EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Help with new battery (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/help-new-battery-18710.html)

California98Civic 09-03-2011 01:00 AM

Help with new battery

Bought the Odyssey PC625 battery for its deep cycle capacity, light weight, cranking ability and price (close to a new Interstate Battery). Thought it took the same SAE post adapters as the PC680, which was my other choice. But it doesn't. So now I have these M6 posts and I need a way to adapt them, if possible. Any tips?

Ryland 09-03-2011 10:27 AM

so you need something like this?
m6 battery terminal - Google Search

California98Civic 09-03-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 259407)
so you need something like this?
m6 battery terminal - Google Search

Yes, something like that, only it has to fit onto these terminals:
http://image.automotive.com/f/newsfr...25_battery.jpg
It is hard to tell from images whether these will fit, even though they are the M6 type, not sure of the exact configuration. So I thought to ask, hoping for someone who might have used this exact battery. Thanks for the links.

I think this one might be right. The M6 threaded hex wrench bolts I guess are optional:
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...XSP-586_BK.jpg

Ryland 09-04-2011 02:30 AM

I did a bit of searching and found photos of a hand full of brass battery posts and couldn't find a single one that looked to have threads on the inside of it! you might be able to press a T-nut in or something but it's going to be hokey.
So I did a bit more searching as to why that battery has those style posts when every other battery does not... turns out what you have is a motorcycle battery! and motorcycles that I've worked on always have ring terminals that get bolted on so studs in that case are what you want, otherwise motorcycle batteries have a weird little flat lead tab with a bolt hole for a 6mm bolt!
So not only do you need a post to connect up to, but the studs that are there have the battery case close enough that once you have a post on there the cable end is not going to have any space to clamp on, so you need a spacer as well and of course you need everything to be a nice tight fit because when you crank the starter over you are drawing 100's of amps and a bad connection will melt.

California98Civic 09-04-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 259498)
I did a bit of searching and found photos of a hand full of brass battery posts and couldn't find a single one that looked to have threads on the inside of it! you might be able to press a T-nut in or something but it's going to be hokey.
So I did a bit more searching as to why that battery has those style posts when every other battery does not... turns out what you have is a motorcycle battery! and motorcycles that I've worked on always have ring terminals that get bolted on so studs in that case are what you want, otherwise motorcycle batteries have a weird little flat lead tab with a bolt hole for a 6mm bolt!
So not only do you need a post to connect up to, but the studs that are there have the battery case close enough that once you have a post on there the cable end is not going to have any space to clamp on, so you need a spacer as well and of course you need everything to be a nice tight fit because when you crank the starter over you are drawing 100's of amps and a bad connection will melt.

Ugh. I wish I had selected the PC680 battery. The adapters just bolt-on to that one. Easily done. Well, anyway, I sorta doubled-down since I have this battery in hand. I ordered the SAE post adapters I chose from the link you posted. I chose the pair that seems to have a built in spacer at the bottom, unlike the other ones on the list. I'm hoping that these hex-bolts are meant to fit into the adapters to secure the unit. That would mean the adapter is threated on the inside and might fit onto my M6 posts. Maybe. I'll keep this thread "posted" (pun) as to my success/failure. Maybe it'll help someone else!

California98Civic 09-09-2011 08:13 PM

update: what do you think?

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: Installed and working wonderfully. On a test run I seemed to start up much more easily, operate more smoothly, and my UG-displayed average climbed from 67.5 to 67.9. That's not exactly reliable data, but I think this is probably a winner.

Original post:
The adapters arrived and I installed them. Here they are on the battery posts. They are not bolted in, but they have contact with the M6 posts all along their inside surface and they fit tightly enough that I can almost lift the 13lb battery using just the posts as a handle. I think I can rely on the contact to be more than adequate, no? Any concern re: the fact that the posts contact the plastic battery casing at the sides, wedging them into place?