EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Getting frustrated by lack of prior Aero modded Camry's (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/getting-frustrated-lack-prior-aero-modded-camrys-13185.html)

pgmomni 05-09-2010 08:53 AM

Getting frustrated by lack of prior Aero modded Camry's

In searching for aero mods on this site and others including Toyota Nation I find little
(97-01) Camry specific aero mods besides lowering and body kits that combined would cost more then the car is worth.

Camry CE, 5 speed was rated at 32 (old) 29 hwy (new) EPA, weighs just shy of 3000lbs and has a Cd of .3. Local mpg down low 20's as its a "midsize" heavy car.

With millions sold I was hoping there would be more examples of mods done and tested.
I am looking for help and suggestions to improve aero/reduce Cd on my 2000 Camry CE(Cheap Edition) . Why a Camry? Because they ride smooth and quiet(great for long hauls) easy to maintain/fix(not often), can pull 2000lbs when needed, fits 3 sons and I comfortably for a few hours drive. (Every try driving a few hrs in a noisy, rattling tin can with 3 kids?)

Below I list what I have already done to the car that is NON-aero and I am a experienced Hyper Miler, used to get 29 mpg on my '74 Celica back in the early 80's.
PLEASE lets keep this thread to AERO mods.

So far I have achieved 35 mpg on almost pure hwy runs of 550-600 hundred of miles.
(I live in Maine and still maintain a consulting practice in NY, NJ, CT)

205/70-15 Yokohama Avid Touring S tires approx 6.3% oversize diameter.
Removed mud flaps.
Removed stock airbox/intake and installed basic cone filter with 3" pipe with cone filter
Discount Air Intake - 2000 Toyota Camry CE 4 Cyl 2.2L Air Intakes

Semisynthetic 5/30w motor oil and synthetic 75/90w gear oil in manual tranny.

Pics
2000 Toyota Camry Photos and Colors
Specs
2000 Toyota Camry Standard Equipment and Specs

Easier(as in inexpensive and doable) aero mods I plan to do.
1. Flat or racing moon hubcaps
2. upper grille delete
3. install mud flaps in front of wheel wells for now.
4. Remove passenger wiper arm/blade
5. Remove passenger side mirror and install small interior blind spot mirror.
6. Change drivers side mirror to a more aero racing type.
7. Coroplast under body front panel
8. Coroplast under body rear panel.
9. Front airdam/lower grille block/s

Wish list aero mods:
1. Rear Wheel skirts
2. Side skirts
3. Partial Kamelback. (not likely unless I get to retire early!)

Short term goal is 38 mpg, wish list goal is 40 mpg.

My overall goal is to keep the Camry as my long range cruiser and add a
used hybrid for around town/local and wifes work drive.

Any thoughts, guidance, links greatly appreciated.

MPG Madman, Pete

RobertSmalls 05-09-2010 11:07 AM

Even if there aren't a lot of aeromodded Camries on this site or elsewhere, most of the mods done here will apply to your car. The only mods specific to sedans are trailing end aeromods, like an extended Kammback, or adjustments to your spoiler.

I think you'll find the grille block provides the biggest bang for the buck. I would also move the rear wheel skirts up the list. They shouldn't be too hard to do.

If you have fairings behind your tires and a smooth underbody, you probaby won't need the air dam and side skirts. If the underside of the car is smooth and orderly, there's not too much need to reduce airflow under the car.

I'm glad to see a madman here. Welcome.

Otto 05-09-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 173848)
Even if there aren't a lot of aeromodded Camries on this site or elsewhere, most of the mods done here will apply to your car. The only mods specific to sedans are trailing end aeromods, like an extended Kammback, or adjustments to your spoiler.

I think you'll find the grille block provides the biggest bang for the buck. I would also move the rear wheel skirts up the list. They shouldn't be too hard to do.

If you have fairings behind your tires and a smooth underbody, you probaby won't need the air dam and side skirts. If the underside of the car is smooth and orderly, there's not too much need to reduce airflow under the car.

I'm glad to see a madman here. Welcome.

I dunno about the boldfaced part above: Hucho shows an Opel Calibri in wind tunnel, depicted on this website, and the airflow is definitely not front-to-back under the car. In fact, due to bow wave effect, the smoke stream diverts ~60 degrees oblique and on at an angle into the inner sides of the front wheels/tires, then turbulently past and out into the slipstream beside the car. So, inwardly canted fairings could make a major improvement for the front wheels, and surely also fairings for the rear wheels, in both cases with the fairings properly aligned into the relative wind.

mcrews 05-09-2010 05:03 PM

Check my posts on the 2002 Q45 grille block and underbelly pan. proved to be worth about 3+ mpgs for me.
You are running a SG and that is really key...in my opinion. You against the GAUGE!!! in real time. Not guessing on the gas gauge needle and waiting for the next fill up.
THe size up on the tires is also a winner for me. btw, what is your rpm at 60mph?
I'm at 1812 rpm at 60mph.
You didnt mention tire preesure? when I am on a road trip I run 49psi. around town I run 40. (i like the ride)
I would redo your check list: 2, 7, 8, 1.
If you do 7 edge to edge, there really is no reason to do a dam. you've smoothed uot where the air goes.
I intalled the IMPUL body kit several yrs before I found this site. ANd would still run it. I just happen to really like the look AND there is 'some' aero gain. What really helped the MPG was that the underbelly pan sealed all the edges so the air flows smoothly.

You certainly have the right attitude so GOOD LUCK and Welcome!

mcrews 05-09-2010 05:21 PM

test

pgmomni 05-09-2010 09:31 PM

tks for the replys...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 173890)
test

Today we (15 yr old son and I) made the Camry a Unibrow! Removed passenger wiper arm/blade and install a 26" blade on the drivers side. Jack says it sucks from his side but from where I sit its fine! lol

We also install Monroe quick struts as the left rear strut was leaking and car was "twitchy" at 75-80 when changing lanes.

As I spend like 90% of my driving time at Interstate speeds aero is where my gains are going to come from.

There is a "special election" here in town to replace a Selectman who is leaving office mid term. Lots of "free" coroplast sign-age about after the May 22nd vote!

The whole under body is a mess.

Current have tires at 38F, 36 rear. Will try 40/38 next trip. They have a max inflation of 51!

As I drive 4+ hrs at a time too hard a tire can make me weary and makes my old spine bones ache.

Hopefully next weekend I can get to "install" the mud flaps in the front of the wheel wells and try some flat makeshift hub caps. I really want to quantify/justify the expense of $120 for the fancy brushed stainless steel racing full moon hubcaps.
Figured I would try makeshift 15" coroplast flats hubcaps first. Problem I have too is sometimes i park/overnite in areas where the full moon/racing hubcaps might get swiped.

Pete

pgmomni 05-09-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 173888)
Check my posts on the 2002 Q45 grille block and underbelly pan. proved to be worth about 3+ mpgs for me.
You are running a SG and that is really key...in my opinion. You against the GAUGE!!! in real time. Not guessing on the gas gauge needle and waiting for the next fill up.
THe size up on the tires is also a winner for me. btw, what is your rpm at 60mph?
I'm at 1812 rpm at 60mph.
You didnt mention tire preesure? when I am on a road trip I run 49psi. around town I run 40. (i like the ride)
I would redo your check list: 2, 7, 8, 1.
If you do 7 edge to edge, there really is no reason to do a dam. you've smoothed uot where the air goes.
I intalled the IMPUL body kit several yrs before I found this site. ANd would still run it. I just happen to really like the look AND there is 'some' aero gain. What really helped the MPG was that the underbelly pan sealed all the edges so the air flows smoothly.

You certainly have the right attitude so GOOD LUCK and Welcome!

The SG is the best thing since sliced bread!
I already got 35 mpg on my last Gen4 Camry when I lived in SC and "commuted" to NY.
Was 757 miles from my house to my mom's on LI in NY and the '97 Camry would consistently get 34-36 without SG. With a non airbox intake you can "hear" when a engine is "purring" like a bobcat!
But the ability to monitor TPS and MAP just take it to the next level. Ease off TPS, watch MAP and MPG rise while MPH remains constant or drops ever so slowly until the next downhill.

He's mad I say, he's MAD.

If we could take the 1.8 liter 18RC I had in my old Celica, run it with the ECU and EFI of this 2000 and lower the Cd to say .25 this Camry would make 40 mpg. A 6 speed manual would keep it FUN!

I did a experimental upper grill delete by simple removing the upper grille, a few bolts on top and snap in's on the bottom. Stretched a old tee shirt over it, pulled it tight around back and stapled it. Then sprayed it 3 or 4 times with old cans of spray paint.
Its was still cold out and that mad MPG jump from 33.5 to 34.5.

Removed it now that its warm out. It was experimental and pretty dam ratty looking.
Did not want to get pulled over in the local "revenue" generating ticketing that goes on here in "season". Plan to redo once I get some free coroplast.

Pete

Bicycle Bob 05-09-2010 10:40 PM

Well, there's some glory in being first. Lewis and Clark overcame the lack of a trail, and were able to report that the land went all the way to the water. That was considered a great start.

Otto 05-09-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmomni (Post 173922)
....and try some flat makeshift hub caps. I really want to quantify/justify the expense of $120 for the fancy brushed stainless steel racing full moon hubcaps. Pete

Huh? Why not give the pizza pan or candle holder idea a shot? Much cheaper, aluminum, and prolly better looking. If you can attach properly.

pgmomni 05-10-2010 10:01 AM

Local wally marts only seem to have the 16" pizza pans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto (Post 173947)
Huh? Why not give the pizza pan or candle holder idea a shot? Much cheaper, aluminum, and prolly better looking. If you can attach properly.

How my cars appearance needs to stay "acceptable" as I do drive onsite to see clients and
if it gets too "abnormal" it could hurt biz.

What is the Candle holder idea?

tks, Pete

AeroModder 05-10-2010 10:10 AM

I don't know of anyone else that's aeromodded a Tempo, so there's lots of people who are taking first steps. XD

Red Lion 05-10-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmomni (Post 173972)
How my cars appearance needs to stay "acceptable" as I do drive onsite to see clients and

tks, Pete

But you don't have to worry about people seeing under your car, so as long as nothing's brightly covered and/or hanging down, no one will notice! Underbelly pans are perfect for you:thumbup:

mcrews 05-10-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob (Post 173934)
Well, there's some glory in being first. Lewis and Clark overcame the lack of a trail, and were able to report that the land went all the way to the water. That was considered a great start.

BikeBob,

I love that!!!!!:D

Can I Steal IT!!!!!!:thumbup:

mcrews 05-10-2010 10:34 PM

ab-normal......

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmomni (Post 173972)

tks, Pete

Couple of thoughts here.....
One of the reasons I stay here is BECAUSE the abnormals accept the normals.
There seems to be this prevailing attitude that it's ok to just 'try'. Not everybody has to be a 'dolphin' (talk about raising the bar!!!!!!) Not everybody has to drive a EV with no ac to be accepted.

And that is very cool:cool:

The other thing is that there is this sence of 'seriousness' that calls 'BS' when someone doesnt do any testing.:eek:

So I digressed.....
I'm in the same boat. I drive to my clients who happen to be elderly seniors in CARE. THe last thing I need for them to wonder what all the duck tape is all about:confused::eek::mad::o

Bicycle Bob 05-11-2010 12:55 AM

Pioneers

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 174058)
BikeBob,

I love that!!!!!:D

Can I Steal IT!!!!!!:thumbup:

Sure, enjoy. Seriously, Lewis & Clark were able to report that there was a lot of wagon-accessible land suitable for settlement. That's what changed history. Still, the moral here is that breaking trail is the usual way to the low-hanging fruit.

aerohead 05-11-2010 06:19 PM

rear spoiler

Mimicing the roofline of the contemporary Prius or Insight would put you in the money.
Since 'appearance' is an issue,you might search for a 'production' rear spoiler ( from any car ) which would fit the trunklid of the Camry,which would both extend the 'length'of the trunklid,and also terminate at a higher elevation at the trailing edge than what you have.
Consider,that for a modern day CIVIC sedan,to approach the low-drag roof of today's Insight requires a rear spoiler 130-mm high,reaching 65-mm further back.

pgmomni 05-12-2010 08:49 AM

Too bad they dont make/sell ecommoder body kits!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 174143)
Mimicing the roofline of the contemporary Prius or Insight would put you in the money.
Since 'appearance' is an issue,you might search for a 'production' rear spoiler ( from any car ) which would fit the trunklid of the Camry,which would both extend the 'length'of the trunklid,and also terminate at a higher elevation at the trailing edge than what you have.
Consider,that for a modern day CIVIC sedan,to approach the low-drag roof of today's Insight requires a rear spoiler 130-mm high,reaching 65-mm further back.

So the spoiler would need to be 5+ inches high and extend 2.5+ inches further back then the current trunk lip. That would like totally "ricer" on a Camry!

Nothing happening this week as I am busy stuck on more mundane tasks.

I did order 15" pizza pans I hope to install before my next 500-600 "commute".

The local Selectman election should end some free coraplast hopefully will be available.

Pete

chronoti 05-13-2010 04:50 PM

you can try swapping the 3s (2l vs 2.2l) in and if want to be extramish the new vvt-i they used in the rav4 has more lower power and better efficiency

or even the v6 5-speed would be a little less extreme and has a wider better gearing or crazier the 2010 6-speed

swapping to the eibach(same as the trd) drop springs will lower by about an inch and look wise is hardly noticeable and doesnt change the ride much

you can drop to 195 tires they were stock on the 96 4 cylinder. i'm not sure on the gen 4.5 if the 14" rims will fit

smt6 can allow you to adjust timing and a/f

also moving to a hotter plug will help if you check my log my moving to a cooler plug killed me about 2mpg BKR5ES11 ngk part number

and thats about all i can think of short of cf hood

pgmomni 05-14-2010 09:11 AM

tks for the input

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronoti (Post 174447)
you can try swapping the 3s (2l vs 2.2l) in and if want to be extramish the new vvt-i they used in the rav4 has more lower power and better efficiency

or even the v6 5-speed would be a little less extreme and has a wider better gearing or crazier the 2010 6-speed

swapping to the eibach(same as the trd) drop springs will lower by about an inch and look wise is hardly noticeable and doesnt change the ride much

you can drop to 195 tires they were stock on the 96 4 cylinder. i'm not sure on the gen 4.5 if the 14" rims will fit

smt6 can allow you to adjust timing and a/f

also moving to a hotter plug will help if you check my log my moving to a cooler plug killed me about 2mpg BKR5ES11 ngk part number

and thats about all i can think of short of cf hood

Lowering displacement while a interesting idea is too costly and the as this Gen4 is 2998 lbs probably not good idea.

Lowering is off the list for 2 reasons, 1 I live in Maine and sometimes the snow is deep and 2 my driveway restricts low clearance.

My 6.3% oversize diameter tires while wider then stock are my "poor mans" increase of final drive ratio.

The smt6 looks interesting!

The way the A/F seems to gravitate to 14.53% A/F all the time in "annoying". I believe it has to do with driveability at the expense of MPG
BUT the spark plugs show good clean combustion.

Only time it goes steady 14.7 is when coasting and MAP dips like below 6ish.

Pete

animated_zombie 05-27-2010 02:38 AM

Not that I'll be able to help you out much, I'm learning myself. But, here's another Camry here. :) Although, I have a 3rd gen vs. your 4th. Keep us updated to what you do; I've gotta steal ideas from somebody! :P

pgmomni 05-27-2010 08:41 AM

Ordered the 15" Flat Racing hupcaps yesterday...

When I bought the 15" pizza pans they were too small, needed the 16" pans to fit my 15" steel wheels correctly. So now my wife has 4 new 15" pizza pans in her kitchen.

Gave up and going the cheap route and paid $90 bucks on Ebay.

I reinstalled the upper grill block but did it behind the grille this time. My prior grille block was just a old tee shirt stretched over the removable grille. Pulled tight and stapled behind grille then sprayed with old paint I had a few times. Got my best yet MPG that way, 35.8 hwy. This current grille block is not as aero as the 1st one.

Today or tomorrow I may just go ahead and use expanding foam to make a flush to the fender to the hood line grille block. Plan is to line bumper area where removable grille sits with aluminum foil. Pop back in grille. Tape foil covered cardboard flush to the bumper up over the grille flush to the grille. Then spray expanding foam from the back of grille thru to fill in the entire area. Hoping it results in a full grille block that is smooth and flush with bumper up to the hood. I will then again cover the whole thing with black fabric.

If all goes as planned the entire grille will still be easily removed.

Of course there is the possibility the grille will be stuck in there too!

Pete

pgmomni 06-03-2010 02:28 PM

Finally got the racing hupcaps on just now....

They look great. Wish they came before yesterdays one day round trip from 03911 to 10017!

Will post the pic later.

Pete

pgmomni 06-03-2010 08:46 PM

Pics of Camry...

Full moon hubcaps:
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...NewHubCaps.jpg

Stock Drivers mirror, need better aero mirrors?:
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...eroMods007.jpg

Old to New Tires 195/70-14 to 205/70-15, 6.3% oversized. Bit wider too but inflated to 45 front, 40 rear they roll real well. Notice that nice solid center rib. Balance of smooth and LRR, quiet too.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...eroMods034.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...eroMods033.jpg

Going out to take a few more pics to post while I can.

Then perhaps we can discuss what other "easy" aero mods I can do keeping it the look reasonably normal. As I mentioned I do drive to clients in this car.

Pete

MetroMPG 06-03-2010 09:18 PM

Since you've raised the car slightly with the oversized tires, what about dropping it slightly to compensate?

I know others squirm when this technique is mentioned, but the old-school method of chopping off half a coil at each corner may work (depending on the spring / coil seat design).

I did see that you don't want a "lowered" ride, but returning to stock or slightly less may help slightly.

PS - the smoothies look great!

MetroMPG 06-03-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmomni (Post 177470)
Stock Drivers mirror, need better aero mirrors?

The best way to improve the aero there is to reduce frontal area. I'm assuming you probably don't want to delete/replace with a large convex mirror inside.

Tasdrouille went with a half-size convex racing mirror on his Jetta on the driver's side. Decent compromise.

pgmomni 06-03-2010 09:58 PM

Cheapo lowering...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 177476)
Since you've raised the car slightly with the oversized tires, what about dropping it slightly to compensate?

I know others squirm when this technique is mentioned, but the old-school method of chopping off half a coil at each corner may work (depending on the spring / coil seat design).

I did see that you don't want a "lowered" ride, but returning to stock or slightly less may help slightly.

PS - the smoothies look great!

I thought about the old school cut a coil trick but was told by a very knowledgeable Toyota Nation member its not doable due to the way the coil springs on the McPherson struts seat.

Just replaced the rear struts with Monro Quick Struts which added another 1/2 in height from the saggy old strut height too!

Then I thought, mmmm, remember how we used to add rubber coil spring extenders onto the rear springs when we were young? The basically fit in btw the coils and you got 4 of these rubber rectangles with fitted ends. Jammed 2 of the at the top and 2 at the bottom btw coils and it was the cheapo method of raising the rear or the car.

Front coils are soft as the struts are original. Easy to push down on car and lower it a inch or so. How about I take some of the heavy bungee shock cord I have from my old Hobie Cat and simply use it to compress the front coils? LOL
Its like 3/8 inch thick. I bet I could get it to lower the front a inch easily by wrapping it around the front coils several times so there is always downward tension. When I hit a bump and the spring recoils the bungee will have some stretch to it and give without a problem anyway.
I figure I can try a few wraps and road test it over bumps, cornering, braking and see how it handles. Add or remove some wraps until it lowers the front enough to remove the new added height.

Dam, SO need a garage. Dont currently have one or I'd try this right now.

Pete

pgmomni 06-03-2010 10:04 PM

I may just go ahead and delete the right mirror...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 177477)
The best way to improve the aero there is to reduce frontal area. I'm assuming you probably don't want to delete/replace with a large convex mirror inside.

Tasdrouille went with a half-size convex racing mirror on his Jetta on the driver's side. Decent compromise.

and add a blind spot mirror on the inside for the right side.

Left side a smaller racing mirror.

Need to think about it.

Going to move onto the underbelly. Lots to be done under there pretty easily in the front.

Will post some frontal pics from before I changed tires.

Need to discuss suggestions for air dam design.

tks

Pete

chronoti 06-03-2010 11:48 PM

i been looking in to the celica side mirrors they should be better

2win2rbo 06-04-2010 02:05 AM

With undercar mods on my Scepter, I am attaching a front diffuser to the front lip/air dam that I made. I will just fabricate it using aluminum. I will do this because our cars are aerodynamically dirty underneath.

chronoti 06-04-2010 10:21 AM

very true on the under side the gen 6 hybrid has ALOT of underbelly pans to reduce the drag also has shelds on the windshield wipers to help make it more flush to the cowl

MetroMPG 06-04-2010 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronoti (Post 177509)
i been looking in to the celica side mirrors they should be better

Unless they're physically smaller, I'd say there's no significant efficiency difference between them and them and the stock Camry mirrors.

lunarhighway 06-04-2010 05:21 PM

i think one area where a sidemirror causes drag is where it's attached to the body.

on my car the mirror is attached directly to the body, and on the highway in heavy rain i notices a weird swirl (not the mirrors wake wich was also visible)at that location and also a stream of water coming over the edge. not sure what that means, but it all looked like dirty aero...
most new cars have mirrors that are separated from the body, more or less attached with a boom...

i think the way your mirrors are designed is good in this respect, with a "thin" attachement.

pgmomni 06-05-2010 08:59 AM

Started work on front lip/spoiler...

Put car up on ramps and crawled under to see what I could do.

This is what I have managed to do so far. Hope to finish it this AM once the torrential rains stop.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...ontSpoiler.jpg

I am using Certaineed Vinyl siding left over from my house. Looks kinda like this on the house.

Looks better to the eye then this pic looks. Color "matches" cars paint pretty well. From 10 feet away it almost looks OEM stock! Beauty is of course in the eyes of the beholder.

Will post how to pics when I am done.

Pete

MainStreet - Horizontal Siding - Vinyl Siding & Polymer Shakes - CertainTeed

animated_zombie 06-05-2010 12:22 PM

pgmomni, that's a really brilliant idea using house vinyl. n00b question, but is that outdoor siding vinyl? It kinda looks like the lower wall mounding, so I'm not quite sure what you meant. I'll be interested to see the final results! :thumbup:

pgmomni 06-05-2010 12:43 PM

To me part of ecomodding is using what you got or can get free!

Yes, its vinyl exterior siding. One by one my wife and kids are less and less inclined to be seen riding in my car! Good, less dead weight to carry around!

The raw materials. Original on left, bottom half of siding used as front of spoiler, top half slide in behind after front is attached to car to increase rigidity.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...wMaterials.jpg

ProtoType1 Front View:
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...FrontView1.jpg

Leftside view of end:
I cut "tabs" into the plastic bumper cover and the lip from the siding is slide under these tabs. On the ends I simple cut a slit in the bumper cover and the edged of the side is insert into it. This creates a bowed length of siding that is "stuck" in/under the edge of the bumper cover.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...1LeftSide3.jpg

RightSide view of end, notice how the top piece of siding has been flipped over and slide in behind the front top half. That made it 3 or 4 times as rigid as just the one length of siding.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...RightSide2.jpg
I am adding brackets right now. 1 at each end of the lower fairing opening and 1 at each end before the wheels.

It is getting quite strong and rigid.

Need input from aero experts on how/where to cut the ends.

More pics later.

