EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Garmin EcoRoute or Scanguage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/garmin-ecoroute-scanguage-18398.html)

SwamiSalami 08-04-2011 07:48 PM

Garmin EcoRoute or Scanguage

I have a Garmin GPS in my car now. Originally, I purchased the unit solely for its usefulness as a GPS.

About a week ago, I discovered the EcoRoute function of the Garmin.

It is useful, but I am somewhat skeptical of its accuracy and thus, the extent of its usefulness.

Being that I've never used a Scanguage I, II, or Escanguage, I don't really know any other form of instrumentation.

I would think that these units would be more accurate, being that they are essentially plugged into your car's computer. However, I have been wrong before.

A)How do the EcoRoute and Scanguage compare?

B) Is it worth purchasing another unit considering the cost? (I'll still have to have a GPS!)

C) If the scanguage is considered to be better, how?

Thanks

Piwoslaw 08-05-2011 09:41 AM

Just the EcoRoute itself isn't really that good - it has no idea what you're driving, etc., it only calculates something like a route with lower speed limits, I guess. On the other hand, there is an extra gadget to collect your OBDII data and display it on the Garmin (EcoRoute HD), and that may be as good as a ScanGauge or UltraGauge.

SwamiSalami 08-05-2011 10:26 AM

any ideas on what this extra gadget is all about or where i can see one?

You're a genius, by the way.

PaleMelanesian 08-05-2011 11:11 AM

(I don't know about the extra gadget thing)

The Ecoroute compared to an OBD gauge is like a paper atlas compared to a gps. There's an order of magnitude of detail that's missing.

But... you're driving a TDI. OBD gauges don't handle the variable air-fuel mix well. The extra wiring work for an MPGuino will give you better accuracy.

UFO 08-05-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 254367)
But... you're driving a TDI. OBD gauges don't handle the variable air-fuel mix well. The extra wiring work for an MPGuino will give you better accuracy.

Do tell. I'm always interested in getting more accurate fuel usage data on my TDI.

Patrick 08-05-2011 11:59 AM

I think the best approach would be to use both. Use the EcoRoute to get a more efficient route to drive, then use the ScanGauge (or EcoRoute HD) to drive most efficiently on that route. The EcoRoute HD only works on certain models of the Garmin GPS, BTW.

PaleMelanesian 08-05-2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 254383)
Do tell. I'm always interested in getting more accurate fuel usage data on my TDI.

There's a whole subforum here about it. I'm not an expert, since the regular OBD gauges work fine for my car.

euromodder 08-05-2011 02:19 PM

Ecoroute just returns the numbers you put in yourself.
It detracts points for driving below the limit - duh ! - and for "speeding" when going downhill.

Forget it as an eco-driving guidance tool.

SG otoh is calibrated to your driving, rather than the diesel engine :(

UFO 08-05-2011 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 254397)
There's a whole subforum here about it. I'm not an expert, since the regular OBD gauges work fine for my car.

I only ask as there is nothing on a diesel to tap into to get electronic information regarding fuel consumption, unlike an EFI gasser.

Kodak 08-05-2011 04:08 PM

I've used the driving challenge a few times. It's not terribly useful for anyone already familiar with hypermiling. Others have mentioned the point system flaws, which certainly come into play with DWL on large hills. I'm not even sure what criteria is required for 100% points on acceleration or deceleration - and it's probably not realistic even with good light timing skills.

No SG experience here.

To the benefit of Garmin, their 'driving tips' are extremely practical for the average driver, but are all common sense to EM users who have read the tips.

Piwoslaw has me intrigued about the HD version though.