EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Guys, I need some help... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/guys-i-need-some-help-11342.html)

MadisonMPG 12-06-2009 08:57 PM

Guys, I need some help...

2003 4.7 V8 Dakota Quad cab, how can I get better MPG? - Page 5 - DodgeForum.com

The truck ego guys have confused the piss out of me. I need help with this post.

DodgeForum.com - View Single Post - 2003 4.7 V8 Dakota Quad cab, how can I get better MPG?

I have said basic things, they have misconstrued them, and now think i'm trying to insult their intelligence.

Yes, I started acting like a butt in the thread, excuse that. I got mad and posted without thinking.

Christ 12-06-2009 09:11 PM

LOL... I read that from the linkback on Bondo's thread. Of course, I instantly knew your handle.

Unfortunately, While I'd love to help you, I'm not going to, for the sole sake of not starting a "fight" between forums. If I had even the slightest thought that the people in that thread were interested in anything other than supporting their ego's, I'd sign up and post references.

You should know that a tonneau cover is not universally better. There are cases where it does nothing, usually with shortbed trucks (like some quad cad micros with 4 foot beds) because the flow detachment from the roof line never really reaches the tailgate to begin with.

You should also note that the flow simulators don't show real world conditions, they simulate a static shape in static wind conditions at a static speed.

Those things should not be the basis for your argument, rather points to consider when doing more research to figure out what you should be saying next.

Johnny Mullet 12-06-2009 09:53 PM

I am a member on that board, but haven't posted there since I sold my 1971 Dodge Demon.

Christ 12-06-2009 09:58 PM

Did you watch the flow illustrator videos? They're proof on their own that the tonneau is better aerodynamically.

Watch them, then come back and tell me why.

MadisonMPG 12-06-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 145295)
Did you watch the flow illustrator videos? They're proof on their own that the tonneau is better aerodynamically.

Watch them, then come back and tell me why.

Because the air is having to circulate vs. just running off of the truck.

I know i'm right. I knew that covers didn't help short bed trucks, but I figured that most of the beds on that site 5.5 feet, they should help.

Christ 12-06-2009 10:08 PM

It's the oscillation of the flow into and out from the wake that makes the difference. The key to smooth flow is none other than smooth flow. Oscillation requires extra energy which is extracted from the inertia of the vehicle.

That oscillation also can cause stability issues on some shapes. I think the rear end of the truck is heavy enough to not really be bothered by it.

IsaacCarlson 12-06-2009 10:57 PM

throw a Perkins diesel in it....40+mpg??? nt

brucey 12-07-2009 01:58 AM

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

cfg83 12-07-2009 03:36 AM

MadisonMPG -

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 145275)

I have said basic things, they have misconstrued them, and now think i'm trying to insult their intelligence.

Yes, I started acting like a butt in the thread, excuse that. I got mad and posted without thinking.

Yeah, I know it's frustrating, but I try not to post without thinking. One way to de-pressurize is to write the response and *not* post it. Just save it to disk and sit on it for a day.

I've posted stuff in good faith on other forums and been mocked. I just keep posting as if they didn't say anything. The main thing is getting your message to the people that are receptive. Remember, there are lurkers reading your posts. If you lose your composure, you undermine your argument and *they* win.

CarloSW2

koihoshi 12-07-2009 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 145397)
MadisonMPG -

Yeah, I know it's frustrating, but I try not to post without thinking. One way to de-pressurize is to write the response and *not* post it. Just save it to disk and sit on it for a day.

CarloSW2

This is a good suggestion, actually. There's been times when I've done this myself in my email, saved it to drafts and went "If i REALLY feel this way tomorrow, I'll send it. Otherwise....."

Of course there is times when things DO get the best of me and I ignore that....