EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hey guys! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hey-guys-26743.html)

skyrine 08-19-2013 11:05 PM

Hey guys!

Hey,
I came across this forum a few minutes ago when I was looking up tips to get better mpg. This seems like a pretty awesome forum. Its amazing how people are getting 60+mpg in regular cars. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of a list of simple things to do to your car to get better mpg? I get 12-14mpg in the city and 21 on the highway if I'm lucky :/

cbaber 08-19-2013 11:23 PM

Welcome!

Check out 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - EcoModder.com for a list of proven modifications for better MPG.

Flakbadger 08-19-2013 11:30 PM

Welcome to the forums! cbaber is on to something, but don't forget hypermiling techniques. Just by driving 55, maximizing my coast-down distances and decelerating in-gear as long as possible before using the brakes (as well as using an Ultragauge), I'm staying in the mid-to-high 40MPG range.

The biggest secret? My car's made for efficiency and it's got a manual transmission.

Sure, plenty of people on here pull down pretty good numbers in performance vehicles, but the largest gain you will see is getting a more efficient car as a runabout.

Is a cheap commuter car a possibility for you? Some users buy cars for under $1k and break into the 40's and 50's pretty regularly.

Either way welcome! Start a fuel log and become one of us.
One of us...
One of us......

skyrine 08-20-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flakbadger (Post 386218)
Welcome to the forums! Just by driving 55, maximizing my coast-down distances and decelerating in-gear as long as possible before using the brakes (as well as using an Ultragauge), I'm staying in the mid-to-high 40MPG range.

The biggest secret? My car's made for efficiency and it's got a manual transmission.

Sure, plenty of people on here pull down pretty good numbers in performance vehicles, but the largest gain you will see is getting a more efficient car as a runabout.

Is a cheap commuter car a possibility for you? Some users buy cars for under $1k and break into the 40's and 50's pretty regularly.

Either way welcome! Start a fuel log and become one of us.
One of us...
One of us......

Yeah I suppose my car wasnt made for efficiency. I used to drive an Evolution X (mitsubishi evo) and I got 18 around town and about 25 on the highway. I saw a user on this site who said they averaged 29mpg over a 30 day period with the same car I had. I guess Im doing something wrong. Also yeah a cheap commuter car is a possibility for me. Was thinking about picking up a completely stock early 90s nissan 240sx. They come with a naturally aspirated 2.4 inline 4. They get 30s in the city from what Ive heard. I think Im going to try and get the best mpg possible with that car. I want to start a fuel log on my current car just to really see where it is at. Any idea how I would go about starting a fuel log?

skyrine 08-20-2013 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbaber (Post 386217)
Welcome!

Check out - 65+ Vehicle modifications for better fuel economy - for a list of proven modifications for better MPG.

Thanks, Ill check it out.

elhigh 08-20-2013 06:03 PM

Oh, man...

Well, I think your biggest handicap is the extremely attractive thrill potential of the Skyline. Great MPGs can be yours if you can just keep your foot out of the big pedal on the right. UltrArc is a guy with a recent Mustang, he's pushing into the 40s with his ride but fighting the lovely GOFASTERGOFASTER exhortations of his free-breathing exhaust system.

So if you've managed to work out some of your sporting urges, you can do a lot just by changing how you drive. I see others have already pointed you in that direction, and it's going to be the biggest bang for the buck (since there are no bucks involved) in wringing extra distance out of every tank.

mcrews 08-20-2013 06:06 PM

Pump up the tires and get a scangauge (see link in my signature)

ksa8907 08-20-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyrine (Post 386302)
Any idea how I would go about starting a fuel log?

Keep track of miles traveled divided by gallons used. There is a place to input data in the garage section of the site. If you have a smartphone, fuel log pro is what I use.

Fyi, make sure your odometer is reporting correctly also.

cbaber 08-20-2013 09:13 PM

To start logging tanks in the Garage here on EcoModder, follow these steps:

1. Head over to your Garage by clicking the Garage link at the top
2. If you have a vehicle entered in the Garage, you will see several links including Delete, View, Edit, etc. Click on Fuel Log.
3. On the fuel log page, click on the link that says ADD another fuel log entry for this vehicle

In order for these to be accurate, make sure you top off your tank, preferably at the same gas pump at the same gas station each time. When you are around 1/8 of a tank, fill the tank and record the information on the page I showed you.

mikeyjd 08-20-2013 11:10 PM

Welcome.