Pete

chronoti 06-05-2010 08:36 PM

noice i was in a parking lot yesterday and got some ruff measurements celica mirror and it seemed close now i just need to head out to my local u-pull and do some fitting there to make sure before i buy them

and another lip for us gen 3 guys is the ford taurus (94-96?) lip it's only about an inch tho but it fits on ....lol i forgot all about it might go looking for one them too when i go.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Toyota-Celica-GT-4-Passenger-Side-Mirror-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b4776219QQitemZ11040 1905177QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

i guess early 90's gt trim mirror 5th gen

animated_zombie 06-05-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronoti (Post 177731)
noice i was in a parking lot yesterday and got some ruff measurements celica mirror and it seemed close now i just need to head out to my local u-pull and do some fitting there to make sure before i buy them

and another lip for us gen 3 guys is the ford taurus (94-96?) lip it's only about an inch tho but it fits on ....lol i forgot all about it might go looking for one them too when i go.

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-Toyota-Celica-GT-4-Passenger-Side-Mirror-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b4776219QQitemZ11040 1905177QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

i guess early 90's gt trim mirror 5th gen

The Ford Taurus lip is popular over on Toyota Nation. One thing that I just saw over there that also seemed like a good idea was using garage door weather stripping. It actually gives a pretty cool OEM+ look.

Home Depot Lip

pgmomni 06-05-2010 09:31 PM

Its almost complete...

Quote:

Originally Posted by animated_zombie (Post 177738)
The Ford Taurus lip is popular over on Toyota Nation. One thing that I just saw over there that also seemed like a good idea was using garage door weather stripping. It actually gives a pretty cool OEM+ look.

Home Depot Lip

Both the Taurus Lip and the garage door gasket/weather strip are not tall enough. More like cosmetic changes then true aero ecomod.

Vinyl siding comes in various heights, what I just added comes out to 3.5+ inches. Now that its all "installed" I have a template and could easily try some 10" siding to yield 5" spoiler/air dam.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...Svc1Front1.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...Svc1Front2.jpg

Pete

aerohead 06-09-2010 05:13 PM

where to cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgmomni (Post 177677)
Yes, its vinyl exterior siding. One by one my wife and kids are less and less inclined to be seen riding in my car! Good, less dead weight to carry around!

The raw materials. Original on left, bottom half of siding used as front of spoiler, top half slide in behind after front is attached to car to increase rigidity.
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...wMaterials.jpg

ProtoType1 Front View:
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...FrontView1.jpg

Leftside view of end:
I cut "tabs" into the plastic bumper cover and the lip from the siding is slide under these tabs. On the ends I simple cut a slit in the bumper cover and the edged of the side is insert into it. This creates a bowed length of siding that is "stuck" in/under the edge of the bumper cover.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...1LeftSide3.jpg

RightSide view of end, notice how the top piece of siding has been flipped over and slide in behind the front top half. That made it 3 or 4 times as rigid as just the one length of siding.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...RightSide2.jpg
I am adding brackets right now. 1 at each end of the lower fairing opening and 1 at each end before the wheels.

It is getting quite strong and rigid.

Need input from aero experts on how/where to cut the ends.

More pics later.

Pete

If you can cut the bare minimum away,which allows the tire clearance during it's full range of motion,including suspension travel,plus a little extra for ice build up in winter,then I guess you're 'there'.
Without a pan,you're moving the air around the car instead of under so that's good.
You'll notice on modern front ends,the airdam wraps around to the sides in a generous radius such that the air is directed straight down the side of the car rather than 'blowing' out the side.

pgmomni 06-10-2010 03:40 PM

YES, results are in...

Last round trip/tank was 645 miles on 17.94 gal for 35.95 mpg.

This trip/tank was 675 miles on 18.326 gals for 36.88 mpg.

avg speed was 47 mph as this trip involved more stop and go traffic, more congested traffic driving then usual.

There were some times while driving up a slight incline, route includes sections thru some mountains, where holding TPS at 17, 70+ mph, mpg stayed above 30 and was able to maintain speed.

Need to reduce drag further. Might just try 12" vinyl siding that would yield 5" high spoiler
as opposed to this 10" siding that made this a 3.5+" deep spoiler. Shape it better at ends to "dump" the air flow to side of car like aerohead posted.

Rear spoiler that actually reduces drag?

Under body panels for sure.

Pete