Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

shitcan - '99 chevy metro ????? base bitch
newby

alright so my name is buddy im a 20 year old maine boy i just got my first metro (99 chevy) at first i was just tring to get it all back together the guy who prev owned didnt take care of the body so rust city so tons off work on that just to get a solid shell mechanicly speaking 110 k miles great 1L runner standard of course i cant drive autos in the prosses of a tune up oilpan gasket and ehaust center pipe
ive been following this forum for a few weeks and decided to join i mean most of the tips ect. hear are comon sense to me ive been working cars and driving sense i could reach the pedles so its just natural to me
ive done some light mods in the past more trying to gain power on my old 89 vw jetta, 98 vwgolf, 01 audi a4, 97 a4, 92 golf so im kinda going in a new direction with this one no more torbos and engine power mods
my goal is to do some serious traveling with this metro
any knowlage helps like i said my first eco mod ****can <ecomod****can>i like this i think this is what i will call the poor lil metro

what ive done so far
atemped to advance timing (would like as much info on this subject as possable plz) im not sure if i done it right deff drives diffrent but i cant seem to make it ping so i think i can go farther just dont know how ...

injector kill switch

day time running light override

left the subwoofers in the closet

played with my tire psi

moded rear bumper cut 2-3 inches off the bottom made loovers to try and take advantage of that low pressure area behind the car ..... i actually took a saws all to the rear end and removed some steel that was just hanging out there in space i want my air to flow from the wheel wellls directly though the bumper cover i feel that this will help out that reallty areo. dirty underside just trying it out y nott

i havent made it to the front bumper yet but i plan on doing a 75% block clean up the hood lines/headlight gaps
i wanna experament with ductape on the fr bumper b4 i get to fiberglass just to be safe i aint trying to overheat i drive my cars hard so mechanical proformace is first prioraty

mud flap deleted off course

im also thinking about puting loovers on my fr quarters to promote air flow vs how it just tends to damm up in the engine compartment ???? thoughts ?

i have also been playing with hho <<<<thoughts ???? i dont see to much talk about alt fuels witch i guess is the best way to discribe hho but i have the intrest this will be my 3rd kit ive built and installed ive yet to see a huge increse in mpg 5-10 roughly running hho but that was a 2.8 audi v6 and 1 vw 1.8 n/a
dont tell me it dont work blah blah blah whatever i didnt post to listen to sceptics i just want a braintank to help me along the way

i saw a couple posts talking about moding 5th gear more info please? id love to drop the rpm down a hair with a higher final drive
thought about just geting taller tires would work but i dont wanna increse my ride hight i lowered the front by an inch and dont wanna counteract that
just for a few less rpm

just as a tease.... im halfway done my modding repairing and i got a chance to drive the car yesterday nothing big 20 miles but my rough math leads me to belive that i got +50mpg i live in a verrry hilly area and i can cut the fuel injector for loooonnnngggg streches granted rough math ive yet to learn this car well ive owned it for a week today thanks guys and big thumbs upp on this initutive im glad to see a following and to have some heads to help in my prodject
knolage is power and to see a place where knolage can grow im down (:

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I'd recommend the XFI camshaft and to start doing aeromods like the grill block etc. HHO isn't going to get you anywhere. Louvers on the quarter panels aren't going to do anything either. I haven't heard of a 5th gear mod on a metro, but if you take the trans off a 4 cylinder Metro you get lower ratios.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

would a 4 cly tranny fit a 3cyl witout mods?
Old 08-27-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

oi can anyone tel me how this xfi cam makes a diff whats it shorten the open valve time ? or does it change the time ?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi

Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I believe the transmission is a drop in. The XFI cam improves low rpm power at the cost of high rpm power of course.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
xfi cam changes the power band and the trans are direct fit.
Old 08-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ok so xfi cam is doing what to my valve timing to chive this change in power
Old 08-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site.

I'd recommend the XFI camshaft and to start doing aeromods like the grill block etc. HHO isn't going to get you anywhere. Louvers on the quarter panels aren't going to do anything either. I haven't heard of a 5th gear mod on a metro, but if you take the trans off a 4 cylinder Metro you get lower ratios.
mabe my under standing is inccorect but wouldnt i want a higher gear ratio for lower engine rpm............. so a 4 cyl metro trans would be opposite of what i need?

i say this because i built a drift audi and put a lower range trans in it to achive mad tourqe but the ******* ate fuel like u wouldnt belive i could burn half talk across town just driving sporty would light up all fours on any corner fun but far from efficency
Old 08-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Team Toyota

Mitsubishi