EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   " Grille " versus " Grill " (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grille-versus-grill-15600.html)

Cd 12-28-2010 02:42 PM

" Grille " versus " Grill "

So have I been spelling it wrong, or is the opening on the front of my car actually called a " grill " ?

I thought it was " grille ", but I see it both ways, and I honestly have been in doubt - sometimes even going back and writing 'grill' in place of "grille"

Wikipedia seems confusing as well :

" A grille or grill (French word from Latin craticula, small grill) is an opening of several slits side by side in a wall or metal sheet or other barrier, usually to let air or water enter and/or leave but keep larger objects including people and animals in or out. "

:D

tumnasgt 12-28-2010 03:00 PM

As far as I know, both are perfectly correct.

Wiktionary seems to agree: grille - Wiktionary

MetroMPG 12-28-2010 03:22 PM

It's grille.

Spell it wrong and meet your banhammer fate.

tecrench 12-28-2010 06:29 PM

Grille I always thought it went with the bonnet, boot, drop head coupe, spanner crowd :)

MetroMPG 12-28-2010 06:47 PM

You'd think I'd prefer "grill" ... fewer letters is more economical after all. :D

NeilBlanchard 12-29-2010 12:21 AM

Don't grille me... Grill my grille!

:eek:

If it is grille, then why isn't it hille, or bille, or gille, or pille, or dille, or spille?

Kiwi_Canadian 12-29-2010 12:55 AM

I'd never seen it spelled "grille" in my life until I found EcoModder. It just looks so wrong! lol.
I'm sticking with "Grill". I'm stubborn. lol.

Piwoslaw 12-29-2010 07:07 AM

My guess is that historically it is 'grille', but Americans have a tendency to drop letters, whether this is because of laziness, modernization of the language, or to differentiate themselves from their British origins, I do not know. Examples:
  • color instead of colour,
  • aluminum instead of aluminium,
  • filet instead of fillet,
  • program instead of programme,
  • BBQ instead of barbecue,
  • W instead of George W. Bush,
  • etc.

Ever since the difference in spelling between 'grille' and 'grill' caught my attention, I have been using 'grille' since it seems to have more in common with automotive terminology and is less likely to be confused with a barbecue grill.

JasonG 12-29-2010 07:17 AM

I always thought grille was on a car and grill is what you cook on.

however I cook on my engine, so it gets confusing.......

kamesama980 12-29-2010 12:01 PM

Everyone else=one way
USA=another way

IE the metric system. Why would you want to do something that makes sense when you can be dumb.

endurance 12-29-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamesama980 (Post 211828)
Everyone else=one way
USA=another way

IE the metric system. Why would you want to do something that makes sense when you can be dumb.

Ah, but that neglects the Brits attempts to get everyone to drive on the wrong side of the road. All of Europe (except one small island) and the Americas got it right, but everywhere the Brits invaded, they got it wrong. Utter lunacy.:D

*all in good fun...Ok, and a bit of revenge after nearly getting killed the last time I stepped out onto a street after visiting a pub and looking for traffic coming from the wrong direction. Cheeky git nearly got me.:rolleyes:

MetroMPG 12-29-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 211786)
however I cook on my engine, so it gets confusing.......

I have too. Well, I've reheated stuff (pizza! in tin foil... I mean aluminium foil).

But if you're cooking on your engine, it's spelled engin. :)

BTW: Dictionary.com seems to prefer grille for automobiles, and grill for cooking.

Grille | Define Grille at Dictionary.com
Grill | Define Grill at Dictionary.com

endurance 12-29-2010 01:41 PM

Errrm, but I'm about to go eat lunch at City Grille... this is all so very confusing.

t vago 12-29-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 211784)
My guess is that historically it is 'grille', but Americans have a tendency to drop letters, whether this is because of laziness, modernization of the language, or to differentiate themselves from their British origins, I do not know. Examples:
  • color instead of colour,
  • aluminum instead of aluminium,
  • filet instead of fillet,
  • program instead of programme,
  • BBQ instead of barbecue,
  • W instead of George W. Bush,
  • etc.

