Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 01:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Question Help with new battery

Bought the Odyssey PC625 battery for its deep cycle capacity, light weight, cranking ability and price (close to a new Interstate Battery). Thought it took the same SAE post adapters as the PC680, which was my other choice. But it doesn't. So now I have these M6 posts and I need a way to adapt them, if possible. Any tips?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
so you need something like this?
m6 battery terminal - Google Search
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
so you need something like this?
m6 battery terminal - Google Search
Yes, something like that, only it has to fit onto these terminals:

It is hard to tell from images whether these will fit, even though they are the M6 type, not sure of the exact configuration. So I thought to ask, hoping for someone who might have used this exact battery. Thanks for the links.

I think this one might be right. The M6 threaded hex wrench bolts I guess are optional:
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 09-03-2011 at 04:05 PM..
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I did a bit of searching and found photos of a hand full of brass battery posts and couldn't find a single one that looked to have threads on the inside of it! you might be able to press a T-nut in or something but it's going to be hokey.
So I did a bit more searching as to why that battery has those style posts when every other battery does not... turns out what you have is a motorcycle battery! and motorcycles that I've worked on always have ring terminals that get bolted on so studs in that case are what you want, otherwise motorcycle batteries have a weird little flat lead tab with a bolt hole for a 6mm bolt!
So not only do you need a post to connect up to, but the studs that are there have the battery case close enough that once you have a post on there the cable end is not going to have any space to clamp on, so you need a spacer as well and of course you need everything to be a nice tight fit because when you crank the starter over you are drawing 100's of amps and a bad connection will melt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 09:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I did a bit of searching and found photos of a hand full of brass battery posts and couldn't find a single one that looked to have threads on the inside of it! you might be able to press a T-nut in or something but it's going to be hokey.
So I did a bit more searching as to why that battery has those style posts when every other battery does not... turns out what you have is a motorcycle battery! and motorcycles that I've worked on always have ring terminals that get bolted on so studs in that case are what you want, otherwise motorcycle batteries have a weird little flat lead tab with a bolt hole for a 6mm bolt!
So not only do you need a post to connect up to, but the studs that are there have the battery case close enough that once you have a post on there the cable end is not going to have any space to clamp on, so you need a spacer as well and of course you need everything to be a nice tight fit because when you crank the starter over you are drawing 100's of amps and a bad connection will melt.
Ugh. I wish I had selected the PC680 battery. The adapters just bolt-on to that one. Easily done. Well, anyway, I sorta doubled-down since I have this battery in hand. I ordered the SAE post adapters I chose from the link you posted. I chose the pair that seems to have a built in spacer at the bottom, unlike the other ones on the list. I'm hoping that these hex-bolts are meant to fit into the adapters to secure the unit. That would mean the adapter is threated on the inside and might fit onto my M6 posts. Maybe. I'll keep this thread "posted" (pun) as to my success/failure. Maybe it'll help someone else!

Old 09-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

update: what do you think?

EDIT: Installed and working wonderfully. On a test run I seemed to start up much more easily, operate more smoothly, and my UG-displayed average climbed from 67.5 to 67.9. That's not exactly reliable data, but I think this is probably a winner.

Original post:
The adapters arrived and I installed them. Here they are on the battery posts. They are not bolted in, but they have contact with the M6 posts all along their inside surface and they fit tightly enough that I can almost lift the 13lb battery using just the posts as a handle. I think I can rely on the contact to be more than adequate, no? Any concern re: the fact that the posts contact the plastic battery casing at the sides, wedging them into place?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	082-1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	9416  

Last edited by California98Civic; 09-10-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread