EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello To all! Civic gas saver here (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-all-civic-gas-saver-here-13684.html)

Mrtony5 06-26-2010 06:00 AM

Hello To all! Civic gas saver here

Hello, Well I have a 1992 civic cx I bought a few years ago after my brother bought a vx and showed me how great they are. About 6 months after i bought it the cx engine blew up so i found a cheap d16z6 engine to swap in (I wish i knew then worse gas mileage) But i needed a car. Anyway I love the car and being that i'm in college trying to work as much as a can I need to save money so i've been trying to save gas as much as possible. I drive about 200 miles everyday when school is in (fall and spring) and right now just driving to work 60 mile commute. I bought a vx d15z1 engine and just finished rebuilding it, just got to find time to figure out the wiring and swap it in. :thumbup: I've started working on rear wheel skirts but realized i need to get some different wheels first so i'm thinking either vx, hx, or steelies with moon hubcaps. Then i want to start working on a belly pan. My first goal is to reach 60mpg if possible. Right now i get anywere from 38 to 45 mpg i just started trying to keep it below 1500 rpms and 60mph on the highway to see what happens. If you guys have any questions or advice please let me know. Thank you

MetroMPG 06-26-2010 12:16 PM

I think you'll find more than a few people around here who can advise you on wiring issues when you're ready to stick that lean burn motor in the car.

How does the CX transmission compare to the VX ratios?

I'm jealous!

Welcome to the forum.

SVOboy 06-26-2010 01:31 PM

Welcome to EcoModder!

Darin, the CX and VX transmission were identical from 92-95

Angmaar 06-26-2010 02:45 PM

Welcome to the forum!

Mrtony5 06-26-2010 07:44 PM

Thank you all for the invites. Yeap the cx and vx transmissions are the same. My brother has a si so the same engine but an si transmission and his gearing is so tall I really don't like it. When i drive on the highway at 60 mine is at 2000 rpms in 5th gear and his SI is at 3000 rpms so i guess thats why he only get about 35mpg. Thanks for being jealous but your doing way better than me with mpg.

I've accually searched alot about the wiring and i think I figured out the ecu pin out plus the vx uses 4 connections on the engine harness compared to all the others engines only having 3 . i think i might just try to get a vx engine harness that goes through the firewall so I don't have to risk messing anything up plus i really don't want to cut and splice my factory harness. The thing that i can't find is the egr valve lift sensor on the firewall where it wires to. I'm probably wrong about some of the wiring so if anyone an give me some direction if they have done the swap i would really appreciate it. I can't wait to start the lean burn i think it is so cool. Thanks to all for reading.

SVOboy 06-26-2010 10:37 PM

VX uses 4 connectors? To the ECU? Hmm!

You live in Columbia eh? Are you related to mizzou at all?

Mrtony5 06-27-2010 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeap It uses 4 connecters from the engine harness to the main harness that runs through the firewall. Didn't you swap a d15z1 into a crx I thought i read about it ?

Yeap I live in Columbia. related to mizzou ? I'm off Clark Lane Or if you mean do i go there no I go to Linn Tech.

Mrtony5 07-01-2010 04:55 AM

So I was driving to work today and I was at the top of a hill so i pulled it out of gear and started coasting. I always drive with my window all the way down but i keep my sunroof shut well i started coasting and i could see the speedo slowly go down so i rolled my window up and then the speedo started going back up slowing i didn't think that with the window down i was causing that much drag. Anyway I was wondering how efficient would it be to hook a 12 volt motor to the compressor and drive with the window up would It help or just make the alternator draw more hp. Has anyone tried this here.. I really haven't been able to search around yet. Thanks for any input!

SVOboy 07-01-2010 04:39 PM

Ah, those connectors! When I swapped the VX in I used mostly original wiring, so I'm not really familiar with the types of plugs used on the VX harness.

Are you talking about trying to convert your A/C to electrical?

Mrtony5 07-01-2010 04:46 PM

Oh I see so you made a custom harness and wired the extra stuff in. Thanks though.

Yea Like a 12v electric compressor ? instead of belt drivin'