EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hey everyone (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hey-everyone-23139.html)

Skargon 08-31-2012 11:21 AM

Hey everyone

No, I am not a troll.
I am interested in getting more MPG's out of this old 98 Ford Mustang 3.8L V6

Looking forward to some gas savings. :o

ecomodded 08-31-2012 12:16 PM

You've come to the right place, as a bonus we have numerous mid 90's mustangs here on the site.
I suggest you start with the 100+ Hypermiling tips on the top header of the page.
That is where you will find tips that will give you instant mpg improvements with little to no money.
A few of my favorites are high tire pressure ,looking ahead for traffic conditions and coasting in neutral every chance i get, which is more than one would think.
Find some tips you want to try and see how they effect your mileage.
What mpg are you getting now ?

MetroMPG 08-31-2012 01:51 PM

Welcome.

What does your factory MPG gauge show? Most show at least instant & resettable (trip) MPG. Keeping an eye on the gauge for feedback is key, particularly if you drive a regular route - matching/beating your previous "high score" for the route.

Your manual transmission gives you a lot more control over your results.

Any special reason you decided to join up? I'm always curious what brings people here.

Best of luck & keep us posted on how things go!

Skargon 08-31-2012 02:49 PM

Well, I decided mainly to have a competition between a friend and myself, He is doing his own calculations, So I figured I would join up here and try it out and see what I end up getting. So far the car is rated 21 MPG EPA, and I am getting roughly 25ish with mostly City driving.

I have a Regular Gas Guage with a Trip Meter
I usually fill up, Do my drive and fill up again to figure the mileage.

I have emptied my trunk down to the metal, and painted it to look better, I have also gotten rid of my rear seats as well, I also have no tail pipes, I have my muffler dumped at the axle, All things I chose to save weight.

mcrews 08-31-2012 02:51 PM

welcome!
Some great suggestions already. Search for other mustangs here, there are several.
Having some type of gauge IS IMPORTANT. Going tank to tank is very passive.

The is a list of 65 things to do. check it out.
also, increaseing psi is a cheap quick help.

MetroMPG 08-31-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skargon (Post 325133)
I have a Regular Gas Guage with a Trip Meter

Aha. Yep, getting a ScanGauge or equivalent will help more than just about anything. It'll pay for itself too. (Plus, you can easily re-sell it later if you want.)

Driving for max MPG without an MPG gauge is like running the 1/4 mile without a timing device. :p

Mustang Dave 08-31-2012 05:38 PM

Welcome aboard from a fellow Mustang owner.
Since you've actually started a fuel log with believable numbers, it's quite apparent that you're NOT a troll. But if you had claimed in your first post that you got 30 MPG, no matter how you drove it, then.... :p
Quote:

..Yep, getting a ScanGauge or equivalent will help more than just about anything. It'll pay for itself too. (Plus, you can easily re-sell it later if you want.)
:thumbup: Yeah, what MetroMPG said!
Unlike most members here, I bought a ScanGauge about 11 months before I found ecomodder.com. It helped me figure out my most fuel efficient commuting routes and more efficient driving techniques. Then ecomodder.com's 100+ Hypermiling Tips helped me make some more minor adjustments to the "nut behind the steering wheel".
I'm currently using the latest version of the UltraGauge for instrumentation. And I just noticed on their website that they have reduced the price by $9. It's now $60.95 after $9 mail-in reward.

I love the look on people's faces when I tell them I've gotten over 31 MPG commuting to work with V-6 Mustang. :)

Best of luck in your MPG competition with your friend!

Gealii 08-31-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang Dave (Post 325176)
I'm currently using the latest version of the UltraGauge for instrumentation. And I just noticed on their website that they have reduced the price by $9. It's now $60.95 after $9 mail-in reward.

I tried getting the rebate but they make it nearly impossible to receive i just got to the point were i felt the rebate wasn't worth $9 but the ultra-gauge is still worth the money without the rebate i still dont regret it. It has not only helped my FE but has helped my diagnose some engine problems in the past

Mustang Dave 08-31-2012 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gealii (Post 325180)
I tried getting the rebate but they make it nearly impossible to receive i just got to the point were i felt the rebate wasn't worth $9 but the ultra-gauge is still worth the money without the rebate i still dont regret it. It has not only helped my FE but has helped my diagnose some engine problems in the past

Yes, the rebate requires considerable "participation" by the purchaser.

As you said, even without the rebate, it's still an exceptional value.

This is my second UltraGauge. I lent my original UltraGauge to my uncle for his VW Jetta. When I learned how much more the EM would do than the original, I ordered the EM and gave the original to my uncle.

ron 09-01-2012 12:33 AM

as I recall the 95 mercury sable my folks had got 33mpg on the way home from lost wages. and it had the 3.8 six the diff is it was front wheel drive , you should be able to find the rear gear ratio to compare to what you have in the mustang