EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hailing Frequencies - Delta Flyer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hailing-frequencies-delta-flyer-2239.html)

Chuck. 05-08-2008 10:45 PM

Hailing Frequencies - Delta Flyer

Hi,

Many of you know me - Delta Flyer.

Had a 1986 CRX HF for two years, a 1988 CRX-HF for 12 years and nearly 250,000 miles, then a 5-speed Honda Insight since Sept 2000. Really consider them the same car over the past 23 years.

The big mod is a MIMA installation about 9 months ago. Also customize the dash with an upper deck for the NAV, ScanGage.

SVOboy 05-08-2008 10:59 PM

Welcome to ecomodder! I guess the biggest question is: which did you like the most? ;)

Chuck. 05-08-2008 11:27 PM

All there were great cars, but the Insight gets 20-30% better fuel economy and is still faster than the 88' CRX-HF...performs more like the CRX DX.

MetroMPG 05-08-2008 11:40 PM

Hi Delta Flyer. A name I recognize.

Here's a noobish question re: MIMA on the Insight. Of all the hybrids, the Insight seems to have had the most battery failures. Does MIMA tend to be more or less battery friendly than the stock program?

Also, I recently read about the clutch switch to completely disable IMA. Any plans?

Welcome to the site!
Darin

zjrog 05-09-2008 12:26 AM

Welcome...

RH77 05-09-2008 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 24433)
Hi Delta Flyer. A name I recognize.

Yeah, same here -- welcome!

BTW, thanks for letting me drive your Insight in Oklahoma a year or so ago :)

I wanted to buy one on the spot!

Enjoy the site, and may the Schwartz be with youuuuuu.

RH77

Chuck. 05-09-2008 08:45 AM

Driving an Insight with MIMA I'd liken to having a low-powerd PC running linux - great if you know what you are doing, but disaster if you don't.

The first couple of years (2000-2001), the Insight had traction pack problems because the software let the state of charge get down to 15%, but the factory recall has it at 40% like Toyota. Also, people that tend to lug 5-speeds, stress the pack - that's why Honda no longer makes 5-speed hybrids. :(

Actually, I use the Assist sparingly to nudge my Insight into the lean burn zone.

Daox 05-09-2008 08:51 AM

Hey Delta Flyer. Welcome to EM.

I gotta say, between you and Larry with the Star Trek lingo you keep me very entertained.

Chuck. 05-09-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 24454)
Yeah, same here -- welcome!

BTW, thanks for letting me drive your Insight in Oklahoma a year or so ago :)

I wanted to buy one on the spot!

Enjoy the site, and may the Schwartz be with youuuuuu.

RH77

Actually, a 5-speed Insight on the highway still can't be beat...sad commentary on the lack of interest for fuel efficient vehicles until very recently.

If I were to do anything on it - I'd replace the side mirrors with a video cam, have a body shop refit the stock front/rear bumpers with ones extended by two feet, work on the ground effects. If anyone can figure it out, augment the battery pack so I'm in mixed-mode in the lean burn zone nearly all the time.

SVOboy 05-09-2008 09:14 AM

Hey Delta -

Totally random idea, but I was talking this over with my boss as EcoGeek.org the other day, and I was wondering what you thought about an insight powertrain in a CRX? I'd have to find a wrecked insight or something such, of course, but would it be a worthwhile move?