EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Grillblock (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grillblock-15006.html)

Angelus359 10-28-2010 05:25 PM

Grillblock

Hi everyone
I have a 2008 chevy aveo.
I just recently became interested in ecomodding.

I wanted to work on a grillblock that you can't see... I was wondering if a grillblock behind the plastic grill would be effective?

All the grillblocks I've seen online go infront of the grill.

I'm talking about blocking 1-2 inches behind the plastic grill, but several inches infront of the radiator.

I just made a trial grillblock out of ductape and cardboard, and placed it back there...

I have no real way of testing it.

wyatt 10-28-2010 05:36 PM

There are a lot of people on here that have used Plexiglas or black plastic and fastened it directly to the plastic grill. Lots of automobile manufacturers are now starting to incorporate grill blocks into their grills in the same way (black plastic behind the "grill"). They work almost as well as a block out front. I can't comment on your specific design, as you should place it as close to the grill as possible. You can wrap it up in a black plastic bag if you are worried about it being seen/getting rain damaged.

Weather Spotter 10-28-2010 07:08 PM

Just tape over the grill with black tape on the back side :)

For testing try coast down :)

For more info look at the wiki about grill blocks:
Grill block partial or full - EcoModder

Angelus359 10-28-2010 07:23 PM

On an aveo, should I block top, bottom, or both?

Chicago winter is coming up...

Weather Spotter 10-28-2010 07:28 PM

start with the top, that got me .78 MPG and worked fine all summer.
The lower one I would start blocking as it gets cold. If you have a good temp gauge (that you can see when the fan comes on and off) then match the grill block to keep the fan off 95% of the time. If not just go till the lower grill is 60% blocked (dead of winter).

Angelus359 10-28-2010 07:54 PM

I'll do top then. Easy spot to do it.

If it goes over well, I may acquire some polycarbonate or something.

Weather Spotter 10-28-2010 07:59 PM

Look for used election signs then paint to match.

Angelus359 10-28-2010 08:01 PM

Hah! good idea

like half my bottom grill is "factory blocked" actually... Interesting.

Angelus359 10-28-2010 08:03 PM

I was looking at it... and if I blocked the top, and I blocked inbetween the bottom grill and the radiator, underneath, I probably could get away with even smaller, because its forcing all the air through the radiator, and not around to anywhere else. Almost like ducting.

SoobieOut 10-28-2010 09:04 PM

I like using the election signs idea. Looking for a black sign so I don't have to paint, but so far all I see are dark blue signs. I will wait until after the election before recycling for my use.

NeilBlanchard 10-28-2010 11:18 PM

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 201405)
I was looking at it... and if I blocked the top, and I blocked inbetween the bottom grill and the radiator, underneath, I probably could get away with even smaller, because its forcing all the air through the radiator, and not around to anywhere else. Almost like ducting.

Yes, this will help. My xA is down to a 15" x 4" opening, and blocking the chin opening will help if the front opening is small enough. If you leave too big an opening, then closing the chin area will "parachute" and add some drag.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post132996

I need to take a picture of the current grill block -- I'm using aluminum roll flashing now.

Angelus359 10-29-2010 12:25 AM

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...frontblock.png

Here was an idea

the factory blocked the side bottom grills by default, by swapping some things that look like a grill, but is actually just nothing...

I could block the sides on the bottom, and partially block the center bottom, but not significantly block center bottom
The original front entrance is 23 inches, I could block maybe 4 inches on each side on bottom, leaving 15 inch wide gap?
I'd fully block top.
Hows that look?
I hope you like my crappy drawing

NHRABill 10-29-2010 03:17 AM

Is your Aveo a Stick or automatic? If automatic did you account for the transmission cooler that runs through the radator. A cars automatic transmission fluid typically uses the radiator to cool its fluid. trucks with towing packages have a small external cooler that is bolted in front of the radiator as well.

When thinking and inspecting that also take note of the air conditioning condensor that needs to breathe also. i know we are entering cooler months but a new Aveo that is under warranty may get in troule if they see a "mod" that may have caused your trans fluid to wear premature or a AC unit that is not cooling to spec de to an overheating condensor.

I have not looked under the hood of an Aveo, I am relying on general auto knowledge. Just inspect your car before relying on what looks good as compared to function.

euromodder 10-29-2010 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 201340)
I was wondering if a grillblock behind the plastic grill would be effective?

They're still effective - most car manufacturers use them nowadays to block their unnecessarily huge grilles.
It'd be a lot better if they dumped those fake grilles alltogether and go for a smooth front.

Quote:

All the grillblocks I've seen online go infront of the grill.
That's often the easiest way, though not always the most visually appealing.
Other folks run blocks behind the grille, some have filled in the space between the grille frames.

Quote:

I'm talking about blocking 1-2 inches behind the plastic grill, but several inches infront of the radiator.
I just made a trial grillblock out of ductape and cardboard, and placed it back there...
It should work, though it will probably work a bit better when you move it nearer the grille (less air seeping through other gaps).

Quote:

I have no real way of testing it.
If you often do the same stretch of road at the same speed, you know what FE to expect.

Over time, it'll also show up in your long-term FE numbers.

NeilBlanchard 10-29-2010 06:32 AM

Can you post a photo, please?

NeilBlanchard 10-29-2010 10:28 AM

Yes, I have less than 1/4 of the stock grill opening, and it is fine even during the summer.

euromodder 10-29-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK (Post 201504)
Some of you guys block nearly all of the stock grill?

