EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Gas theft (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gas-theft-4117.html)

SVOboy 07-28-2008 01:04 PM

Gas theft

Just want to complain a bit here...

Anyway, seeing as how we own a farm we also keep too large tanks of gas on the property that just take deliveries from the fuel guy every couple of months.

Well, a few days ago someone stole most all of our gas (but not our diesel).

To add insult to injury, they stole our gas cans to help in stealing the gas and then left the tank open to the rain.

We figure they got about 250 gallons, but it's hard to say.

Anyway, how can I tell if the remaining gas has been spoiled by rain water or not?

Damn thieves!

metroschultz 07-28-2008 01:32 PM

Gasoline is lighter than water and will separate on its own.
Leave the tank closed and undisturbed for 24 hours then drain the tank from the bottom (you didn't say whether it was above ground or not)
S-L-O-W-L-Y
when you run into pure gas,
You're done.
Sorry for the loss,
Tough times bring out the best and worst in everybody.
Schultz

MetroMPG 07-28-2008 02:15 PM

That's rotten. Just like people breaking into unoccupied houses to steal copper wiring.

cfg83 07-28-2008 02:24 PM

SVOboy -

Sorry to hear about this. My friend used to work at a gas station and he told me stories of the Ruskie Mob just driving up with a tanker and sucking up all the gas overnight.

Does this fall under an insurance claim, i.e. can you get your money back on the gas?

CarloSW2

budgenator 07-28-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 48433)
That's rotten. Just like people breaking into unoccupied houses to steal copper wiring.

I'm actually surprised I haven't heard of anybody stealing waste restaurant grease, with the right equipment you could steal worth $10K of biodiesel easy in one night

Tony Raine 07-28-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budgenator (Post 48534)
I'm actually surprised I haven't heard of anybody stealing waste restaurant grease, with the right equipment you could steal worth $10K of biodiesel easy in one night

saw it on the news about a month ago. guy had a dually truck with a huge tank and pump apparatus. drove up, stuck the hose in, little while later he was gone.

Red 07-28-2008 09:25 PM

That sucks Ben. Sorry to hear about it. Maybe fill the tank with sugar water for a bit and see if they come back after that

Johnny Mullet 07-28-2008 09:52 PM

Get a damn dog. A mean one!

dcb 07-28-2008 10:42 PM

Along reds line of thinking:
Camper van thief siphons off raw sewage instead of diesel - BuckeyePlanet Ohio State Forums

ankit 07-28-2008 11:01 PM

That really really sucks. I hope it does fall under insurance. 250 gallons of fuel is no joke.

My parents own a couple of gas stations and lately they have seen a rise in run-offs. We've even gotten the plate numbers for a couple but the police department would "get back at us." Needless to say we haven't heard anything and it has been some amount of time. Now its pay first pump later, even though that is not the common policy with the stores in the area.