Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
The PRC.

Size matters ? Some images from the 80s - no moustaches involved - maybe a pre-Metro

Hi,

In a discussion about FE today myself and an equally ancient cow-orker compared notes over efficiency and previous attempts at high FE cars. We both recalled that there was a time, I think in the mid-80s to early 90s - where someone suggested research in the optimum dimensions for a 4-stroke piston engine.

It was something like 300 to 350cc I think, and that was for a 2 valve petrol engine.

I can't remember the exact details but I think it was often quoted by Daihatsu who at the time where busy selling their 3-cylinder, 1.0 litre powered hatchbacks where most others around the 1.0-1.3 range had a full set of 4 cylinders. I think it named some research, possibly made by some Germans (isn't it all ?)

But for the life of me we couldn't find it.

Does anyone else recall this, is this contained in any of the ancient car design mags that I know a few people have ?

The nearest I could find was this scan on Flickr of a road test from the 80s

Daihatsu Charade 1.0 Diesel Road Test 1983 - a set on Flickr

And yes that is a 1.0 3 cylinder Turbo Diesel hatch - imagine what an ecomodder could manage with that ? Or indeed imagine one of those now with a more aero body, direct injection, an intercooller and a variable geometry turbo. 90-100 mpg without batteries anyone ?

I think this was also the pre-Metro suzuki Swift in the US ?

Cheers

A

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not so sure they're at all related to the Suzuki based Chevy Sprints.

My daughter bought an '89 Charade a couple years ago. Upon inspection, I found that it had a 993CC 3 cylinder.

That made me go "hmm...", having had an '89 Metro a few years ago, with a 993CC 3 cylinder.

But, looking at part #s for different pieces, I've come to the conclusion that they seem to be different cars/engines altogether. A similar displacement and layout, just like MoPar and Buick both offering a 340" V8.

-Bill
Old 10-19-2010, 03:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
The smaller the cylinder, the higher percentage of the charge can't burn because it is too close to the cool metal. The ship diesels that get over 50% have cylinders you could dance in. Most powerful diesel engine in the world
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
The PRC.

I have seen that model Charade in a Metro related post somewhere where it was described as a super economy model Swift. Can't find it now though. It was an early 80s (that test is from 83) model.

Interesting the 1.0 3cyl Diesel makes roughly the same as the Smart 3cyl Diesel does.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

2004 CTD - '04 DODGE RAM 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 19.36 mpg (US)
After fuel prices here in the states declined to under $1/gl in the late 1980's the whole subject disappeared from view about the same time the highway speed limit went back to 65 mph (later to 70). Those little motors wound up on riding lawnmowers. The ones sold here weren't justified by the savings (except when step-daddy bought one for a kid he didn't much like to commute to school long-distance in hopes it wouldn't be seen some dark night), and the whole thing was moot before 1994.

Yes, it has "mattered" since 1970 or '73, but we'd rather watch OJ chased down the highway or debate nonsensical, non-existent political party differences after a few cold ones once the back lot was mowed at 22-mph.

I believe I would search the GOOGLE archive of Popular Science or Popular Mechanix magazine with those search parameters; those two exist off of press releases.

Good luck

Old 10-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
The smaller the cylinder, the higher percentage of the charge can't burn because it is too close to the cool metal. The ship diesels that get over 50% have cylinders you could dance in. Most powerful diesel engine in the world
Funny thing that: super size, great thermal efficiency... low, low specific output at .08 HP/CI.

And I was getting all ready to get the hotwrench out and replace the tunnel-rammed 489 in my pickup (hey, not all my cars are about gas mileage), but think I'll hold off a bit.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
I remember that Diesel It was still going in the late eighties in the more orunded bodied Charade, the one they did the GTTi rally car with. My friend had a 5door one in grey and it was as slow, tectonic plate type slow but it NEVER went wrong. I remember ask her once if it was a petrol of diesel and she simple replied - "Can't remember, dad filled some time last month...."
If you could find one they'd be immense!

the fridge

twitter.com/bertchalmers
Old 10-20-2010, 08:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
Started me thinking: does that mean the more oversquare an engine is the more likely it is to get good burn throughout? As such - is it more thermally efficient (in general) to be oversqr?
Old 10-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
The PRC.

As a coincidence only today I saw a Charade diesel on the A720 Edinburgh bypass.

Amazing.

I haven't seen one for years and then suddenly there it is. It also had the optional 'Hi-roof' - bizarre.

And extra 80s goodness in orange Turbo badges.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Laura the Lancer - '81 Mitsibishi lancer LX
hahah my car shares parts with a daihatsu, daihatsu is owned by toyota,

so any relation to suzuki is just coincidence, these things are everywhere in new zealand,they annoy me because they are horrible to drive.

0-50kph in 3days??

almost as good as the starlet on gas though

Reply  Post New Thread