EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Hi, from Mighty Mira (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hi-mighty-mira-238.html)

newtonsfirstlaw 12-07-2007 09:00 PM

Hi, from Mighty Mira

I've joined up to see what's going on and comment as appropriate.

I changed my handle, too. The idea being that the first step to fuel economy is reducing external, unbalanced forces (i.e. air and rolling resistance). Once the load is minimized, then we can talk about powerplant efficiencies, and how we can resuse some energy that would otherwise go into heating brake pads.

If we do it the other way, i.e. first tweak the powerplant and then tweak the Crr and Cd, we find that we've way overspecced the powerplant.

SVOboy 12-07-2007 09:02 PM

Very good point on the tweaking, Mira. I'm glad to see you here.

May we be graced by some pictures of your car?

MetroMPG 12-07-2007 09:57 PM

You're still heating brake pads? We've got some talking ahead of us!

Just kidding. Very glad to see you here.

newtonsfirstlaw 12-07-2007 10:03 PM

Metro: the brake pads hardly get used except where absolutely unforeseeable.

SVOboy: I've just taken some new photos.

MetroMPG 12-07-2007 10:44 PM

I think the Mira would make a good addition to the ecomodder.com "header" image.

Currently Ben's car lives there, but the eventual plan is to randomly display vehicles modded by EM members. And from what I saw at GS before the Great Rift, the Mira certainly qualifies as a good example.

RH77 12-07-2007 10:51 PM

Welcome

Welcome to EM :thumbup:

I too look forward to pics.

Keep us posted on the tweaks to the Mira...

RH77 :turtle:

newtonsfirstlaw 12-07-2007 10:56 PM

pics are here:

cfg83 12-19-2007 02:41 AM

newtonsfirstlaw -

Welcome to EM! My brain doesn't like change. It will take some time mapping to your new handle, but I'll get used to it. The aero mods on the Mira look good. What is the reaction to your car in Japan?

CarloSW2

newtonsfirstlaw 12-19-2007 03:45 AM

Hi Ccfg83, Thanks for the comments, and as to the reaction to my car in Japan, not sure because I live in Australia.

The reaction to it here almost always brings a grin, a laugh or a thumbs up. I doubt that anyone realizes the amount of thought and research that goes into something like it. I suppose the most common modifications to vehicles are done for looks, and or downforce, not drag coefficient reduction.

The most common reaction is to say that the grille isn't big enough. I suppress the urge to ask them what the air pressure differential is across the grille cover compared to the across the radiator, and when the last time was that they researched aerodynamics and the physics of heat transfer. Instead I say that I've never had it overheat in 35+ degree days.

damies 03-31-2008 06:19 AM

Thanks All

This site and expecially the Mighty Mira have inspired me!

newtonsfirstlaw,

Which part of Oz are you in? I am in Brisbane.

Dave.