Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

あかい - '99 Mazda 626 ES
Last 3: 26.64 mpg (US)
Need Help with Ultra Gauge

I bought a UG for my 1999 Mazda 626 (V6) over a week ago. So far I have just been playing around with it. I've had a few difficulties with it and am looking for some help. First it doesn't seem to be reading actual MPG or average MPG correctly. It seems okay at low speeds, but around 55mph my actual MPG jumps back and forth from 0 to 30ish. Sometimes both MPG readings will flash or hold error for a few seconds. I assume its having difficulties reading the car correctly? How do I fix this?

Second problem is calibrating distance. Along with it having difficulties reading, the numbers I am getting from it I don't quite agree with. Average MPG it reports is 30mpg I've always calculated mpg at each fill up and my numbers are much lower. I assume this is because it is uncalibrated. I read the manual and it goes on about lining the front tires up w/ a mile marker and driving to another mile marker and entering the value into the UG. Only problem I have with this is where in the world am I suppose to do this? Mile markers are only on the interstate....

thanks for any help.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikaila31 View Post
. . . I assume this is because it is uncalibrated. I read the manual and it goes on about lining the front tires up w/ a mile marker and driving to another mile marker and entering the value into the UG. Only problem I have with this is where in the world am I suppose to do this? Mile markers are only on the interstate....
In the USA, most agricultural lands were laid out in 1 mile square grids called section lines. It looks as if you drove on Rt. 12 towards Roberts there is a proper section just to the west of Roberts.

Bob Wilson
The Following User Says Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Mikaila31 (03-21-2011)
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

あかい - '99 Mazda 626 ES
Last 3: 26.64 mpg (US)
Many thanks!

I found a different location using google that was on my way school. 3 miles long with an intersection at every mile. The calibration actually increased my MPG, lol. Also is it normal that my odometer got the distance correct(3.0), but ultra guage was 2.85ish. I thought both these devices got information from the same place

As far as the reading problems I am going to try putting it on forced MPG using the MAF sensor tomorrow. This is the sensor my car has and ultra guage says its using the MAF sensor, but I figure it can't hurt. Then I will just start the fuel/MGP calibrations and see how it goes. In February all 3 fill ups I did averaged 23.5MPG using the miles traveled/gallons pumped method. ATM ultra gauge is displaying an average 31MPG. I know its suppose to help increase MPG by changing my driving habits, but I just don't really believe what it is saying. I haven't changed my habits THAT much yet, I set the alarm off twice this week due to "excessive RPMs"
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
It's hard to diagnose what's happening long distance. Photos of your displayed gauges might help. Are you resetting your trip settings on every drive? The instant mpg display and trip mpg display are the same for the first 45 seconds to 1 minute of the trip, after which the trip mpg switches to a true average.

UG distance allows you to calibrate its distance to correct for different tire diameters. Whether it uses the same signal as the odometer or not, it has to be fine tuned.

Your current UG mpg estimates are initially optimistic, because they're uncalibrated. When you fill your tank the first time, it's a good idea to adjust to half the calibration called for, so you don't overcorrect.

UG won't change your driving habits. You have to do that. My car doesn't see the north side of 3000 rpm, and it turns 3000 rpm to go 60 mph.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Thanks for these posts. I'm having similar trouble with the calibration of my newly installed Ultra Gauge. The device over estimated my MPG (I got 51.81, while the device said 55.7). I'm not worried. I'm reading the manual and I will try the distance calibration next. Should I expect that until proper calibration that even readings such as RPM and IAT are not accurate?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
No, rpm and IAT don't need or have calibration adjustments. Distance and mpg do have calibration. Be sure to have your engine size and gas tank capacity entered correctly, too.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread