EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   Gas free is the way to be! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gas-free-way-12338.html)

Oval_Overload 02-18-2010 02:50 AM

Gas free is the way to be!

Last fall, I totaled my car, so I began to seriously rethink my transportation situation. I decided it would be best to stop commuting 35 miles to school and 45 miles to work (one way!).

Meanwhile, my friend Kal was living in a rotten North Minneapolis neighborhood. One morning, Kal was awoken by a MPD officer asking if he knew the whereabouts of his car. It had been found in a chop-shop raid.

Put two bad situations together and what do you get? A solution!

The two of us moved into a cute little house west of the lakes district. Kal bought a late 70's BMW 2002 and I a bus pass. The move sliced Kal's commute in half, and cut mine down to 5 miles to school and 2.5 to work!

For the time being, I ride a hybrid-electric bus to school and bike to work. Tomorrow I might cycle to school for the first time. I live on a bike trail, so I only have to cross like three roads to get to school. On days I don't feel like peddling, I ride an electric motorbike. If I have chores to do, I can often borrow an electric car from work.

Between bike, scooter, electric car, and bus, I have hardly driven my old Ford at all. This week, I have not burned a drop of gasoline!

Daox 02-18-2010 05:56 AM

That really sounds great.

I currently have a 40 minute drive to work and am looking for something closer. Thanks for sharing. :)

Oval_Overload 02-18-2010 12:38 PM

I take it you work in Milwalkee?

Daox 02-18-2010 12:40 PM

Yup.

MetroMPG 02-18-2010 01:12 PM

Nice going, Oval.

I also recently picked a spot based on transportation considerations. I could have found something cheaper (or bigger, or both) by going further out of town, but one of my goals was to stay within reasonable bicycle or walking distance of the places I go most often.

90crxHF 02-18-2010 02:21 PM

I am currently 25.2 miles from work (one-way) and to be honest, I don't want to live any closer. In fact, I want to get further out. Houston sucks.

Ryland 02-18-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 161720)
I also recently picked a spot based on transportation considerations. I could have found something cheaper (or bigger, or both) by going further out of town, but one of my goals was to stay within reasonable bicycle or walking distance of the places I go most often.

That is what I did as well, I wanted to be able to walk or bike to my most visited locations and it has meant that I can work less and have more free time!

bgd73 02-18-2010 04:59 PM

that is the best ecomod success of all.
I did the same thing, within miles of daily life.
I had an 80 mile trek from central maine to bangor..the trip of bad roads, and alot of times coastal weather versus mountain like...for days and weeks, I snapped parts not even baja extremists would believe.
Now today
my gas chart doesn't get updated often. I wait until the 500 mile round trip I take once and awhile....
would love to strap a small moped/scooter something outside and use that too. :thumbup:
I was handicapped bad enough where bikes was no option, but I feel too old now at 37.

Cd 02-18-2010 05:49 PM

As mentioned previously, moving closer to work ( even a mile or two ) is the ultimate eco-mod !

I moved within walking distance from my job.
Not only does it cut pollution, but It's great exercise.

luvit 02-18-2010 08:42 PM

i recycle.

but i'm luvit the-evil.
i use the fast food window.
i shop for houses away from the city.
i like having acres of grass to mow.
i heat with a woodburner stove.
i commute 45 minutes one-way and relax.
i pee outside.