EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Hold your horses: Electric cars won’t go mainstream, Honda says (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/hold-your-horses-electric-cars-won-t-go-37989.html)

redneck 11-18-2019 07:31 PM

Hold your horses: Electric cars won’t go mainstream, Honda says

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/h...ainstream/?amp

Quote:

“EVs will not be mainstream,” company boss Takahiro Hachigo bluntly told industry trade journal Automotive News. His comments echo the ones made earlier in 2019 by Klaus Frölich, BMW’s chief engineer. Hachigo also cast doubts on autonomous tech. “The hurdles to battery electric vehicles and complete autonomous driving are still quite high,” he added.

While Hachigo acknowledged the need to make cleaner cars, he explained Honda will focus on gasoline-electric hybrid systems to reduce its fleetwide emissions. The technology is seen by some as a compromise, but it’s a good one because it reduces fuel consumption (and, consequently, emissions) without the range limitations and long charging times associated with many electric cars. The executive opined that regulations, not demand, is driving electric car sales.
Quote:

“I do not believe there will be a dramatic increase in demand for battery vehicles, and I believe this situation is true globally. There are issues with infrastructure and hardware. There are different regulations in different countries, and we have to abide by them. So, it’s a must to continue research and development, but I don’t believe it will become mainstream anytime soon,” he stated. He also ruled out forging a partnership with a rival to develop battery-powered cars.

And...

Don’t ditch gasoline just yet: BMW argues electric cars are overhyped

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/b...are-overhyped/

Quote:

BMW is spending millions of dollars developing electric cars that motorists don’t want to buy, according to the head of its research and development. The German company needs to add battery-powered cars to its portfolio to comply with the draconian emissions regulations coming into effect soon in the early 2020s in key markets, including Europe, but it doesn’t expect electric cars will outsell gasoline-powered models anytime soon.

“There is no customer request for battery-electric vehicles. There are regulator requests for battery-electric vehicles,” explained Klaus Frölich, the man who oversees BMW’s research efforts, in an interview with Australian website Motoring.
It appears that the last nail in the coffin of Internal Combustion Engine will be further down the road.

Well, at least for Honda and BMW.

:turtle:

>

redpoint5 11-18-2019 07:46 PM

Well, obvi.

EVs have a $7,500+ subsidy and represent 1% of US sales. Can you imagine what would happen, if for instance, the Honda Accord was given a $7,500 subsidy. 90% of all vehicles sold would be a Honda Accord then.

The batteries have to get better/cheaper. If it's just incremental improvements like we've seen, it will be some time before they overtake ICE sales. On the other hand, if a breakthrough occurs, such as the hype surrounding solid state batteries, then they might overtake ICE sales relatively quickly.

My WAG is 2035 to hit 50% sales. We'll see more plug-in hybrids in the meantime.

rmay635703 11-18-2019 08:11 PM

Toyota said the same thing.

Then you combine the limited winter range with local governments taxing the **** out of them and you get what we have.

redneck 11-18-2019 09:06 PM

Hmmm...

Ford and GM’s decision to abandon small cars is already costing them.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-and-gms-de...ady-1839858417

rmay635703 11-18-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 611816)

Hmmm...

Ford and GM’s decision to abandon small cars is already costing them.

https://jalopnik.com/ford-and-gms-de...ady-1839858417

Honda has stated for years that they will never sell a small car in the us again

oil pan 4 11-18-2019 09:43 PM

Not for a long time.
Today electric makes up less than 3% of new car sales, still less than 1% of cars on the road are electric.
Heck even the DoE figures by 2030 that 70% of new cars sold will still be straight gas burners, 10% will be all electric and the rest will be some made up of hybrid and plug in hybrid.

Xist 11-20-2019 12:02 AM

Yes, but Toyota, F-C, and GM are against California maintaining its own standards, so it is costing them?

All Darc 11-20-2019 07:19 AM

It's a matter of battery, everything it's about battery and not the electric car itself.

If a battery with high energy density, to drive 300 miles or more, with low price, fast charging, and eco friendly arrive, electric cars will became the "electric boomer" generation of vehicles.

With a affordable battery, the other components of electric car, if mass production take the helm, became quite cheap.

I isn't a matter of when expect industry to start mass production of electric cars, but a matter o when affordable high density battery will become reality.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-30-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 611899)
With a affordable battery, the other components of electric car, if mass production take the helm, became quite cheap.

Nowadays, most major automakers can make some "driveable" EV relying mostly on off-the-shelf components. Results may not be outstanding, but it's doable.

All Darc 11-30-2019 04:06 PM

Yes, but actual batteries are a limitation for range. You can make something as Tesla do, but with a scarring cost.
Tesla it's as affordable as a yacht. Their batteries are ultra expensive and last just few years.

But you can make a small short range electric car. Unfortunatelly people don't want small short range vehicles. Consumers, specially in USA, have that "freudian complex syndrome with big things".

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 612499)
Nowadays, most major automakers can make some "driveable" EV relying mostly on off-the-shelf components. Results may not be outstanding, but it's doable.

freebeard 12-01-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
Nowadays, most major automakers can make some "driveable" EV relying mostly on off-the-shelf components.

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc
It's a matter of battery, everything it's about battery and not the electric car itself.

Desperate times call for desperate vehicular architecture. Both American pure electric manufacturers utilize folded, laser-cut sheet metal for the monocoque body or backbone chassis.

It's like the trade-off in power/weight. If you can't change the battery, change the thing that carries it around.

oil pan 4 12-01-2019 05:50 PM

Yeah I like to park the leaf next to big pickups to help them feel bigger.
But then when I pull a trailer load of wood or a load of tiles some how that's a challenge to their masculinity. I feel like some of them go buy a bigger pickup when they see an electric car pulling more than their short bed haf tun can carry.

Xist 12-01-2019 06:15 PM

Your Leaf also pulls more than it can carry.

oil pan 4 12-01-2019 10:09 PM

Yeah it pulled 1,400lb of tiles almost like it wasn't there.

freebeard 12-01-2019 11:48 PM

When it comes to towing capacity, I don't think anything matches the Dannar 4.0, but just off-highway — like fording 4' of water with 0.5 Megawatt of battery power.
Quote:

Custom Built Mobile Power Station® - DD DANNAR LLC
https://www.dannar.us.com/products/
Every yard is full of many single-use heavy equipment and maintenance vehicles that can be replaced by a single DANNAR 3.00 or 4.00. With a towing capacity in excess of 600,000 pounds and optional work arms with a 6,850 pound load capacity,the DANNAR out performs traditional skid steers or track loaders.

Natalya 12-08-2019 01:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_QtnMt0X0

freebeard 12-08-2019 01:32 AM

Posted without comment? Hasn't Ford suggested a rematch?

HyperChange:Redwood Materials & Tesla’s Battery Recycling Plans
Quote:

Former Tesla CTO JB Straubel is now working at a "materials recycling" startup in Nevada, called Redwood Materials. Will Redwood & Tesla partner for closed-loop battery recycling? Could this be announced at battery & powertrain investor day?
The car of the future will have a million-mile body that only needs batteries, interior, and brakes (like the GT-40) replacement. I used to work in the electronics recycling industry. It was bad enough with CRTs before electric cars appeared.

Xist 12-08-2019 01:48 AM

Yes, but Ford backs off Tesla Cybertruck tug-of-war rematch challenge, but Musk is doing it anyway

Fox was simply the first Google result.

Did you guys know that Dyson was building an electric car? Don't get excited, they already quit! Dyson has scrapped its electric car project

Well, he sure tried harder than I ever have. He determined that it simply wasn't commercially viable.

slowmover 12-08-2019 05:29 PM

Hybrid makes sense. Metro area.
All electric never did.

Vehicle spec is loaded with you, your family and with luggage/supplies sufficient to get far, far away.

Less than this in vehicle choice is total failure. Black/White when considering the limited net income today’s family's have.

One chance to get it right.

oil pan 4 12-08-2019 06:19 PM

I think generally a regular hybrid with a small battery makes more sense than all electric for most people.

freebeard 12-08-2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Vehicle spec is loaded with you, your family and with luggage/supplies sufficient to get far, far away.

Less than this in vehicle choice is total failure.
That is one end of a spectrum, at the other you have getting groceries.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-08-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 612512)
Unfortunatelly people don't want small short range vehicles.

I'm OK with some bare-bones small vehicles, but a short range is a compromise I wouldn't be willing to deal with.

Had something similar to this been able to sustain a speed more suitable to road traffic, I wouldn't disconsider :D
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BQAdo20Nw...%2Bperuano.jpg

redpoint5 01-08-2020 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 614640)
I'm OK with some bare-bones small vehicles, but a short range is a compromise I wouldn't be willing to deal with.

Had something similar to this been able to sustain a speed more suitable to road traffic, I wouldn't disconsider :D
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-BQAdo20Nw...%2Bperuano.jpg

I saw a lot of similar vehicles in Peru with Batman stickers on them. I asked what the deal with the batman stickers was, and they asked what batman was.

https://monochrome.sutic.nu/2012/01/...-of-taxis1.jpg

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-08-2020 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 614642)
I saw a lot of similar vehicles in Peru

I have already seen plenty of utility tricycles in Brazil and Uruguay, just didn't have seen any of this Peruvian type before. What also surprised me is this one was repurposed from its passenger-carrying design into some sort of motorized hot dog cart.

Lemmy 01-08-2020 08:03 AM

Definitely a way to go yet before customers start clamouring for electric vehicles instead of regulators twisting their arm to do so. A Leaf does something like 125MPGe, yet our Volvo can deliver 120MPG imp actual, and if you don't mind driving it in regular hybrid mode it can be refuelled in about a minute and has a range of over double that of the Leaf without refuelling.

