Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
TDI Vanagon

Hello from Kentucky

Hello everyone! I'm glad we found each other!

Well, I've been driving economically minded since 1973...... parked and later sold my gas hogg '62 Chevy and purchased a 1960 VW Beetle with the 40hp engine (Sun roof...LOL). I owned several more VW Beetles.

After finishing college in 1974, I landed my career job that fall. Due to circumstances with lots of detail (I'll not go there.), my wife and I were living on my Pop's old farm (for free) at the time. The career job was about 12 miles further away than the temp job I was in right out of school. So, we decided to stay and continue to drive VW Beetles.

In 1980, I purchased a new VW Rabbit Diesel.............haven't looked back nor pumped much gasoline since. I've owned several VW diesels of the early 80s era (sorry, but didn't like the looks after 1985, untill the '99.5 Jettas). I was burning filtered Waste Vegetable Oil in my '81 Jetta Diesel in the mid-80s before it was trendy to do so. I generally ran a 5% mix....pretty neat smelling like burnt french fries!

Anyway, in 2002, I purchased a 2000 Jetta TDI with 45k miles on it. Today, at almost 308k miles, it has a life time average over 50 mpg with basically no mods~! I do not run Bio fuel in it nor WVO.

Presently, I am in the process of installing a 2002 TDI engine in an '84 VW Vanagon. That will be better than a 50% fuel consumption improvement. I hope to finish the project by the end of this month (or sooner). If all goes well, while ironing out the bugs, our plan is to head for Alaska.

The project, with lots of photos and comments, can be seen in the TDIClub. (Sorry, but since I do not have 5 posts, I could not post the link.) I plan to do a Thread during the trip to Alaska posting photos and performance info. I'll most likely do the Thread in the Road Trips there in the TDIclub.

Thanks for reading!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder !

Reply  Post New Thread