EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hello from Kentucky (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hello-kentucky-33499.html)

Bradherr 02-18-2016 08:41 PM

Hello from Kentucky

I have been lurking on here for a while and figured I'd say hello. I have a 2014 Chevy Cruze Turbo Diesel and have been pretty impressed with the fuel consumption so far. The car came with a few aerodynamic improvements( underbody aero panels, active lower grill shutter, lower ride height) and I've added an upper grill block.
I have a 180 mile round trip daily commute, so I rack up the miles pretty quick. Most of my drive is highway and interstate and the car loves it.
I look forward to learning more from everyone on here and getting the most out of my car.

redneck 02-19-2016 08:51 AM

Welcome aboard.

Getting the most out of your car (mpg) is important.

However.

Getting the most out of your car would include not wearing it out.

180 miles x 5 days = 900 miles per week

900 miles x 4 weeks = 3,600 per month

3,600 x 12 months = 43,200 miles per year

3.5 hrs per day driving x 240 days = 840 hrs.

840 hrs. / 40 hr. work week = 21 weeks

^^^Wow. :eek:^^^

Maybe you should consider moving closer to your job or find something closer to your present home.

Check this out.

The True Cost of Commuting

Have a Great Day....

:)

>

Bradherr 02-19-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 507657)

Welcome aboard.

Getting the most out of your car (mpg) is important.

However.

Getting the most out of your car would include not wearing it out.

180 miles x 5 days = 900 miles per week

900 miles x 4 weeks = 3,600 per month

3,600 x 12 months = 43,200 miles per year

3.5 hrs per day driving x 240 days = 840 hrs.

840 hrs. / 40 hr. work week = 21 weeks

^^^Wow. :eek:^^^

Maybe you should consider moving closer to your job or find something closer to your present home.

Check this out.

Have a Great Day....

:)

>

Man, that article was a real eye opener! I appreciate the new perspective. I have a lot to learn. I never really put all that commute time on paper and really looked at it. I knew it was a lot of time and I was always kind of afraid to do what you did and add it up like that. Thank you showing me what I am truly spending on this commute.

cowmeat 02-19-2016 12:46 PM

Holy cow man, what part of Kentucky do you drive? :eek:

I grew up in northwest Kentucky right on the Ohio river, and I can't think of any area you could drive that far and not go through hill country.

I have to agree, you're wasting a lot of your life driving. If the situation isn't easily changed, I would at least try to find a rider to share the drive and the gas cost. Even if you picked a rider up halfway through, or left your car at somebody's house you'd get a lot of help on gas and way less miles on the car

The farther you commute, the more sense it makes to carpool

Daox 02-19-2016 12:59 PM

Welcome to the site!

Excellent ideas by the others guys so far, and I agree with both.

You're one of the very few we've heard of with the Cruze diesel. What kind of mileage are you getting with it currently?

mcrews 02-19-2016 01:06 PM

welcome!
also, increase the psi in the tires to 40+

Also, since you drive on th freeway a lot, consider increasing the diameter of the tires on your next purchase. it will reduce the rpm at cruising speeds and get better mpg.

When your ready to buy tires, give a shout and will get you more info.

Bradherr 02-20-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 507669)
Holy cow man, what part of Kentucky do you drive? :eek:

I grew up in northwest Kentucky right on the Ohio river, and I can't think of any area you could drive that far and not go through hill country.

I have to agree, you're wasting a lot of your life driving. If the situation isn't easily changed, I would at least try to find a rider to share the drive and the gas cost. Even if you picked a rider up halfway through, or left your car at somebody's house you'd get a lot of help on gas and way less miles on the car

The farther you commute, the more sense it makes to carpool

I commute from Pulaski County to Lexington. I did car pool with a guy for a few years. The problem is we work a "flex schedule" and not everyone has set hours and works the same time. Some weeks I work 4, 10 hour days, and others I work 5, 8 hour days, or a combination of 12 and 5 hour days. It was too hard to be on the same schedule as someone else that lived in my general direction.

Bradherr 02-20-2016 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 507670)
Welcome to the site!

Excellent ideas by the others guys so far, and I agree with both.

You're one of the very few we've heard of with the Cruze diesel. What kind of mileage are you getting with it currently?

I agree with everyone's ideas. I have never really looked at it in this way. I was always just concerned with getting the best mileage from the car and not really looking at reducing the mileage to save fuel costs/time. I have a lot to think about.

The car has a lifetime milage of 43.3 mpg. A single best tank of 937 miles @ 52.7 mpg. If I stick to the commute the mileage is usually in the low 50's and upper 40's per tank. If I have to run errands it will drop off pretty quick. The city mileage isn't bad at around 30 mpg.

Bradherr 02-20-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 507672)
welcome!
also, increase the psi in the tires to 40+

Also, since you drive on th freeway a lot, consider increasing the diameter of the tires on your next purchase. it will reduce the rpm at cruising speeds and get better mpg.

When your ready to buy tires, give a shout and will get you more info.

I run my tires at the maximum sidewall pressure of 51 psi cold. On the interstate when warmed up the tires will creep up to 56 psi.

I like the idea of running taller tires, I will definitely be doing this mod when the time comes.

At interstate speeds of 71 mph the engine runs at 2000 rpm.