So if the choice is down to the consumer alone without any regulatory pressure, why would they bother?

freebeard 01-08-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr
Had something similar to this been able to sustain a speed more suitable to road traffic, I wouldn't disconsider

I would.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...6-124-1182.jpg

aerohead 01-08-2020 02:47 PM

Honda

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneck (Post 611810)

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/h...ainstream/?amp

And...

Don’t ditch gasoline just yet: BMW argues electric cars are overhyped

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/b...are-overhyped/

It appears that the last nail in the coffin of Internal Combustion Engine will be further down the road.

Well, at least for Honda and BMW.

>

Looks like Honda Motor Corporation has outlived its usefulness to society,and a reason they'll be getting nothing from me in the future.

Daschicken 01-08-2020 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalya (Post 612977)

Weight and traction win in tug of war. The cybertruck is most certainly heavier, and 4wd. The Ford may have been 4wd, but it certainly didn't look like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 612994)
Hybrid makes sense. Metro area.
All electric never did.

Less than this in vehicle choice is total failure. Black/White when considering the limited net income today’s family's have.

One chance to get it right.

Getting a larger vehicle than necessary just for these long trips doesn't necessarily make sense. Of course it all depends on how frequent these trips are, but a yearly vacation does not necessitate a large vehicle. Getting a rental is not the end of the world. Selling a vehicle to get a more appropriate vehicle is also not the end of the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 614696)
Looks like Honda Motor Corporation has outlived its usefulness to society,and a reason they'll be getting nothing from me in the future.

Please tell me you are joking.

Honda has done so much for efficiency. CVCC, Lean burn, VTEC, refusing to make vehicles with more than 6 cylinders, making CARS mainstream, making one of the first hybrids, adopting OHV and OHC for lawn equipment while Briggs continued to make flatheads...

At the very least protest ford or chevy for pushing trucks and SUVs while killing off smaller options.

There are very few car companies which also make motorcycles(an alternative....), and Honda is one of them. One prominent efficient bike being the NC750X.

Way back in 2012 and around that time, the number of Nissan Leaves on the road was insane. It was typical to see two per mile traveled. This was back when Nissan was running a great lease deal with tax credit, which lots of people jumped on. Nowadays, I hardly see leaves anymore. Where did they go? I have no idea.

The Honda of today is not much of an innovator. When electric cars take a higher portion of the market, they will inevitably step it up.

oil pan 4 01-08-2020 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 614696)

I don't know if I would go that far because they do have a point.
It is projected by DoE that even by 2030 that 70% of all passenger auto sales will still be straight nonhybrid gas burners.
It could be 2050 before pure electric takes half the market.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-11-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daschicken (Post 614714)
Getting a larger vehicle than necessary just for these long trips doesn't necessarily make sense

Too bad the SUV craze has almost ended the availability of reasonable vehicles in countries such as Brazil. In the summer when there are lots of tourists from neighboring countries with a greater availability of small vans, most noticeably Argentina, it's easy to figure out how much more efficient some of those vans are compared to slightly larger SUVs.

Quote:

Of course it all depends on how frequent these trips are, but a yearly vacation does not necessitate a large vehicle
Just look at the beauty I spotted yesterday :D
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0zDGl1BYQ...Bdianteira.jpg

Xist 01-12-2020 12:31 AM

Aerohead, what is the newest vehicle that you have bought? :)

freebeard 01-12-2020 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daschicken
Please tell me you are joking.

Poe's law. At times lately, it's hard to decypher. OTOH in the climate change thread he's just flat wrong. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead

So you're saying there are other, possibly more determinative, reasons?

And haven't all manufacturers other than Tesla and Arcimoto outlived their usefulness?

JSH 01-21-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 613001)
I think generally a regular hybrid with a small battery makes more sense than all electric for most people.

A hybrid paired with an EV should work pretty well for many couples.

It worked well for my wife and I. (Before she switched to a bicycle)

niky 01-21-2020 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 612994)

https://images.summitmedia-digital.c...TESTJUN_21.jpg

Six to seven hour drive.

Five up.

Luggage and supplies for four days' stay (anything more is useless. You can wash clothes for reuse).

Need to move anything bigger, and you can rent something.

No sense in buying capacity you aren't going to use 99.9% of the time. Hell, most people drive alone 99.9% of the time.

@CrippleRooster:

https://britsinthephilippines.top/wp...RE-Tuk-tuk.jpg

Since the widespread introduction of these things around two or three years ago, sales have taken off like wildfire. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, take up very little road space, high utility....

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 02-24-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niky (Post 615680)
Since the widespread introduction of these things around two or three years ago, sales have taken off like wildfire. Cheap to buy, cheap to run, take up very little road space, high utility....

I wouldn't disconsider to buy one if it ever gets available in Brazil once again, but I'd be inclined to swap its engine for a 250cc Yamaha and to make a full enclosure.