Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
New ride, small car with big consumption

Even I still have Citroen that I have managed to run with rather fuel efficiently, I have had no use for car for quite some time, so no need for fueling either.

For this summer I bought last autumn something bit older, 1981 Volvo 343 variomatic with 1.4l engine.

This will be true challenge to get going with small amount of fuel as there are some limiting factors.

Car has continuously variating transmission, that is no gears, just forward and backwards, goes as fast to both directions, total drive reduction varies from 14.5:1 to 4:1 without any steps. That 4:1 causes of course revs to be rather high as tire size of thing is 155/80/13.

Engine is 1.4l Renault based very basic motor, it has carburettor with one barrel only.

Aerodynamics then, well, it is 3dr model (hatchback) which is better than sedan, but it is not the most aerodynamic one, I believe cd is around 0.36, with frontal area of around 1.95 square meters.

Car is kind of classic, so not much of modding possible, mainly those invisible mods that are removable and no need to drill new holes or anything like that.

I bought it with broken 'transmission' it could not go much faster than 60kph and engine was screaming like being killed at that speed, but I fixed electromagnetic vacuum valve that controls transmission ratios and now it goes rather well.

Still some servicing left to do.

Car has only 133 341 original kilometers driven with good servicing, but after gearing trouble it stood years.

Typically people average around 10l/100km with these, I'm not sure what kind of target I should set as hilly ground is increasing fuel consumption a lot with these so not quite sure if I can get 40% off from that, I doubt it, anything more than 20% less than typical consumption is very good, I believe.

Just realized that I have no single good photo from the car, only pics that show some details of it, but here is rear section that is most important for aerodynamics:

I did quickly browse photo folders and two rather poor pics were found:

At least for people in United States this car might not be very known of as it was never sold there.

It can turn around on a dime and is very easy to work with, also parts are very cheap and insurance costs less than 100 euros for a full year, so with no need to drive a lot it is rather cheap to run despite bit high fuel consumption.

Also it is kind of nice challenge to try to get low consumption on this car, very big challenge

The Following User Says Thank You to jtbo For This Useful Post:
redorchestra (03-18-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbo View Post
Holy heck if that thing isn't screaming for a grill block.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
really cool car. great purchase!

does my sig work now?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy View Post
Holy heck if that thing isn't screaming for a grill block.
That is at least quite easy to apply, using clear plastic sheet and black zip ties. Note how radiator is only at one side, so it is not much of issue to block at least half. Actually making whole new grille is not big issue as it is very easy to remove, like every bit with this car very easy to work with. Even underside of car there is left room for tools, it is bit like if it was designed to be user serviceable, that is rare

Because of transmission car uses quite high rpms constantly, it does make of course bit more of heat and increases fuel consumption too. Maximum torque comes at 3900rpm from my memory and when there is increased load because of hill or acceleration that is where transmission tries to keep rpm and then adjust ratios to maximum where rpm can be held up.

I have not yet figured out what kind of driving technique might provide best results, but perhaps brisk acceleration to desired speed and then easing off so that transmission can catch up and rpms are lower sooner. It is same rpms used if acceleration is gentle or brisk, difference is only in time how long it takes to achieve desired speed and of course with larger throttle opening more air goes trough and that picks up more fuel too with every second.

Drive is by two rubber belts actually.

At least that electric cord hanging from front lip must go, it is for block heater, but there is perhaps quite a lot better places for that than hanging like such.

Here is underside of car, from back to front, quite bit of rust, but my plan is remove all rust and give it good paint and underseal, however as you have probably noticed it is bit too snowy for that at the moment. Rear axle is bit of an angle there as I managed to put different amount of stands under wheels, so in reality things look to be bit more straight under there, except that silencer:

I don't know if there are much of possibilities for underside as I set so much limitations, no new holes, also mods should be invisible for most part at least.
Also there is airflow path trough tramission, vents at front bumper are for that and those plastic shields are designed to guide airflow to correct places.

Probably most that will come to underside is under engine bay shield, which car has had when new, but which is of course lost at some point. Rear axle area is a mess, but there is not much to do about it, I guess.

Mudflaps will stay

Most saving must then come from driving I guess, or maybe I can get another box controller and tweak a bit of how transmission gears up, that might do something.

I did put larger tires to rear already so that is something, bit over inch difference in tire diameter

Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
yes, a belly pan will help greatly.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle