebro

aerohead 05-19-2021 05:26 PM

environmental protection

Quote:

'suppose the EV/ electrification infrastructure is a backdoor into the Paris Climate Agreement, while also satisfying some national defense concerns.
Two birds with one stone.

freebeard 05-19-2021 07:16 PM

Quote:

But how else can the president win a popularity contest?
Maybe restart the Keystone, finish the wall and remove sanctions on Russia's European pipeline?

oil pan 4 05-19-2021 11:31 PM

I wonder if the people buying these have any idea if they plan to charge at home mostly/only on 120v they are limited to 40 to 50 miles a day max, in the summer time.

freebeard 05-20-2021 02:05 AM

When will they be on the market? Tesla is producing castings at the Austin Gigafactory, probably to ship to Fremont while the rest of the Cybertruck line is finished.

Will the Cybertruck be shipping before SpaceX orbits a Starship?

Vwbeamer 05-20-2021 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 648394)
I wonder if the people buying these have any idea if they plan to charge at home mostly/only on 120v they are limited to 40 to 50 miles a day max, in the summer time.

A level two charger is not a big deal, I had one.
The biggest problem for EVs is people who live in aparments and such who can't charge at all.

Piotrsko 05-20-2021 10:15 AM

there's generally 120, sometimes 220 on site for tool use.

I will admit that if you live in cold springs and work in south meadows, reno you're exceeding a 120v overnight charge range going back home but there's not many apartments in Cold springs.

JSH 05-20-2021 10:42 AM

I was really surprised at the $40K starting price. Yes, that is a work trim aimed at contractors and fleet users but that is still much lower than I expected.

The other big news to me was the vehicle to grid capability. Ford's home charger can flow electricity both ways and the F-150 Lightening can provide 9.6 kW to the home. It can be set to automatically cycle on and off when grid power fails and then returns.

This seems like a very strong entry into the EV market and should be a sales success.

JSH 05-20-2021 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648404)
When will they be on the market? Tesla is producing castings at the Austin Gigafactory, probably to ship to Fremont while the rest of the Cybertruck line is finished.

Will the Cybertruck be shipping before SpaceX orbits a Starship?

Ford says production will start in "Spring 2022" and all 4 trims will be available from the start of production.

Tesla plans to start production at the Austin factory with the Model Y. If I'm remembering Musk's last tweet on the Cybertruck correctly he said it will start production next year.

Vwbeamer 05-20-2021 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 648434)
I was really surprised at the $40K starting price. Yes, that is a work trim aimed at contractors and fleet users but that is still much lower than I expected.

The other big news to me was the vehicle to grid capability. Ford's home charger can flow electricity both ways and the F-150 Lightening can provide 9.6 kW to the home. It can be set to automatically cycle on and off when grid power fails and then returns.

This seems like a very strong entry into the EV market and should be a sales success.

I anticipate that it will be very difficult to buy one. Matter fo fact I was thinking of doing a preorder on speculation that preorder itself might gain value.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-20-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

I don't consider a more conservative approach to vehicle design as a "fragile" ego issue. You know, if some people opt for an EV as it may be a reasonable option for their operating conditions, they won't need to highlight for everyone else how "greener" they are or how morally superior they feel for going electric.

redpoint5 05-20-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 648478)
I don't consider a more conservative approach to vehicle design as a "fragile" ego issue. You know, if some people opt for an EV as it may be a reasonable option for their operating conditions, they won't need to highlight for everyone else how "greener" they are or how morally superior they feel for going electric.

I'm as off-put as anyone by those who flaunt their green piety, but I do actually think a larger than normal portion of truck drivers are buying an image rather than actual utility.

A Corolla driver isn't going to purchase it for a macho image, or to flaunt wealth, or to have the "greenest" car, or to appear fast and flashy.

Truck drivers; they are keenly aware that women are more drawn to that image. A macho grill is part of that image. I believe a significant portion of would-be F150 purchasers would opt out if the front end were more functional and less flashy.

Of course, with the F150 name, it needs to retain a certain amount of that image or there's no point in calling it that. It certainly is a conservative approach to not offend styling preference by diverging too much... which is why ditching the faux grill is my aesthetic preference and not a mainstream one.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-20-2021 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 648490)
Truck drivers; they are keenly aware that women are more drawn to that image. A macho grill is part of that image. I believe a significant portion of would-be F150 purchasers would opt out if the front end were more functional and less flashy.

Conventionally-designed trucks became out-of-budget for many commercial operators in my country, no wonder I see those car-based trucklets often being used for their commercial functionalities.

rmay635703 05-20-2021 09:53 PM

Cybertruck

https://insideevs.com/news/508335/te...mm8_ejGjbGIkfg

Ford is also very likely compliance only.

Hersbird 05-21-2021 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 648519)
Cybertruck

https://insideevs.com/news/508335/te...mm8_ejGjbGIkfg

Start production and make meaningful customer delivery are 2 different things. I bet "production" has already started on the F150 and spring 2022 there will be 20,000+ actual customer deliveries. By using the regular F150 with just a slightly different grille they are way ahead on the physical truck. They just need the powertrains and then to get the assembly line modified to put it all together. Ford is used to this kind of rapid tooling turnaround.

To me it seems the Cybertruck is still in development. Let alone ready for a mass production line banging away in just a few months.

freebeard 05-21-2021 03:12 PM

Cybertruck development is likely complete. The production facility is 10x as complex, but is already casting parts. The 4860 cell is possibly a bottleneck.

This Ford.... If that grille surround is an all-ways on DRL, those will be distracting in traffic. Carbon Fiber running boards are weak sauce compared with a stainless steel exoskeleton.

kach22i 05-21-2021 05:49 PM

I don't think Tesla has ever met an introduction date, nor a production goal. Elon Musk just sets lofty ambitious goals (shoots for the stars) and sees what he can squeeze out of his people.

Ford is just looking to keep customers and prevent them from wandering off and buying stuff from the competition.

redpoint5 05-21-2021 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648569)
Carbon Fiber running boards are weak sauce

Running boards are just an unnecessary accessory to break off on boulders and stumps. If grandma can't get in, perhaps a pickup truck isn't what she should be getting into.

Trucks have been getting more fierce looking from the front end, and sissyfied in the rear.

Hersbird 05-21-2021 11:13 PM

I just watched the TFLtruck report on this on Youtube and am sold. This thing at $42,000 MSRP with destination without counting any tax incentives is amazing. I don't care how stripped the content on the commercial truck is, it will have that 230 mile range, the dual motor AWD, and 775 ft-lbs of torque, under 5 secs 0-60, in a crew cab pickup is a steal. If the contractor also has all those power inverters standard then even better. It might lease for almost nothing, or ultimately sell for about $30,000 after tax credits and normal Ford discounts.

Will it outsell normal F150's? No way. Once the 200,000 tax credits are used up even less. Between this and the Mach E, that will probably happen by the end of 2022. But even if it ends up being 15% of f150 sales how is that not a success? That's a bigger take rate than EVs overall.

Hersbird 05-21-2021 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 648569)
Cybertruck development is likely complete. The production facility is 10x as complex, but is already casting parts. The 4860 cell is possibly a bottleneck.

This Ford.... If that grille surround is an all-ways on DRL, those will be distracting in traffic. Carbon Fiber running boards are weak sauce compared with a stainless steel exoskeleton.

I think the running boards are there to hide the fact that battery and frame looks like they might be hanging down kind of low. I think if you want an off roader the Rivian would be money better spent.

redpoint5 05-22-2021 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 648612)
I think the running boards are there to hide the fact that battery and frame looks like they might be hanging down kind of low. I think if you want an off roader the Rivian would be money better spent.

Hopefully nothing a socket wrench can't remedy. I'll sell mine to the poor soul that mangled theirs on a tree stump.

You're starting to convince me now. First the Pacifica, now the Ford.

$30k for a capable EV pickup is mighty tempting. I'd never travel over 200 miles in a truck anyhow. If I could get a couple jetskis to Detroit lake, that's all the range I need.

kach22i 05-22-2021 08:22 AM

Well, after reading a bunch of the comments I was curious about what other information is out there. Watched one of the official Ford videos (found link on their website), dang I'm excited.

