EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Hi all from Kiwi in central Canada (pickup aero cap / topper - pictures) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-all-kiwi-central-canada-pickup-aero-cap-30843.html)

rumdog 01-10-2015 02:48 PM

95 GMC pickup streamlined (aerocap and wheelskirts)

3 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...p;d=1420918558

Hi fellow modders, its about time i joined you all and participated in this deadly site... ive been lurking for too long. I had been thinking bout an aero truck topper for year or too before i got 'er done...
It is made of wood with a rubber skin on top, was thinking of wood skin, but couldnt justify the time or extra weight. It has been on the truck for 3 months now and i love it. I drive out of town on highway most days of the week, and have noticed slightly lower revs at cruising speed of 100km/hr. I cannot test l/100kms as have a hole in top of my fuel tank, but it must help. Sure keeps the snow out of my gear, and get some good headturns!
I can also drive 110 with the topper up, and the next step is using it to push the air over the "new" trailer... and some rear wheel skirts of course.

What do you all think?
Feedback appreciated

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...p;d=1421635974

California98Civic 01-18-2015 11:01 AM

Hey, welcome! Nice pics too. I can't believe this greeting got missed given the cool project it presents. I'm sure people would love more details on the rubber covering and how you did it. I don't think I have seen that here yet. And what do you mean "hole in the top" of your gas tank? I hope that's just a missing cap, or maybe a lead foot! ;)

dirtydave 01-18-2015 11:09 AM

Looks good! I bet it has a bit more power pulling the trailer now!

rumdog 01-18-2015 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 464293)
Hey, welcome! Nice pics too. I can't believe this greeting got missed given the cool project it presents. I'm sure people would love more details on the rubber covering and how you did it. I don't think I have seen that here yet. And what do you mean "hole in the top" of your gas tank? I hope that's just a missing cap, or maybe a lead foot! ;)

Thanks California98civic for the welcome. Its a fairly similar shape to many of the truck toppers on here, maybe with a longer overhang at the back. Which just happened as i built it because i used 10 foot strips of wood, then standing back looking at it, i decided to keep it long for aero benefit.
construction is using 1/2 inch ply and studs ripped into about 3/8" strips... see photo, then lots of PL premium and narrow crown staples. The rubber is hard to name as my buddy has a roll of it and gave me a big chunk. It is between 1/16th an 1/8th thick and has a grid of fibre inside it. It doesn't stretch much so had to have a join along where the side meets the top. I stapled it on with a T50 electric staple gun. Pretty simple construction, hardest part was figuring out the "arches".
And the gas tank issue is a leak! But in the top half of the tank... it will take 50 litres no problem, but i can't measure full to full. Shes not the most efficient vehicle on the site but i need the 8' box for work and now towing the trailer too. And the price was right! Free.

Dirty dave: thanks man, im pretty stoaked on how the shape turned out, and yea it must help a little pulling the trailer, but watch this space... i would like to have the topper 'up' to punch the hole for the trailer, semi style! I have tried it already but it needs a little refining (work)

The magnum is our new family wagon, and i am currently doing a mpg test on it stock, on a trip from saskachewan canada to los angeles... 2850 kms each way. So far im pretty happy, it rides nice and smooth and is returning under 10litres/100kms... doing the speed limit which is 80mph in places on I15. Its the "small" 2.7l V6. Would love to bellypan it and maybe rear wheel skirts etc. I do like the low stance and tapering shape, feels stable in the crazy crosswinds!

MetroMPG 01-29-2015 11:36 AM

Belated welcome, rumdog!

Very cool! That's a good looking cap - nice work. My only suggestion would have been to build in a radius at the side/top transition. Complicates construction, but ensures a smoother flow transition between those surfaces.

Are you going to stick around? Garage entries/fuel log?

---

Quote:

Originally Posted by California98Civic (Post 464293)
Hey, welcome! Nice pics too. I can't believe this greeting got missed given the cool project it presents.

I missed it too! (Just edited the thread title and embedded a couple of rumdog's pics to guarantee more eyeballs.)

23baseball3 01-30-2015 02:52 PM

Nice cap! It looks so clean!

MetroMPG 01-30-2015 03:42 PM

I'm curious about the hinge setup.

EDIT: never mind, I figured it out.

rumdog 01-30-2015 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 465888)
Belated welcome, rumdog!

Very cool! That's a good looking cap - nice work. My only suggestion would have been to build in a radius at the side/top transition. Complicates construction, but ensures a smoother flow transition between those surfaces.

Are you going to stick around? Garage entries/fuel log?

---

I missed it too! (Just edited the thread title and embedded a couple of rumdog's pics to guarantee more eyeballs.)

Cheers MetroMPG, are you talking about the cab to topper transition ? Yes i know what you mean... maybe i can gap fill with a thick foam strip, but i don't want to touch the cab as it makes funny noises!
Yea for the hinge i used HD gate hinges and a 2X4 frame.
And yes i plan to stick around! I am still out of country in the magnum... back soon. Love this like minded community! And thanks for tweaking my photos

MetroMPG 01-31-2015 06:59 PM

I actually meant the transition from the "triangular" side pieces to the top surface.

rumdog 01-31-2015 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 466157)
I actually meant the transition from the "triangular" side pieces to the top surface.

Ahh right, it is not as sharp a tranny as it looks in the side photos, i will take a pic when im back. But i hear you... smooth is good!
Next is rear wheel covers and side skirts, will look up the site for mounting ideas. I like the look of bamzippows