EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Googled hypermiling...found myself here ('17 Jetta 1.4T auto) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/googled-hypermiling-found-myself-here-17-jetta-1-a-37211.html)

BSEM 01-19-2019 02:34 AM

Googled hypermiling...found myself here ('17 Jetta 1.4T auto)

I've been trying to eek out as many MPGs as possible lately and I'd heard the term hypermiling so I typed it in Google and, well, here I am. I have a 2017 Jetta with the 1.4t and an automatic trans. I'm looking forward to learning the best ways to reduce fuel consumption. Does anyone know the most efficient engine RPM when cruising in 6th gear....or any particular gear for that matter? Thanks!

niky 01-19-2019 05:00 AM

Depends on the engine and transmission.

With the VW diesels, you sometimes do a little better if the engine is in the boost rather than just off-idle, but I'm not quite sure if that extends to their gasoline turbos.

Experimentation is definitely in order.

seifrob 01-19-2019 08:23 AM

As far ad I know, lowest RPM with turbo fully active. With diesels its around 2200 rpm, but you need to find yourself. Try to search for kW vs RPM charts, o;-)r torque vs RPM. You can usually tell where the boost is active.
And get either OBD2 adaptor and Torque app, or ScanGauge or UltraGauge or similar device. Ot will tell you more.

Oh, I almost forgot: Welcome to the forum! :)

BSEM 01-19-2019 08:25 AM

Thanks, Niky. I included the engine & transmission info but I guess I should have been more specific in saying I wanted an answer that applied specifically to my car. I've been experimenting but I asked because I thought there might be a chance someone would be able to share some definitive info. Also, the Jetta does not include a gauge or any other mechanism to inform you that it is using boost.

slowmover 01-19-2019 08:38 AM

It’s not stunt driving, it’s
Records.

Cut the annual miles is
First

Drive the remaining fewer miles (having accomplished same ends) at a higher level of
Skill

Which is pretty much Never Stop & Never Idle

The key to it all is
Discipline

Tally annual miles & all fuel purchased. Plan all trips. No cold starts. Combined errands. Best routing.

Against Average Miles per
HOUR

Raise that number by 20% and you’ll see
Savings

BSEM 01-19-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seifrob (Post 589044)
As far ad I know, lowest RPM with turbo fully active. With diesels its around 2200 rpm, but you need to find yourself. Try to search for kW vs RPM charts, o;-)r torque vs RPM. You can usually tell where the boost is active.
And get either OBD2 adaptor and Torque app, or ScanGauge or UltraGauge or similar device. Ot will tell you more.

Oh, I almost forgot: Welcome to the forum! :)

Thank you!

I had thought that being under boost decreases efficiency. Thanks for that info. I'll have to search for some charts.

BSEM 01-19-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 589048)
It’s not stunt driving, it’s
Records.

Cut the annual miles is
First

Drive the remaining fewer miles (having accomplished same ends) at a higher level of
Skill

Which is pretty much Never Stop & Never Idle

The key to it all is
Discipline

Tally annual miles & all fuel purchased. Plan all trips. No cold starts. Combined errands. Best routing.

Against Average Miles per
HOUR

Raise that number by 20% and you’ll see
Savings

Yup, all common sense stuff.

Do you know where I can look to find info for the most efficient engine RPM when cruising in 6th gear of my particular car?

seifrob 01-19-2019 01:07 PM

The rewiew I was able to find says 100 km/ h, 2500 rpm, 5.7 l/100 km. But it is 6 speed manual. All (around 400?) jettas in my country are probably manual.

Buy bluetooth OBD2 dongle. Its about $6. Put it in your OBD port, pair itwith your smartphone. Download Torque pro app ($4). Enjoy instant MPG and more. Find what suits you best.

Btw the rewiew says peak torque from 1500 to 4000 rpm, so keep in this band.

oil pan 4 01-19-2019 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BSEM (Post 589062)
Thank you!

I had thought that being under boost decreases efficiency. Thanks for that info. I'll have to search for some charts.

In a gasoline powered engine.
Diesel engines want more air.

BSEM 01-19-2019 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 589098)
In a gasoline powered engine.
Diesel engines want more air.

Thanks for clarifying. So, to be sure..
Gas engine under boost = bad (inefficient)
Diesel engine under boost = good (efficient)

?