There is no such language as "English." We speak American, people living in England speak British, and the Aussies speak Australian. People from Canadia speak Canadian.

Hey, my own President thinks that residents of Austria speak Austrian, so there ya go...

Piwoslaw 12-29-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t vago (Post 211874)
Hey, my own President thinks that residents of Austria speak Austrian, so there ya go...

I guess that Austrian does differ somewhat from German (in fact, there are different dialects within Germany). Also, Spanish Spanish isn't the same as Mexican Spanish. Or Portugese and Brazilian.

Oh, and since we're speaking (pun intended) of Latin America and Presidents...
Vice-President Al Gore: "I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those people."

robchalmers 12-30-2010 09:05 AM

Grill
http://www.stcloudstate.edu/atwood/images/grill.jpg
Grille
http://www.wooddashexperts.com/image...rille1_cat.jpg
All up in my grill?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_O7ca2_YM3v...400/Grillz.jpg

MetroMPG 12-30-2010 09:09 AM

Ha! Where's the LOL button?

IsaacCarlson 12-30-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endurance (Post 211853)
Errrm, but I'm about to go eat lunch at City Grille... this is all so very confusing.

That's roadkill you're eating there...:thumbup:

Nevyn 12-30-2010 02:45 PM

While we're at it, might as well through 'colour' and 'humour' on the grill(e) as well..... :)

tumnasgt 12-30-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 212073)
While we're at it, might as well through 'colour' and 'humour' on the grill(e) as well..... :)

As an ecomodder, I use the shorter spellings. Each key not pressed is extending the life of my keyboard, reducing CPU load (saves power), and reducing the amount of data required to submit my post.

Or maybe I'm just lazy...

GeneralAnarchy 12-30-2010 03:15 PM

I think grill is also a verb.

Nothing to worry about. We have different things like bell and belle and nobody suggests one is wrong or more American, they are just different.

tasdrouille 12-30-2010 07:03 PM

It's grille. I guess it's an ecomodder induced language deformation that I have been using grille to describe all frameworks of parallel bars blocking an opening. I was once strolling around in DC and asked a guard a question about the "grille" surrounding the white house. After repeating the word 2 or 3 times in my thick french accent, I got "it's called a fence" as an answer. I smiled, thinking "whatever", and went on my way.

Piwoslaw 12-31-2010 07:27 AM

Well of course you Francophones will vote for the version with the silent 'e' :p
Google Translate says that grille is spelled the same in both French and English:
Quote:

1. grid
  2. gate
  3. grille
  4. grate
  5. rack
  6. grating
  7. grid circuit

GeneralAnarchy 12-31-2010 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 212132)
It's grille.

That's the spelling I use. Webster's says both are OK, grille being preferred. Besides we can't say what a spelling "is", because these are just representative spellings not ontological assertions. If I spell the thing "wxyz" and somebody knows in advance I intend this wxyz spelling to refers such parallel bars, then such a spelling, however unpopular, was still succesful. Mathematicians are wise to call things X when they can get away with it. That is all that seems to matter.

Piwoslaw 12-31-2010 08:02 AM

[OT]
You're not a mathematician, are you? (I am)

Speking of mathematicians naming things however they please, I remember when one of my teachers said "OK, let's use this equation in an example with actual numbers, like a, b, and c."
[/OT]

GeneralAnarchy 12-31-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 212202)
"OK, let's use this equation in an example with actual numbers, like a, b, and c."

Yes, as much as possible. That variable/constant distinction is great. Or better when one says "R is a binary relation" or "H is an operator". Even without letters, "constants" such as 0 seem pretty arbitrary. Now I learn the number 0 is just another name for the empty set because of von Neumann ordinals.

tasdrouille 12-31-2010 01:09 PM

Speaking about math, I need to rant a bit.

How I hate it when I encounter equations in papers and I have to search through all the pages for the definitions of whatever they used to represent members of the equation. What makes it worse is that each field has its own "standards", meaning that G in this field of research is commonly used to represent that and G in that other field is this, and all this is "common knowledge" within the field.

I guess not making things easy to outsiders of a field is a way to keep the elite status associated with the field of research. It seems like authors only think they're going to be read by their direct peers. Anyway, enough for the rant and long live the people who can dumb things down for me.

Piwoslaw 01-01-2011 03:04 PM

Tas, the problem with scientific papers is that as they get more and more advanced, you need more and more background to understand them. When someone publishes their research, they define every new term, and often a few which are in earlier papers on the subject, plus citations to helpful sources. If they were to define everything from the ground up, then the "paper" would be a multivolume brick.

So yes, it is a pain when just the paper isn't enough to understand what's going on. But it is more efficient than rewriting the history of that whole branch of science each time someone slightly changes a single equation or gives a new proof of something-or-other. It's a compromise.

tasdrouille 01-02-2011 11:24 AM

Oftentimes the information is mostly in the paper, but just scattered. A simple lexicon page in every paper with A is this and B is that would make things so much simpler for everyone.

A lot of master or doctoral thesis I've read have those, it's really handy for outsiders to quickly reference variables and cross reference the equations between fields of study.

markweatherill 01-02-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by endurance (Post 211831)
Ah, but that neglects the Brits attempts to get everyone to drive on the wrong side of the road.

We have Japan on our side though.
I recall Ireland's attempt to change from driving on the left to driving on the right a few years back... The plan was to stagger the new system's instroduction, so for one week, trucks, buses and other commercial vehicles would switch over, and the following week, private cars and all other traffic would switch. :)

autogrillepros 12-03-2015 08:27 AM

Auto Grille Pros

Well, as per grammar experts, grill mostly refers to a cooking surface, which is formed of parallel metal bars whereas, the word grille, refers mainly to a grating being used as a barrier or screen on the front end of a vehicle. However, for auto enthusiasts the picture is different. They do not stress much on the spelling and use both the words for addressing the front end cover protecting the engine of a vehicle.

Baltothewolf 12-03-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 211655)
It's grille.

Spell it wrong and meet your banhammer fate.

Grill o.o.

Rwar.

kafer65 12-03-2015 05:14 PM

What about the silent e making the "I" long sounding like Gr-EYE-lle in merikan speak? If we are going to spell it all French why don't we just throw five or six extra vowels on the end of it and call it good:thumbup: If we do it German style, then it would be pronounced grill-eh in what ever dialect you want if you have the e at the end, right?

freebeard 12-03-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw
"OK, let's use this equation in an example with actual numbers, like a, b, and c."

Possibly A, B and C? Those are perfectly cromulent in hexadecimal, being equivalent to 10, 11 and 12 in decimal.

Vman455 12-04-2015 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kafer65 (Post 501203)
What about the silent e making the "I" long sounding like Gr-EYE-lle in merikan speak? If we are going to spell it all French why don't we just throw five or six extra vowels on the end of it and call it good:thumbup: If we do it German style, then it would be pronounced grill-eh in what ever dialect you want if you have the e at the end, right?

Griehllue.

Cd 12-07-2015 05:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

Piwoslaw 12-12-2015 03:32 PM

You know you're an ecomodder when...
... You are writing to some friends and each time you want to write "barbeque grill" it comes out with an 'e' at the end.

Too much time on this forum, not enough time socializing with normal people... ;)

jamesqf 12-12-2015 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 501857)
...not enough time socializing with normal people... ;)

But why on Earth would you want to socialize with normal people? Terminal boredom.

niky 12-13-2015 02:41 AM

Barbecue... can you imagine the emissions?

Cd 12-13-2015 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 501889)
Barbecue... can you imagine the emissions?

I can smell when my neighbors have a BBQ from around 400 - 500 feet away. The smell gives me a headache, and makes me wonder how it is that people think that using lighter fluid is a good thing.
The stuff is poison, and you are going to eat something cooked with that ??