EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Heat shrink window film for body mods (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/heat-shrink-window-film-body-mods-18584.html)

JRP3 08-21-2011 12:10 PM

Heat shrink window film for body mods

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this stuff for testing aero body mods? I used some to seal off the motor grills on my EV Fiero and it's held up for over a year, until I poked a hole in it by mistake. I was thinking of using it with some minimal framing to play with fastback shapes for the car, wheel well covers, etc. It's cheap, shrinks smooth and tight with a heatgun, and applies easily with the double backed tape. You might even be able to use it as a form for the final shape in fiberglass. Thoughts?

Rokeby 08-21-2011 12:35 PM

Sounds like a great idea.

Boat/auto heat shrink wrap is much thicker, up to 12 mils, and would be more
damage resistant. Unfortunately, it is usually available in industrial sized rolls,
like 40" x 100 ft, at about $200+/roll.

An cost conscious alternative may be the wide sticky tape used to join/repair
the rolled material. Aggressively sticks to itself, can be overlapped to make
wider panels:

9 mils, 4 in. x 180 ft. ~$17US: Heat Shrink Tape

JRP3 08-21-2011 12:41 PM

I also don't know if that heavier stuff will shrink with a hair dryer or heat gun, they usually use big propane fired units. Of course they are doing a large boat, so taking your time with a small heat gun may work. The tape is a good idea.

Fat Charlie 08-21-2011 02:22 PM

Reminds me of those balsa framed model airplanes. I like it.

graydonengineering 08-21-2011 05:01 PM

I would like to see some pictures of how it can be used for car mods. Sounds promising!

busypaws 08-21-2011 09:20 PM

I have the Home Depot $1.99 window film as grill block and rear wheel fairings. The grill block I've had for over a year and the fairings 6 months. It seems to last about 6 months before you have tear it off an replace. (Replaced grill twice). I'll do a tear off / wash/wax and reinstall in the next month or two. Last time I switch to two sided carpet tape instead of the thin stuff they give you in the box.

pletby 08-21-2011 10:08 PM

Very interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this in extreme cold temps? Does it get fragile?

JRP3 08-21-2011 10:58 PM

I think there are indoor and outdoor versions of it, with the outdoor being a bit thicker. I've had it last through the winter on the outside of a house, I don't think winter temps would affect it on a car.

andylaurence 08-22-2011 04:18 AM

The whole body of the Westfield iRacer is made of heatshrink film over thin formers. It's really quite cunning, but I imagine it'll have a few people put their hands through it...

JRP3 08-22-2011 08:39 AM

If it's the stuff they use on boats it's pretty rugged, a hand won't go through without trying.