The All-Electric F-150 Lightning: Turning Electric Into Lightning | Ford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxe352yOYyk&t=10s

Here is one from the head of exterior design, more still shots, less in your face motion. More explanation, less flash.

F-150 Lightning Lowdown: Purpose-Built Design | Ford
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK2Lafc9L6M

redpoint5 05-22-2021 11:28 AM

Alex previewing the F150 electric.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t698awi7ihg

JSH 05-22-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 648490)

Yes, macho is part of the image but it isn't to impress women. Hate to break it to the monster truck drivers out there but women aren't impressed by a ridiculously sized truck or a sports car with 800 hp. All of that is just posturing for other men.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 648519)

Why do you think the Ford is compliance only. They announced a joint venture with SK the day after the Lightening reveal. Two plants in North America with 60 GWh of battery production per year. That is on top of SK's GA plant that will start production this year and the two others they are building (One in GA and One in TN)

Ford doesn't need 60 GWh of batteries a year to make compliance vehicles.

redpoint5 05-22-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 648644)
Yes, macho is part of the image but it isn't to impress women. Hate to break it to the monster truck drivers out there but women aren't impressed by a ridiculously sized truck or a sports car with 800 hp. All of that is just posturing for other men.

The aesthetics certainly appeal to some (most young) women. They will be drawn more to the man in a lifted F250 than a stock Honda Ridgeline.

You're correct that most women wouldn't be impressed with an 800 HP car, and that it's meant to impress other men. Women are drawn to the men who other men respect. It's an indirect way of attracting women.

Peterson describes this better, but men tend to sort themselves for women to choose from. Men compete in the NFL for instance, and filter out the individuals not up to the highest levels of play. The best play 1st string, and the very best make a name for themselves. They become the most attractive to women.

That sorting mechanism plays out in every domain. The men making a name for themselves in any particular area end up garnering the attention of women.

Hersbird 05-22-2021 12:03 PM

And what attracts men to women is being in the same room with them. Then what is unattractive in women to men is being in the same room with them for 3 years.

redpoint5 05-22-2021 12:08 PM

My wife got hotter. I'm more attracted to her now, though the same wouldn't be said of me. Some girl would probably have to flirt with me for her to be more attracted.

Hersbird 05-22-2021 01:58 PM

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...ons-preorders/

44,500 $100 deposit preorders in 48 hours isn't bad. It may move to be the #2 selling EV in it's first year. I personally think they could outsell the model 3 if they have them available for impulse buying out on the lot like a normal F150.

freebeard 05-22-2021 02:06 PM

I respect this guy's opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGqVd2-ltM8

Vwbeamer 05-22-2021 06:31 PM

I am telling you, this will not be sold in any volume.

The base trucks will go to electric companies and government agencies. The trucks on the lots will all be top trim trucks like Platinums and Lariets.

The chance of an average Joe getting a bottom trim truck is ZERO! If I'm wrong I'll trade my Tacoma in on a base crew cab.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-23-2021 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vwbeamer (Post 648663)
The base trucks will go to electric companies and government agencies. The trucks on the lots will all be top trim trucks like Platinums and Lariets.

One can easily guess base-trim trucks are only available because of the fleet market, even though it does surprise me extended cabs didn't effectively replace regular cabs for the full-size models as they did for the compacts. When it comes to the highest trims, as the average Joe doesn't have to express much concern for the compliance issue to the same extent as corporative customers would have to, I'd expect most of the electrification on them to still revolve around the hybrid option as long as the marketing department makes it seem cool in the eyes of recreational users.

Hersbird 05-23-2021 12:46 AM

Quote:

The chance of an average Joe getting a bottom trim truck is ZERO! If I'm wrong I'll trade my Tacoma in on a base crew cab.

The trucks will go to those with pre-orders, if fleets did the pre-orders they will get them, if average Joe did the order they will get them. Ford builds what people order so if the fleets order platinum they will get platinum, if Joe orders a commercial he will get a commercial. Ford isn't going to piss off the millions of average Joe's they actually sell trucks to, or change how they have been doing things the last 100 years because it is an EV. Ford has a history of making things like the small diesel or the most powerful EcoBoost available across the line without having to spring for an expensive package.

