Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sponsoring LRR / CRR info for tires?

I've been very frustrated in the lack of hard information on any given LRR tire. All you're really left with is the idea that they roll easier than some other tire by that tire maker.

But if you're a company like Tirerack, the cost of the machine you need to measure rolling resistance is really probably not so much more than the cost of a Hunter road force balancing machine. I think the main point is that it is well within their grasp, compared to how far it would be from any one of ours.

Of course as it presently stands, there is a disincentive for them to buy and use such a machine for their customers, as it basically generates no income for them -- at least not in any direct way.

I've just placed an order with Tirerack, and if I had the opportunity, I would be willing to do something for the benefit of everyone here: Sponsor the collection and publishing of rolling resistance information for the tire / wheel assembly that I just purchased.

Given the chance, I would pay five to 10 percent of my total order just so they would run the tire and wheel on the equipment and publish the LRR / CRR data.

This information would better inform other tire buyers, and I hope motivate some of them to do the same.

I can imagine lots of ways for this to work out to the greater benefit of all. Perhaps a tire maker would happen not to like the published numbers ... and perhaps as a result Tirerack would offer them the chance to replace the data for one tire with data for all sizes of the same tire. That would generate a lot more data for the rest of us. I think that other tire makers would feel pushed to publish more data for their tires so as not to be left out.

Is there anyone else here that could imagine spending / donating $30 - $50 to advance a cause like this? I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-16-2015, 08:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Tire Geek

First, doing RR testing is a lot more involved than you might expect. The machinery involved to get consistent, reliable results is expensive and I haven't even mentioned the procedures.

Second, there are many different RR tests and they yield different numerical results. So in order to do comparisons, the tests must be the same.

Third, it has been estimated that if EVERY RR testing machine in the world were to be utilized 24/7/365 to test existing products, it would take 3 years - and during that time, nothing else could take place. No improvement testing, no prototypes, no research.
etc.

So while I admire the idea, I just don't think it it practical.

Now if you want MY solution to the problem, I can give it, but I give far warning: It is long and complex - to the point where TL: DR applies.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
Old 09-16-2015, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
Third, it has been estimated that if EVERY RR testing machine in the world were to be utilized 24/7/365 to test existing products, it would take 3 years - and during that time, nothing else could take place. No improvement testing, no prototypes, no research.
First: Thanks for the reply.

There are alternative ways for testing rolling resistance ...

Alternative Fuels Data Center: Low Rolling Resistance Tires

There are easier and harder ways. There are abbreviated and exhaustive ways.

I would make the point that usually, any data beats no data, especially if the testing source is making any pretense of being fair.

The benefit of this undertaking would be very large, and is not anything that would have to be accomplished all at once.

And if we don't have enough machines for testing? The people that make them will build more, assuming that building more is profitable for them.

I've been waiting for this data for almost 10 years. I just feel that we must do better when it comes to generating it, and soon.

Reply  Post New Thread