EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Friendly reminder: CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE! (It's getting colder in the north!) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/friendly-reminder-check-your-tire-pressure-its-getting-10863.html)

MetroMPG 11-04-2009 01:44 PM

Friendly reminder: CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE! (It's getting colder in the north!)

I'll admit I don't do it regularly enough.

But holy cow, I had a rude reminder to check my tire pressure this morning. I hadn't measured the energy usage of the last half dozen or so charge cycles in the ForkenSwift until last night's charge, and this one was awful.

396 Watt/hours per mile. One of my worst ever, in the 70+ cycles I've recorded. (Works out to about 85 MPGe using BTU equivalence - which is pretty lousy for an EV of this size.)

(For comparison, my "lifetime" energy use is 288 Wh / mile. That's measured at the wall (Kill-a-watt), from data for 70 charge cycles, and includes summer and winter driving - more summer than winter, though.)

So I checked the tires, and sure enough a couple were well down, ~13 lbs below where I normally have them. There were other contributing factors to the bad performance, but the tires were a big part of it.

Weather's getting colder (for those of us in the northern hemisphere)... So check your pressure!

vtec-e 11-04-2009 03:17 PM

Just had the weather turn cold here too. Must check them in the morning......while i'm servicing De Yaris. Woo hoo!!
I guess it's a case of "you know you're an ecomodder when you enjoy servicing your car"
Just not in the freezing rain though..........hmmmm

ollie

MetroMPG 11-04-2009 03:22 PM

Working on the car in the cold is definitely no fun. When I had my '89 Accord - which needed much more mechanical attention than the Firefly - I used to do a flurry (no pun intended) of maintenance tasks in the late fall in the hopes it would go through winter with no trouble.

Even just checking tire pressure when it's -10 isn't a pleasant little chore.

gone-ot 11-04-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 137753)
I used to do a flurry (no pun intended) of maintenance tasks in the late fall in the hopes it would go through winter with no trouble.

...what most people label: "...scheduled/planned maintenance."

Johnny Mullet 11-04-2009 08:58 PM

All my vehicles are good to go. My Chevy truck has not lost even 1 LB of air in those new Buckshot Mudders I installed a few months back. We got another car also. A 1996 Monte Carlo with a 3.4L V6. All the tires on it were reading less than 20 PSI when I got it and serviced it...........

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...olors006sm.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...olors002sm.jpg

What's funny though is after the wife got this car, she really rushed me over the weekend to get the oil changed, brakes replaced, A/C Compressor replaced, etc and we took it for a ride and it was good. She put $10.00 in it at the gas station and said she was driving it to work. Monday she took it to work. Tuesday, I get out to get in my car and see her Geo Metro is gone and the Monte Carlo is sitting. I called her and asked........

"What's wrong with the Monte Carlo? I see you took the Geo."

She said..........

"That $10.00 we put in it is gone already. $10.00 goes all week in the Geo."

Mustang Dave 11-04-2009 09:15 PM

I checked mine this past Sunday. Overnight low was in the teens. They were about 2 PSI low.
Just a little cold weather maintenance...
Northern Arizona doesn't fit into most people's vision of Arizona.

newhavenpatriot 11-04-2009 10:02 PM

It's been getting steadily colder in CT, and the last time I filled my tires was October 16th. Between the time and the colder temps, they were down from 40 to 32 or so. Thanks for reminding me! Now they're happily at 40 again. :)

MetroMPG 11-04-2009 10:13 PM

Ran a bunch of errands in & out of town today in the ForkenSwift - man, it sure likes to coast more than it did yesterday. I guess it's true we don't notice change that happens very gradually.

Anyway, it's on the charger now. We'll see what the kill-a-watt says in the AM.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 137808)
She said..........

"That $10.00 we put in it is gone already. $10.00 goes all week in the Geo."

Great story, Mullet!

Johnny Mullet 11-04-2009 10:52 PM

This is also a good time to check your antifreeze (ICE Engines) protection. It's gonna be a long, cold winter.

MetroMPG 11-05-2009 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 137824)
We'll see what the kill-a-watt says in the AM.

Whew - that's better: 282 Watt/hours per mile. (119 MPGe)Right back to near the lifetime average.

Beats the heck out of 396 Wh/mi (85 MPGe)!