EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Greetings: (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/greetings-26796.html)

Doktor Bert 08-27-2013 07:31 PM

Greetings:

3 Attachment(s)
Saw this forum and it piqued my interest. Former road racer, fabricator, tuner and driving instructor. I thought it would be interesting to share a little of my car's history with all of you.

I've been driving a 1978 MBZ 300SD for a number of years (MBZ awarded 1 million mile car) and it has always delivered solid 25-26 mpg numbers in basically stock condition. I have increased the boost pressure to 1 BaR but very little has been changed, other than a very good rebuild with gapless rings.

Interestingly, I actually lost mpg when I recently switched from a 3.07:1 to a 2.47:1 axle.

My 440 RWHP 1975 Pontiac Firebird with a 3.42:1 axle would get 15-17 on the freeway with a carb, which is good for a 413 CID motor with a carb, but certainly nothing to brag about here.

My folks have a 2003 Mercuray Grand Marquis that gets 23-25 and it is totally stock with a 4.6 Romeo V8.

Then there is my stock 2001 Mustang with a 3.27:1 axle that knocks down 24-26mpg on a regular basis and on a recent Florida trip, netted 30 mpg (29.85) in Arizona, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama, but dropped back to 25 mpg in Texas, New Mexico and Florida, due in part, I believe, to the oxygenated fuels.

I am interested to see what some of you are doing to pull such ridiculous mileage numbers from your cars.

Regards....

NachtRitter 08-27-2013 09:46 PM

Welcome, from one dieseler to another! I think you forgot to explain the Pierce Arrow and the 911... ? :)

Daox 08-28-2013 08:43 AM

Welcome to the site.

Did you have anything in mind car modification wise that you were thinking of doing?

mcrews 08-28-2013 09:18 AM

Welcome!
1. Get a mpg gauge of some kind
2. up the psi.

Two very good starts!!

MetroMPG 08-28-2013 11:12 AM

Lots of overlap in your interests/skills and those of active members around here.

Welcome to the forum!

Doktor Bert 10-07-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 387525)
Welcome, from one dieseler to another! I think you forgot to explain the Pierce Arrow and the 911... ? :)

I had a number od old Porsche's and Lamborghini's over the years, not to mention many old and classic cars, so I just threw up a few pics for conversations's sake...

Doktor Bert 10-07-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 387592)
Welcome to the site.

Did you have anything in mind car modification wise that you were thinking of doing?

I'm interested in upping MPG, of course, so I am just picking smarter people's brains in here...:turtle:

Doktor Bert 10-07-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 387597)
Welcome!
1. Get a mpg gauge of some kind
2. up the psi.

Two very good starts!!

Can you define/suggest an MPG gauge??? You mean a vacuum gauge???

Gealii 10-07-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doktor Bert (Post 394403)
Can you define/suggest an MPG gauge??? You mean a vacuum gauge???

A vacuum gauge could help but typically it means scangauge/ultragauge/mpguino.

A scangauge and ultragauge are basically the same it plugs into the obdII port to give instant feedback on tons of gauges. The main difference between the 2 is the price the scangauge is $150usd through the ecomodder store and the ultragauge is around $70usd

The mpguino is a pre obdII version of the scangauge.

UltArc 10-07-2013 06:50 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...uge-17500.html

I suggest the SCii, I love it compared to the UG. The UG is nice for a display, but I find it difficult to work while I drive, or adjust. I believe it can handle at least 8 gauges.

I just ordered another SGii, it's the third I've had...

I'd check out the threads (more threads)

You will find what you like more, but the SGii doesn't need to be mounted with anything but itself, it does not cost extra for anything, it's a nice solid square, mine has never over heated (the UG did once), the background color changes (I like using red and keeping it at the window because the eyes adjust fastest to red and it is a good distance), and I love being able to just press the buttons to switch between data, and to clear info if I want to test.

Others may prefer it, but the lack of ease to use/adjust while driving really sets the UG as #2. Good luck in your search :)