EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Grrrr! RAnt! Punk Kids! - Radio Gone (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/grrrr-rant-punk-kids-radio-gone-13813.html)

bennelson 07-09-2010 12:07 AM

Grrrr! RAnt! Punk Kids! - Radio Gone

Tonight, my wife and I drove over to a city park where they show a movie projected on an inflateable outdoor screen.

When we got back to the car, I thought, "That's funny, the radio is missing. I don't remember taking it our recently...."

Yep, you got it folks. My electric car had its electric radio stolen.

Nothing else was touched. All my other junk in the car was exactly as it was when we parked the car.

My wife locked her door, and I simply had forgotten to lock mine.

I literally had bought the cheapest car stereo that I could find that had a digital tuner. The thief just popped the whole thing out. Disconnected the wiring harness - NOT - cutting it!

Maybe I can still find that same model radio. It would be the worlds easiest installation!
:rolleyes:

vpoppv 07-09-2010 12:27 AM

Man, that really sucks!! At least the wiring is ok. I had a pullout stereo in my Camaro that I never took out because the shifter was in the way. Didn't stop them from busting a window trying to get it TWICE to have it just sit there stuck between the dash and the shifter. $260 to replace the window though, iirc, each time. The most daring theft I suffered though was I was delivering pizza in my Festiva, and the thief actually stole my stereo between deliveries!

Dr. Jerryrigger 07-09-2010 02:10 AM

For some reason I feel safer from thieves when driving an beat up POS car, but the opposite may be true. If they go for anything I hope it's my radio (the LCD screen dosn't work), just leave the Johny Cash tapes and my tools. I also have the worlds crappiest iPod (it has an external battery held on with electrical tap)
I really can't see anyone getting more than 2 bucks for the hot cheapo radio... Speaking of which, you should see if you can by it back on ebay, or a local flea market.
Damn vpoppv, ether you live near some sly thieves, or you take far too long to deliver a pie. Frankly I think I could hot wire most cars in less time that it would take to nab a radio.

Piwoslaw 07-09-2010 03:09 AM

Bummer, Ben:( Good thing you don't invest in ultra hi-tech, multi-hundred $$$ systems.

My Grandma once left her car in a run down part of downtown Warsaw for 2-3 hours with the door wide open! Nothing was touched. Any potential thieves probably thought the owner left the door open to keep cool and is close by and had an eye on it.

Shagger 07-09-2010 10:54 AM

My 1966 Impala 2-door had a Kraco radio with a crap-hole amp which the thieves got at by breaking the rear drivers side window. THAT window cost more to replace than both the amp and stereo combined. Argh! Nowadays my stereo usually is worth more than the car I drive... :)

rmay635703 07-09-2010 11:09 AM

I guess I feel better that most of the cars I drive either have a 20 year old radio or none at all. :)

wyatt 07-09-2010 11:12 AM

You can get a radio with a digital tuner on Amazon for under $70. I opted to get the one with the USB port so I can charge my phone if needed, and play MP3 tracks on long trips. It gets amazingly BAD reception, and I am working on fixing that this weekend... Otherwise, if you want a radio without the digital tuner, those can be had for about $30 on Amazon, or for next to free at a garage sale, or for free from me (if I can get my radio to work decent, though I warn you, the LCD is broken, and it plays cassette tapes...)

Shagger 07-09-2010 11:51 AM

Gotta have my tunes man... :)

Phantom 07-09-2010 12:35 PM

About 2 years ago at Christmas time my Dad had his Festiva broken into the thief thought he was getting presents but the only think that he got was two loves of $1 bread. They did not bother with the stereo since it only had a tape player in it.

bennelson 07-09-2010 12:48 PM

A while back, thieves broke into my brother-in-law's Metro. They smashed the window, dug through all his CDs, decided they didn't like any of them, and then took however many dollars worth of change he had in the car.

My brother was upset not just from the broken window, but that thieves thought he had bad taste in music.

Here's what my car looks like right now.
http://gallery.me.com/benhdvideoguy/...12786907040001