EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   GM says: next Aveo will have class leading MPG (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/gm-says-next-aveo-will-have-class-leading-2792.html)

MetroMPG 06-04-2008 12:13 PM

GM says: next Aveo will have class leading MPG

Via GCC:

Buried among announcements about the possible demise/sale of HUMMER, green-lighting the Volt and a bunch of other stuff...

Quote:

Also recently approved was a next generation of the popular Chevy Aveo. Based on a global architecture, the Aveo is also expected to have segment-leading fuel economy when it goes on sale in the US market in the second half of 2010.
We'll of course see if that actually materializes, but it's nice to see GM may... MIGHT.. perhaps go from last place MPG in the subcompact segment to aiming for the top.

Are the small car fuel economy wars of the 80's and early 90's back on?

I hope so.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2008...sponds-to.html

tasdrouille 06-04-2008 01:02 PM

If only they could come out with something like what was the vw lupo 3l (the audi a2 3l would be asking too much...), and gas prices continue to go up, they'll probably have a winner there.

jsl4980 06-04-2008 02:30 PM

GM doesn't improve their products compared to their class, they'll just change the class of the vehicle. In 2010 the Aveo will be considered a full size SUV. ;)

MetroMPG 06-04-2008 02:45 PM

tasdrouille: I read a separate news item that suggested Canadian automakers are seriously looking at bringing more A-segment vehicles here. (A Hyundai executive's comments.) So maybe it'll happen - Hyundai has the Getz in Europe - competes with the Polo and the other super minis.

jsl: oh, so cynical! And possibly correct!

ebacherville 06-04-2008 03:10 PM

OK so 2 years well have to wait and all the other manufactures are now trying for better MPG too.. GM will still be last in the race.. they need to make HUGE ground.. by 2010 honda or toyota will put out some new thing plugin hybrid that makes the volt look like a brick on wheels and a extension cord outlet on the front.

use carbon fiber or aluminum, Lighten the cars put small diesels in them.. easy formula for 70 mpg and hel of a lot longer life.. no rust on AL or CF cars..

Still think my idea car would be a mazda RX8 with a fuel efficient motor instead of the gas guzzler rotary they got in there now... its a 2door 4 door aluminum small car.. just needs about 15th the HP to make it a fuel miser.

i_am_socket 06-04-2008 04:39 PM

well, going by vehicle size growth by generation... LINK ... it could be considered a full size SUV in the next gen ;)

Still waiting on that tiny Al/CF plugin with biodiesel generator backup...

whokilledthejams 06-04-2008 04:44 PM

With any luck, the next-gen Aveo won't be a hasty rebadge of a POS Daewoo, either. To say the FE of the current model is lackluster is being polite. Hell, GM just put out an efficiency-centered trim package for the Cobalt that's rated at 36mpg highway (via taller gearing and LRR tires, mostly), so we all know the Aveo can do better.

JohnnyGrey 06-04-2008 04:51 PM

Exactly, the Cobalt makes the current Aveo obsolete. Why would ANYONE buy an Aveo? "No thanks, I don't need the extra cargo space or MPG." :p

homeworkhome53 06-04-2008 07:10 PM

Last 2007 Aveo tank, 350 miles, 48.32 MPG. what's the problem. Not bad for a car which new, went out the door for $9500 including tax, lics, and title. I couldn't ask for more and nothing in it's price could do better, cause there is nothing in it's price range. The nearest I could find was a Toyota Yaris and it was $13,500 not including tax, lics. and title. Would I ever get that $4k+
back with the mpg difference, doubt it. I bought cause my workride melted down. It was either that or used and the used didn't come with a 100,000 mile warranty.
POS Daewoo, maybe. I'll be ready for a trade just about when the new ones get here. How's that for timing. Don't care, they said the same thing about my '77 pinto wagon, 274,000 mile later I traded it for a Merc. A week later I wished I had the Pinto back. Other than a couple clutches that car never gave a moments trouble. Here,s hoping this POS Deawoo Aveo does the same.

homeworkhome53

JohnnyGrey 06-04-2008 07:14 PM

Why are the EPAs ratings of the Aveo so ridiculously crappy?