EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   "Fuelperks" and the like. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/fuelperks-like-20398.html)

SwamiSalami 02-03-2012 09:04 PM

"Fuelperks" and the like.

Our grocery store has a deal that offers kick backs on certain items and on overall total bills via a fuelperks members card. While at first skeptical, my wife convinced me once she got it up to 25c/gallon off. Pretty soon, we were up to 75c/gallon off. We're both pretty excited, because we're already starting to save money with it and being that it's our local grocery store, we're not going out of our way to participate.

anyone else have similar setups at the grocer or other business?

late:thumbup:

Peter7307 02-03-2012 10:55 PM

Yep , been here for a while now.

Basically the deal is buy $30.00+ of product (food , alcohol etc) at the participating supermarket (Woolworth for example) and this is noted on your account.

Next fillup at a participating fuel retailer you get a discount of 4 cents / litre off the bill when you show your card.

Works well enough since you are probably going to buy groceries anyway but some people complain the fuel quality is less than brilliant and by careful grocery shopping you can get more of a discount than the rebate offers.

By the way that equates to about 16 cents / US Gallon,

Peter.

Arragonis 02-04-2012 10:05 AM

My fuel log has a few "early fillups" due to these as they only last a week or so here - usually worth about 5p a litre or so, perhaps a £1.50 on a fillup sometimes. The same supermarket also allows me to collect points on fuel to get a discount on food ;)

redpoint5 02-04-2012 11:03 AM

Safeway and other local grocery stores offer $.10/gallon discount each time you spend over a certain amount on groceries or have a prescription drug pickup. The last time I filled my 35gal diesel tank I received $.40/gal discount and my total bill was exactly $100 for about 30 gallons of fuel.

I paid with my credit card which pays 1% back on purchases, or $1 on that fuel purchase.

gone-ot 02-04-2012 04:04 PM

...here, it's FRY's Grocery Store and SHELL and Circle-K's.

HydroJim 02-04-2012 04:39 PM

Here in my area, its Giant Eagle with 10 cents off per gallon for every $50 spent in store. They have other incentives as well including money off food for buying fuel.

I have never tracked it because I'm not driving yet(15), and my mom is too lazy to track fuel consumption, but it seems to me that you burn through the fuel quicker so I'm not sure how much you're actually saving. They say its only watered down 10% like everyone else, but I'm thinking it might be a little more than that.

SwamiSalami 02-04-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 284570)
The same supermarket also allows me to collect points on fuel to get a discount on food ;)

That makes too much sense for Floridians, trust me.

SwamiSalami 02-04-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 284588)
Safeway and other local grocery stores offer $.10/gallon discount each time you spend over a certain amount on groceries or have a prescription drug pickup. The last time I filled my 35gal diesel tank I received $.40/gal discount and my total bill was exactly $100 for about 30 gallons of fuel.

I paid with my credit card which pays 1% back on purchases, or $1 on that fuel purchase.

niice.

you know, I've thought about this credit car thang, too. our bank gave rewards for a while, but they've stopped now. it seems too easy to not do it.

Frank Lee 02-04-2012 11:03 PM

I don't buy enough groceries to get any fuel discounts. :/

Oh- and fuel doesn't get "watered down"; that would get expensive when everyone makes the station pay for having their tanks flushed out.

Arragonis 02-05-2012 11:24 AM

We save money each Sunday - our son goes to extra tuition at one supermarket, and we go to the cheaper one down the road that gives the discounts. I collect points on my credit card and have a store loyalty card for the expensive place, but only collect points on cups of tea in their food eating part.