I'm blocking around 90% of the upper grille.
I put it on in the summer, and it hasn't caused any issues.

euromodder 10-29-2010 10:44 AM

Love the drawing :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 201450)
The original front entrance is 23 inches, I could block maybe 4 inches on each side on bottom, leaving 15 inch wide gap?

On the drawing you seem to fence in the air in a box-shaped intake straight back to the radiator.
This means you not only reduce the air intake area (good), but also the useful area of the radiator (not good) and pound it with high speed air which will rush through.

Angle the sides of the air intake, from the reduced intake area, to the entire width of the radiator.

PaleMelanesian 10-29-2010 10:57 AM

Mine is fully 100% blocked if the daytime highs are below 80F. Above 80 I open 1/4 of the grille.

The more efficiently you drive, the less excess heat there is. This morning, for example, was 40 degrees here. I finished the drive 12.9 miles later with the water temperature at 182F - not quite fully warmed up.

Angelus359 10-29-2010 01:48 PM

Does anyone know if a top grillblock in an aveo specifically will cause any problems with the automatic transmission fluid?

I honestly don't know what all of the things in my engine compartment do. Lots of hoses being a convoluted mess that I have yet to trace out.

Weather Spotter 10-29-2010 02:41 PM

It should not cause an issue. try just the top for a week or two then do more.

Angelus359 10-29-2010 05:47 PM

I'll give it a shot.

Angelus359 10-29-2010 06:03 PM

In response to euromodder commenting on my picture.

The side "grills" are by default blocked.
I was going to block under the chin, where the grills are blocked from the factory.
I was going to keep most of the center under the radiator open, as my radiator actually extends slightly BELOW the front bumper.

Doing it this way will let air in through the center, and then through the radiator... if the radiator slows it down too much, it then has the option of going down underneath the radiator in the center. The purpose of the front center being open underneath is to prevent parachuting with the radiator.

The reason why the sides will be undercovered will be because they don't allow much airflow up in the first place. The "grills" there are just decorative.

The plan was to block off only the upper grill, and between the radiator and the under the front bumper near the decorative grills. The bottom center 23x5 inch grill will be untouched in effect.

I'm actually considering either using polycarbonate or coroplast for most of the underside of my car... in segments. Was going to keep center under the radiator open front and back sides though to prevent parachuting, and to allow adequate cooling.

I figure if I do this, I'll end up using less energy, which means less heat.

Home depot has 24x36 inch sheets of coroplast in my area for 7 bucks

donee 10-30-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 201395)
On an aveo, should I block top, bottom, or both?

Chicago winter is coming up...

Hi Agelus359,

My neighbor has an Aveo, and its already grill blocked. There is plastic behind the hexagonal mesh about 50 percent of the grill.

For additionally blocking, then it makes sense to starte from where the Aveo is already grill-blocked, and extend down fro there.

Angelus359 11-01-2010 11:57 AM

Cool.

Angelus359 11-02-2010 02:33 PM

I'm running to the store to pickup some coroplast. Its damn cheap here, 7 bucks a good sheet for the mod. Wish me luck on the mod :)

Weather Spotter 11-02-2010 02:35 PM

will do. Once you start modding you will never be the same :)

Go vote too (unless you are on the left then please stay home, just kidding :) )

wyatt 11-02-2010 02:40 PM

Coroplast is FREE (sometimes)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 202124)
I'm running to the store to pickup some coroplast. Its damn cheap here, 7 bucks a good sheet for the mod. Wish me luck on the mod :)

Contact some people tonight, tell them you will volunteer to clean up some of the big 8'x4' signs. Only pick up the large signs if you get the ok, especially if they are "generic" and may be used again. Lots of them are printed on vynal, then adhered to the coroplast, and just peel off. That's how I got my coroplast a couple years ago...

Angelus359 11-02-2010 02:57 PM

Welp, that trip got cut short... broken valve stem on my tire

Angelus359 11-02-2010 02:59 PM

I just posted on my facebook asking people for political signs, post election.

Angelus359 11-02-2010 03:52 PM

Got my valve stem fixed for 12$... Now my tire pressure sensor light is permanently on *shrugs*

I'll just nab some political signs 'morrow.

Angelus359 11-05-2010 11:25 AM

I did it!
upper grill has been blocked
I used political coroplast, plus 2 pieces of cardboard wrapped in ductape for a gap filler. I'll get pictures later.

wyatt 11-05-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angelus359 (Post 202642)
I did it!
upper grill has been blocked
I used political coroplast, plus 2 pieces of cardboard wrapped in ductape for a gap filler. I'll get pictures later.

Good work, and you saved $7 on coroplast!

Angelus359 11-05-2010 02:18 PM

I did a 10 mile drive. Engine didn't explode, I think I'll block the bottom for the winter with the other half of the sign.

If I had more than one sign (I got it 1 day too late, they got rid of them all), then I would do most of the underbody...

Weather Spotter 11-07-2010 12:54 AM

You have got the nodding bug, it must be feed a new mod every week (two if you add data to the wiki) :)

Angelus359 11-16-2010 09:27 AM

since I did it, and have driven a while... my car feels different... coasting goes farther, high speed changes don't seem as painful, and my car warms up faster
I'm rather happy with that.

Weather Spotter 11-16-2010 09:34 AM

Good for you! Now what's your next mod?
Try pizza pans? Good for 1.5 mpg for me.