EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   got my first car (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/got-my-first-car-7742.html)

Wilden 04-04-2009 03:36 PM

got my first car

Hey guys,

Got my first car on wednesday, a Citroen Ax. Cheap and chearful to say the least, it goes well and I'm happy with it. From all the digging I've been doing I found out that it has a Cd of .31, which I think it pretty good for a car designed in to 80's, and should be getting at least 50mpg (uk).

I've done 170 miles in the last few days, using less than half a tank (which I think is about 10 gallons), most of which was highway driving at 50-60. There was a fair amount of city driving though, so I'm curious to see what the efficiency is once I fill it up again.

Anyone got any idea's as to what mods I can do for it to help improve my FE? I'll go take a few pics soon to show you all.

Wilden

SVOboy 04-04-2009 03:49 PM

Sweet stuff, looking forward to seeing the car.

Check out the list of ecomods: 60+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com

Wilden 04-04-2009 04:31 PM

Here are the pics I promised, sorry it's a bit dark, took them just now and my flash is a little bit crappy.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...n/DSC_0043.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...n/DSC_0044.jpg

cfg83 04-05-2009 01:54 AM

Wilden -

Cool car! It's got the Metro look to it. I like the spoilerette, the slight rear-wheel skirt, and the almost wheel-covers. It has all the subtle Citroen aero-cues.

CarloSW2

theunchosen 04-05-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 95847)
It has all the subtle Citroen aero-cues.

CarloSW2

It does indeed!

I second this. It beat the pants off my First car. Ford Taurus SE(It was a V8 and the second last year that they put a V8 in the Taurus)

It had Cd of a concrete brick and an automatic trans.

The quick and easies for your car(depends on what you plan on using it for) look like seat deletes.

I'm not sure how difficult that might be or how often you use them. But if you rarely use them you should delete the back row to save weight and if you never carry passengers you could delete your passenger seat as well.

Other weight deletes like spare tire depend on, does anyone in your family own a wrecker service, if your tire did go flat how long would you have to wait before someone could bring the spare to you, would that be detrimental, things like that.

Wilden 04-05-2009 06:12 PM

I think the main issue with deleting the back row of seats is that I won't have anywhere to store the pieces, which sucks a bit. Plus I'm likely to be ferrying my mates all over the place in it (uni student here). Also, as it doesn't have split rear seats I dont think its going to be very easy to remove as there isn't enough space in the car to turn it around to get it out of the boot.

I would consider removing the space tyre, but as I'm at uni, my parents and rest of the family are quite a way away so its not really an option. I've been thinking about an air-dam at the front, and possibly some wheel skirts at the back, but unfortunately I won't be able to do any of these until the summer. So its all planning for me now.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

theunchosen 04-05-2009 07:21 PM

Yeah I can relate to you on all of those. As to why I have not done them myself. same situation lol

blueflame 04-06-2009 07:17 AM

I have 3 Citroen AX's

What model and year do you have?

I have 3 Citroen AX's

I just drive one most days. An AX10re.

I think the TRS use more fuel than RE models.

I've had 1000cc, 1100cc and 1360cc AX's but the 954cc is the most economical, at 45hp compared to 85hp single carb GT's or 100hp 2 carb GT's.

I have fitted 135/80x 13 tyres which have a bigger diameter. This raises all the gear ratios and improved economy. I run 60psi in the tyres. I use HAI. In Britain I would do the grill block but would recommend a temperature gauge first.

I'm consistently getting over 75mpg Imperal sometimes 80mpg.

Lots of engine off gliding and keeping the speed under 90km/hr.

Dont beleive some of the anglocentric froggy bashing stuff on the net.

I have had over 10 Citroen Ax's and am impressed with their reliability, just dont get in a smash up if you want to live.

Just remember to service them correctly especially coolant changes. Most cars die because they are killed.

Wilden 04-06-2009 09:31 AM

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep that all in mind. I'm setting off on a 60 mile trip to my girlfriends tomorrow, gonna check the coolent levels and everything before I leave. I did the tyres a few days ago but am a bit wary of pumping them up to over what is recommended.

MetroMPG 04-06-2009 10:41 AM

Congrats on the buy, Wilden. Is it fuel injected?

If so, I'd say the very first mod should be to get yourself an MPGuino so you have instant & average fuel consumption feedback. Everything else (technique & mods) is based on this.