You aren't getting anything if you didn't put your $100 preorder in yesterday.

rmay635703 05-23-2021 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 648677)
One can easily guess base-trim trucks are only available because of the fleet market, even though it does surprise me extended cabs didn't effectively replace regular cabs

I'd expect most of the electrification on them to still revolve around the hybrid option as long as the marketing department makes it seem cool in the eyes of recreational users.

Plug in Hybrid option is on Ice and won’t arrive until after the BEV launch

Given the 10+ mile range and other strange limitations my guess is they want to wait for a better configuration like they did for Bev

Now if you want a normal hybrid;)

kach22i 05-23-2021 08:22 AM

Great spectrum of topics being covered. I'll add my 2-cents.

1. RE: What women are attracted to.

The pecking order of animals with a social structure is most certainly one aspect. The below video explains that very well, but does NOT touch on mate selection, and you need to self-filter out the political aspect of topical news cycle.

Approx. 15 minutes long (but good) Feb 6, 2021
The Biology Of Blame by Howard Bloom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAjFBSNgo3s

2. RE: SK Innovation batteries of S. Korea and LG Chem.

May 21, 2021
Ford Will Source F-150 Lightning Batteries in U.S. after Just Missing a Battery Trade War
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-us-trade-war/

If I'm reading this article above correctly, Ford expects half of all F-150 sales to be electric by 2030, that's a huge change in the next decade but still behind what European manufactures are expected to achieve EV wise.

3. RE: Who decides what we drive...........................

May 30, 2019
It's True! Women Really Do Shop More ... for Cars
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jennife...h=4b27675a3a0c
Quote:

Who runs the world? Girls. Who buys the cars? Women. Yes, women. In fact, women buy 62 percent of all new cars sold in the U.S. and influence more than 85 percent of all car purchases.
The way I see this playing out is "Honey - I'll let you have your big pickup truck, but only if it's an green EV".

6 Feb 2020
The eco gender gap: why is saving the planet seen as women’s work?
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...en-womens-work
Quote:

“Research suggests that women have higher levels of socialisation to care about others and be socially responsible, which then leads them to care about environmental problems and be willing to adopt environmental behaviours,” says Rachel Howell, a lecturer in sustainable development (a subject that is, she notes, studied overwhelmingly by women at undergraduate level) at the University of Edinburgh.

kach22i 05-23-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 648645)
Women are drawn to the men who other men respect. It's an indirect way of attracting women.

Peterson describes this better, but men tend to sort themselves for women to choose from.

Awe?

Oct 17, 2020
JORDAN PETERSON | Women Are Naturally Attracted To These Type Of Men
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi22W34AZxs

Can you please post a link and or video that better describes Peterson's view on this topic?

At about the 2:00 mark he hits on the wide jaw thing and ovulation, explains why so many women have babies by the Alpha types (f'ing), but want them raised by Betas (marriage).

JSH 05-23-2021 05:25 PM

Quote:

I doubt you will see many base trucks on dealer lots but I'm very sure that your local Ford dealer will order one for you if you want one.

Hopefully you put down a $100 deposit if you actually want one next year. I suspect Ford will be out of Federal EV Tax Credits by the end of next year unless EV incentives change.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-23-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kach22i (Post 648693)
Ford expects half of all F-150 sales to be electric by 2030, that's a huge change in the next decade but still behind what European manufactures are expected to achieve EV wise

I would only hold my breath for such target to become achievable somehow if Ford eventually increases the international availability of the F-150 into regions where the stereotypical American gas-guzzler is economically unviable, but it's not a safe bet at all.

Quote:

The way I see this playing out is "Honey - I'll let you have your big pickup truck, but only if it's an green EV".
Of course a lot of new car sales are heavily influenced by women, just like the home appliances and furniture are often chosen by them. While most people are actually not so excited about cars, seeing them as some sort of appliance, it doesn't surprise me to see women influencing the buying pattern. But the average Sally still seems more inclined toward safety than the "green" approach.

Vwbeamer 05-24-2021 06:45 AM

I'm just basing my opinions on what RAM did with the eco diesel. Since the dealer only got a limited allotment for the diesel engines, they ordered them in the most profitable trim levels.

Speaking of Ford, I have yet to see a a F-150 diesel in the wild. Nor do I here about them on other forums.