Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Eric's Explorer - '01 Ford Explorer Sport 4x4
90 day: 19.05 mpg (US)

E's V - '07 Nissan Versa SL
90 day: 33.11 mpg (US)
Chinese double din GPS units, any good?

Hey guys.

I recently bought a 2007 Nissan Versa hatchback in very good shape and am thinking of replacing the stereo head-unit with a touchscreen GPS unit.

My question is, has anyone gotten one of the double din GPS head-units that seem to be littering e-bay at around $250? Are they any good? The descriptions look great but I wonder if they fall in the "too good to be true" category.

I mean if you can get a chinese system that works well for under $300, why would anyone go with the $1000 factory installed option?

So are these any good? They look relatively easy to install, or will I be pulling on my hair after pulling on the wires?

Thanks for any help!

ERIC

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Dirty330 Modder

CruzeRS - '15 Chevy Cruze LT RS
90 day: 41.29 mpg (US)
when it comes to car audio i would not buy through ebay as some of the cheaper radios that should be higher priced can turn to be junk which is where the return policy comes in.

I never understood buying a $1000 radio package on a car when you could spend $1000 on aftermarket and have better audio.

radios are extremely easy to install just make sure to get a good oem install kit or the pre-installed car amps will cause the audio to not work

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
- Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I got a single din and it was not a good buy. The first mistake was getting one with a touch screen. It would randomly press buttons on its own and changed features unless I popped off the detachable screen. I did so as I like the radio on a certain station as I drove in my sidekick.

Later it failed and blew a fuse. The fuses were switched in the fuse holders. You know the power vs the accessory fuse.

I think if I did it again Id get one that has real buttons vs the touch screen and when I tried to look for one like i purchased I noticed it was redone with buttons. I purchased it a year ago and had just got to installation it a few months ago so I couldnt take advantage of the warranty.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Thanks guys. So it sounds like a "you get what you pay for" situation then. That is too bad but not wholly unexpected.

I might go for it anyway and keep the factory head-unit handy for switching back if needed, or consider installing a single din radio as well and just use the unit for GPS if it comes to that.

I might do the lights first. I am thinking I will have a car modification budget equal to how much I save compared to driving the Explorer.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mines was easy to install and in engrish. Itt even had directions how to over ride the brake interlock by grounding it.

Id search them all and look for one thats marked by ebay as hot or shows x number had been sold and its in the 100s. I am looking at a 7 inch single din where the monitor hangs down below the radio opening so I can keep my storage pocket.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

OK cool, thanks again.