EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   help choose new car(towing, high mpg) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-choose-new-car-towing-high-mpg-25583.html)

bp944 04-16-2013 04:57 PM

help choose new car(towing, high mpg)

So my ford focus bit the dust after a month. Evidently buying a 300,000 mile focus in the midwest wasn't one of my better choices. (I got all my money back though..go figure). Now its time for a new car.

Budget: 5,000 but cheaper the better
Mileage aims: 30+
Tooling: I can do anything short of welding.

Uses:
City mpg isn't a big deal since I'm usually biking places or use my motorcycle. I do drive cross country so highway miles are quite important. (300 mile trip to the parents every month or two). I bike to work in the winter but I would use the car for short trips.

Here's the hard part. I would love a vehicle that could tow my 1987 porshce 944 (2800 lbs max). I also have a motorcycle ('93 gsxr 750 460lbs). I am open to the idea of only being able to tow a motorcycle not the car. I was just curious with what is possible

vehicle thoughts:
Ford ranger 4x2 (I would love to lower it onto coilovers and autocross it)
Any VW TDI (a little expensive)
Mazda 2300
subaru's ( a little low on towing and mpg)
honda element (low on mpg)

any others?

oil pan 4 04-16-2013 10:37 PM

See:
Tow Ratings Database - Tow Vehicle Ratings | Camping Life Magazine
For car, truck and suv tow ratings.

Sounds like you already like the small 2wd pickup.

Also see this one:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ler-25485.html

IsaacCarlson 04-17-2013 09:26 PM

I would go the small truck route. A ford ranger would do well for you. If you need any welding or fabricating, I can help you out. I live in Colfax, WI. I am sure we could transform a ford ranger into a mileage machine and even increase the payload/towing by a fair margin. They are decent trucks, but they need a little help :D.

A stock ranger will squat with 1 person on the tailgate, but will still corner very well. We could get the rear end to hold up it's fair share and still ride nicely. That would help you out in the autocross department. My cousin has a v-6 ranger and they are pretty quick.

bp944 04-17-2013 10:16 PM

Sounds like you're exactly the person I want to talk to. I'm looking to do this on a pretty low budget since I do have a few projects going at the same time. I'm think a coroplast aeromodded, lowered on decent used suspension, and matte black.

What model would be the best to start with? I'm assuming the v6 would be pretty heavy on the gas. I was assuming I'd be able to tow the porsche along at a pretty slow pace with an I4. I know its beyond the tow capacity rating but with a braked trailer and gingerly going along wouldn't I be okay?

As far as autocross, I'm a little confused when it comes to suspension. I have no idea how truck suspension works or what can be done with it. Can I change the leaf suspension to coilovers? If I were to lower the car for handling, aero and looks, could the truck still tow a car. I know most hate it but I would love a more "stanced" looked truck. Definitely not a slammed truck though.

I'm assuming there is a decent 5th gear swap for the transmission. I would love to change the rear end but I'm guessing that would really affect towing capacity or would that not be as big of a deal?

Frank Lee 04-17-2013 11:15 PM

I don't think autocrossing a twin I beam Ranger is in the cards... could be wrong though.

bp944 04-17-2013 11:20 PM

I'm not thinking a serious autocross but something for fun or maybe a rally cross. Its very probably that I'm not being rationale which is more plausible than I'd care to admit.

IsaacCarlson 04-18-2013 01:16 AM

It doesn't have to be used suspension. I put airbags in my f-250 and they make a BIG difference. I rigged up my A/C compressor to be an air compressor and run a regulator on the bags. SWEET!:D:thumbup:

I wouldn't even consider the 4 banger. My cousin gets pretty good mileage with the v6. I will call her and find out exactly what kind of equipment she has in her truck.

You could remove all but one leaf spring and install coils. That would lower it and give you a pretty good ride. The front springs can be cut/modified. You can do whatever you want to a truck suspension. I have some new and used springs you can look through. You could use sway bars if you wanted to. That would do a lot.

My cousin has a 2002 4x2. I think it is a 3 liter, but will have to check. Not sure on the rear end either, but it goes pretty good. They are real good for aero modding.

bp944 04-18-2013 09:52 AM

I don't know much about airbag suspension but doesn't it really ruin handling especially for a race setting? It would be awesome to drop it really low on the highway for aero. I mean, you could get it inches off the ground and be getting some good gas mileage. (I never thought I'd consider air bags.....ever)

I was also thinking bed bars would do a really good job at stiffening up the chassis and still give it room for my motorcycle.

IsaacCarlson 04-18-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bp944 (Post 367197)
I don't know much about airbag suspension but doesn't it really ruin handling especially for a race setting? It would be awesome to drop it really low on the highway for aero. I mean, you could get it inches off the ground and be getting some good gas mileage. (I never thought I'd consider air bags.....ever)

I was also thinking bed bars would do a really good job at stiffening up the chassis and still give it room for my motorcycle.

Airbags are amazing. There are a lot of street racers that use airbags to drop their cars. They are more stable than one would think. The bed bars would also give you a mounting point for a bed cover. Have two hinges up front with removable pins and the whole thing would just lift off.:eek:

LeanBurn 04-18-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bp944 (Post 367145)
I'm not thinking a serious autocross but something for fun or maybe a rally cross. Its very probably that I'm not being rationale which is more plausible than I'd care to admit.

...so you want to tow the 944 and/or the bike using the truck...but also want to auto-x or rally-x..the truck....I can't be alone in wondering why would anyone do that when they had a 944 and a bike...items that are designed to excel at auto-x or speed. :confused: