EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Glad to be here (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/glad-here-447.html)

bestmapman 12-28-2007 10:58 PM

Glad to be here

Hi all. This is a great site. I have a Gen 1 Prius. I want to mod it out as much as possible. Basjoos, you're my hero.

I first project is to build rear wheel skirts. I hope to get some help here.

MetroMPG 12-28-2007 11:05 PM

Hi bestmapman - welcome to the site.

The Aerocivic is a stunning machine isn't it?

I've added skirts to my car, and measured about a 3% efficiency gain at 80 km/h / 50 mph. I also attempted a number of tests (admittedly flawed) to measure the effectiveness of skirts on a 2007 Camry Hybrid, as well as a 2006 Corolla. Just so you don't get your hopes up too much, I'd estimate that rear skirts on a sedan like your Prius will probably only improve efficiency slightly - ie. in the range of 1-2% at around 55 mph.

That said, in my books, 1-2% is worth chasing!

A number of people here have posted pictorial DIY's on skirt construction. I'm just heading out, but if you don't turn them up before tomorrow, I'll post links.

AndrewJ 12-29-2007 12:03 AM

my thread has some pics of the rear wheel skirt building process.

For me the trick was finding the right materials to build with. Find a sheet of plastic about 1/8" or so thick. Try your local home-improvement stores and if all else fails, a plastics supplier. You can find anything you need online, but shipping a full sheet of 4'x8' plastic is a killer.

bestmapman 12-29-2007 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 3331)
my thread has some pics of the rear wheel skirt building process.

For me the trick was finding the right materials to build with. Find a sheet of plastic about 1/8" or so thick. Try your local home-improvement stores and if all else fails, a plastics supplier. You can find anything you need online, but shipping a full sheet of 4'x8' plastic is a killer.

Where did you get the ABS plastic?

AndrewJ 12-29-2007 12:12 AM

From my areas' former local plastics supplier / grumpy old guy that builds sheds.
He happened to have a sheet of ABS lying around collecting dust, and he (reluctantly) sold it to me. As for finding him, I just looked up "Plastics Suppliers" in the Yellowpages.

SVOboy 12-29-2007 12:31 AM

Welcome to the site! I can't wait to see what you do with the prius, :)

metroschultz 12-29-2007 10:32 AM

greetings and salutations, that said, plastic sheeting can be found on google. most of your home improvement stores sell it online. My own first mods are going to be; re-manufacture my engine, and replace the tranny with the higher reaer gear unit. I have to make the engine as efficient first and foremost.
Glad to see you. S.
Keep us posted.

bestmapman 12-29-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metroschultz (Post 3354)
greetings and salutations, that said, plastic sheeting can be found on google. most of your home improvement stores sell it online. My own first mods are going to be; re-manufacture my engine, and replace the tranny with the higher reaer gear unit. I have to make the engine as efficient first and foremost.
Glad to see you. S.
Keep us posted.

Here is what I have done so far.

1) aerodynmaic hubcas (from Mikes)
2) Front grill blocking
3) remove radio antennae (want a shark fin)
4) scan guage
5) EV button
6) EBH (engine block heater)

Now I want to get into some more extensive mods.

Currently I can get 60 MPG in the city consistently, 70 MPG if I can stay to my planned route.

On the highway I am consistently only at 50 MPG. I want to move that up as much as possible.

So, Aero mods here I come.

SVOboy 12-29-2007 12:30 PM

Do you have any pictures of what you've done thus far? I'd be really interested to see them on a 1st gen prius.

bestmapman 12-29-2007 01:43 PM

It is the generation 2 Prius. Sorry typo in the first post. I'll post some pics shortly.