EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Getting the Bird at on ramps. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/getting-bird-ramps-17059.html)

postmac 04-27-2011 11:29 AM

Getting the Bird at on ramps.

Over the past 3 weeks since I installed my ScanGauge I have been driving 55 on the limited access highway. (Max speed 70, Minimum 55). Twice now I have gotten the bird when someone is trying to merge and I don't adjust my speed or move over to let them on. A third time the lady gave me a dirty look when she passed me on the right as she took the next exit ramp. All three times I was being passed on the left and couldn't change lanes to let the people on. Does anyone else experience this?

Christ 04-27-2011 11:43 AM

Safety should be before mpg. You don't need to speed up, but slowing a bit further to allow them a ahead of you might be prudent.

moorecomp 04-27-2011 12:14 PM

People don't know how to merge anymore. Now everyone expects people to move over, that is not merging. That is not the bird, they are saluting your hypermiling efforts!

Ryland 04-27-2011 12:16 PM

Being an unsafe driver is not going to get anyone else to slow down, I find alot of the time that I am better off drafting a semi truck then driving under the speed limit as the fuel used tends to be the same or even less, I get there faster and it helps to maintain focus on driving.

Christ 04-27-2011 12:38 PM

You could also try to focus your primary trips during times when the highway isn't likely to have a much traffic. I normally use alternate routes for most of my driving because it allows me to drive slower, enjoy my commute, and still get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time, at significantly less cost.

dennyt 04-27-2011 01:03 PM

In addition to trying to get the best MPG possible in my car, I try to drive in a way that doesn't cause drivers around me to waste gas. Cooperative merging may be in everyone's best interest.

user removed 04-27-2011 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 234487)
Being an unsafe driver is not going to get anyone else to slow down, I find alot of the time that I am better off drafting a semi truck then driving under the speed limit as the fuel used tends to be the same or even less, I get there faster and it helps to maintain focus on driving.

If you are the 55 MPH restriction on a 70 MPH road and you can not choose another road, then Ryland's advice is spot on. Pick up a drafting partner with a large frontal area and the rear end extending down close to the road and just follow them at a distance you are comfortable with. If you can do this in the right lane then you have an escape path is you see a large chunk of debris in the road. I like 3 stripes separation minimum.

In most 70 MPH zones traffic is moving at that speed and you are the cause of much disruption at 55. Sure it's legal but that doesn't make it the best choice or economical.

regards
Mech

roflwaffle 04-27-2011 03:00 PM

Why not just adjust your speed to let them in? The impact on your mileage is beyond minuscule. Very rarely do I need to do anything other than tap the brakes or accelerate modestly to let someone in. Maybe once every 5k-10k highway miles I'll get someone merging at 45mph where I end up braking for maybe a second instead of just tapping them.

99metro 04-27-2011 03:02 PM

I'd have my hazard lights on. People will see you and be able to maneuver around you sooner.
If you can get over a lane without impeding traffic, let the mergee come in, then get back in the "slow" lane once they take off - that would be best. You see the truckers do this all the time as a common courtesy. If you can't safely go over to the center or passing lane, then I'd would maintain speed and let them merge before or after you. Not your fault they can't drive. Also, I'd have my hazards off during these maneuvers and use turn signals profusely.

Christ 04-27-2011 03:07 PM

It's their job to merge safely. It's your job to aide that process. Defensive driving allows you to be in control, and you can more readily control how far ahead of you they are, than how close to your rear end they choose to be.