EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Have any of you been a freelance writer? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/have-any-you-been-freelance-writer-37973.html)

Xist 11-12-2019 02:42 PM

Have any of you been a freelance writer?

I believe that Niky has written about cars. Once again, I find myself with too much time on my hands, and looked everywhere for local school jobs. I do not want to leave my part-time school job for a full-time one, but since my main job is not providing new clients and I cannot find jobs with anyone else, I do not know what to do right now.

I am not exactly hurting for cash. As I posted, I paid off my student loans last week, but I do not envision myself driving a 5 - 10 year-old Honda anytime soon.

After searching the usual places that I look for speech jobs I tried all of the job search sites that I found. Does Indeed really search all of them as advertised? I don't know, I did not find any job postings anywhere! I also visited the websites for all school districts within an hour. So, I resorted to the way that I found my second job, going through all Craigslist job postings within the last 90 days. The only thing that looked interesting was for an organization that allegedly paid $50 per 500-word article, but that organization seems illegitimate. I found this post about allegedly real freelance services, but I do not know how legitimate it is: 18 Places To Find Freelance Writing Jobs

Honestly, right now my third job should be applying for grad school. That would keep me busy!

redpoint5 11-12-2019 03:48 PM

Show Low too small to Uber?

Xist 11-12-2019 05:20 PM

We apparently have Lyft, but not Uber, but I am pretty sure that a twenty-year-old Accord with Gorilla Tape across the front would be disqualified.

More importantly, I need fewer car problems, not more.

redpoint5 11-12-2019 05:46 PM

...was leading you back to the subject of updating your ride. Justify an 8 year old car so that you can use it for Lyft. Have I mentioned how great the Ford Fusion hybrid is yet?

MetroMPG 11-12-2019 06:54 PM

Xist, you are already a writer.

You just need an editor. :-D

Seriously though, you have a way with words and often drop some funny turns of phase and insights. If you wrote a regular column on some random topic or other, I'd probably read it. (Edit: wait a minute... I already do!)

(But I wouldn't pay for it. Everything online should be free!!)

My guess is the ad is looking for people to write 'guest post' type spam articles. There literally isn't a week that goes by where we don't get 1 or 2 inquiries from companies wanting to pay to embed such "articles" on EcoModder. The articles are just trojan horses for paid links/SEO optimization companies - but they never admit that. Soul-crushing work, I imagine, but whatevs.

MetroMPG 11-12-2019 06:55 PM

PS. Get a Mirage! Have I mentioned... oh, never mind.

redpoint5 11-12-2019 07:02 PM

I would do it for fun and see where it goes, but wouldn't count on making a living writing. I'm saying this because almost nobody makes a living writing, not because I don't think you in particular couldn't. I've enjoyed your little stories, although some of your regular posts are non-sequitur; something which I'm guilty of often too. My mind thinks abstractly and doesn't stick to a subject, so focusing on a single topic doesn't come naturally to me. One thing reminds me of 2 other things, and so on, and so forth, which is why I average 50 open Chrome tabs. Tangents which I expect to come back to one day but rarely do.

How about this, drive Lyft and use a speech to text dictation utility to write your books while you drive! Nothin like double-dipping.

MetroMPG 11-12-2019 07:16 PM

Self-publish and sell it on Amazon. Some great writers have made a killing taking that route. Andy Weir was self-published. Hugh Howey.

Sorry, not helpful.

Xist 11-12-2019 07:16 PM

Right now Lyft has a $1,000 bonus for completing 125 rides your first 30 days, but I do not know how easily I could average over four rides a night working two jobs. Here is a 2006 in Phoenix for $2,400: https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/c...998887766.html

The Fusion engine sizes are the same as the 1998 - 2002 Accord: 2.3L 4 and 3L 6. The 4 is rated 24/32 and the 6 is 21/29.

I just wonder how long it would take to pay for itself.

MetroMPG 11-12-2019 07:56 PM

Hybred. Not the other kind.