Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello from "crisis land!" (Greece)

hi everybody, I 'm from the crisis-land (Greece)! great site and great forum! I 'm extrelely interesting about fuel saving driving techniques, fuel additives etc. and not so mutch about heavy car modifacations

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbloggergr View Post
hi everybody, I 'm from the crisis-land (Greece)! great site and great forum! I 'm extrelely interesting about fuel saving driving techniques, fuel additives etc. and not so mutch about heavy car modifacations
Welcome to ecomodder.
Sorry to see your nice country in such a state though

You'll probably like to hear that a lot can be gained by changing your driving habits

Check out the 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com and start practicing as many as safe and possible in your situation.

Some very light car modifications can result in a better fuel economy.
Blocking the grille of the car is rather effective - all car manufacturers do it to some degree. Just keep an eye on the coolant temperature - in the hot Greek summer you might want to remove the grille block.

Increasing tyre pressure helps greatly.

If you do much city or mountain driving, get rid of as much weight as possible.
Most people keep far too much stuff in their car

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Car Guy

Red Skate - '98 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 37.98 mpg (US)
Welcome - my daughter spent 4 months living in your lovely country - she enjoyed the history and stayed away from the protests. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

..I am impressed from your warm welcome guys..The taxes in gasoline are toooooo high in Greece, so it is essential the fuel saving! My efforts concerning mpg gain focus on ecodriving, experimenting with cheap fuel additives in gasoline (such as acetone, nitro solvent, toluene) and magnets. I look forward for applying the modifications you suggest, in order to gain some more mileage!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
The taxes in gasoline are toooooo high in Greece, so it is essential the fuel saving!
Greek fuel prices are second only to the Norwegian prices, but it must be a lot harder on the Greeks.

Quote:
My efforts concerning mpg gain focus on ecodriving
There's a lot to be gained using different driving techniques.

Quote:
experimenting with cheap fuel additives in gasoline (such as acetone, nitro solvent, toluene) and magnets.
Acetone has worked for some, but be careful about fuel pump seals, plastic fuel tank, ...
Essentially, it's also a fuel, though it doesn't get taxed.
Nitrous solvents aren't good for the environment, increasing the NOx output.
Toluene is pretty harmful.

AFAIK, there's only 1 ecomodder who claims magnets have somehow helped him to improve his mileage, So I wouldn't spend any money on them.

Quote:
I look forward for applying the modifications you suggest, in order to gain some more mileage!
What car are you driving ?

The easiest mods are increased tyre pressure, driving slower, a grille block (watch the temperatures) and an air dam.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Quote:
..I am impressed from your warm welcome guys..The taxes in gasoline are toooooo high in Greece, so it is essential the fuel saving! My efforts concerning mpg gain focus on ecodriving, experimenting with cheap fuel additives in gasoline (such as acetone, nitro solvent, toluene) and magnets. I look forward for applying the modifications you suggest, in order to gain some more mileage!
I would be highly skeptical about additives like that. Be sure to read what others have found. Much of the discussions can be found in the unicorn corral:

The Unicorn Corral - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 10-20-2011, 02:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I drive 2 cars..1) Opel Astra G 1.4l..I gained about 8.5 l / 100 km in the city (27.67 mpg), and 5 l / 100 km (47.04 mpg) out of the city..Average 6.75 l / 100 km (34.85 MPG). These gains are made only by ecodriving and use of magnets. Magnets worked for me in Astra and I gained a decrease in fuel compsumption about 0.75 l / 100 km (from 31.36 MPG average to 34.85 MPG)
2) Citroen C3 1.1l gained about 7.5 l / 100 km in the city (31.36 MPG) and 4.5 l / 100 km (52.27 MPG) out of the city average 6 l / 100 km (39.2 MPG)..These gains are made only by ecodriving. (Magnets didn't work in citroen C3 as well as acetone)

I am skeptical about increasing tire presure because at my opinion the car will loose in handling and it will become less comfortable when passing through the countless defects of greek roads..

once again , thanks for your reply
Old 10-20-2011, 03:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

to everyone who likes to try magnets for mpg gain absolutely FOR FREE! I you guys have a damaged old hard disk, you can take the permanent magnets from it, following the instructions of the video

These magnets are mutch stronger than those from market. So using 2 tight ups, you can adapt these magnets easily and try them for mpg gain..I used 2 of this kind of magnets in my Astra for mpg gain

Last edited by carbloggergr; 10-20-2011 at 03:11 AM.. Reason: some additions I forgott
Reply  Post New Thread