EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Home made trike ideas, and empathy? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/home-made-trike-ideas-empathy-18348.html)

bobstad 07-31-2011 03:23 PM

Home made trike ideas, and empathy?

2 Attachment(s)
I chanced one day, to be riding my ten-speed around Berkeley, CA say probably in '95, after having an odd dream that morning about a pedal powered tricycle; similar to a trike built from a Honda 350cc two-cylinder motorcycle with a pair of rear drive wheels, articulated to lean into corners. I'd read an article about in probably ROAD & TRACK magazine many years before then, when I'd had a subscription for a year while in high school, class of '69.

My first stop on the old ten-speed was the south branch of the Berkeley Public Library, to try to see if I could snoop around and maybe find that old issue of ROAD & TRACK, right?

Though despite having no luck with that, I was startled to find their current issue featured one of their, enjoyable for a public consumption rag devoted to cars far beyond my finances to acquire, goof-ball articles; about three different types of powered trikes, including one that looked like an aluminum Samsonite style suitcase-which when unfolded became a go-cart type thing a person could ride in.

My day from that point turned to a regular pastime I sure wish I was doing currently; a swim three or four times a week at the Berkeley marina I'd done that year of '95-'96 only, from the beginning of March until the start of November; which really had me in great physical condition, except finally my shoulders got sore from overdoing things.

Again though, I was in for an odd surprise; as pedaling on University Avenue that is the main and only thoroughfare out to the marina, once Berkeley's city dump as well as the east terminus of a ferry to Frisco on a pier once two miles long. While crossing over the freeway, I'd noticed driving below me and pealing off at the Berkeley marina exit, three rear-engine powered trikes, which I'd ridden over to take a look at after they'd been parked, two with VW motors and the third one using a Corvair's.

I've yet to well explain to myself what the heck was going on that day, though as a person who believes I father children in my sleep; right now I'd have to imagine the fix was somehow in, no?

I followed up on the matter soon after, writing a letter to ROAD & TRACK asking about the 350cc Honda; but, they'd sent me a photo-copy of an article I still have about a tricycle car called the TRI-HAWK. Which had been made in Laguna Beach, CA using a flat-four air-cooled Citroen motor adapted to the trans-axle of a Renault LE CAR, which had been widened for better handling in a three-wheel configuration.

This included a road test, which was an amazing thing; as the magazine then had tested only three other cars which bettered the TRI-HAWK's skid pad performance, in the amount of centrifugal force before a skid initiated. Which were high performance models of a Porsche, a Ferrari and a Lambourghini any one of which must've cost about twenty times what that trike did. Which I remember also had a top speed of eighty-five mph.

I've always been a person desirous of the smallest effective package for my transportation, even enjoying going a whole year without wearing any shoes as part of that sort of a drive towards economy, efficiency and pursuit of one of the world's best koans IMHO, "form follows function." So that the TRI-HAWK, and particularly considering the odd enough way I'd first been interested in the thing; has always been intriguing to speculate about.

One of the first things I got to thinking about; was to wonder why the builders chose such unpopular components to base their mechanicals upon, which I remember also included a Honda Silver-Wing rear-end, though without using the drive function of that.

I'd by then been befriended by a two couples whose favored transportation was late '70s Suburu four-wheel drive station wagons; where one man had also been mechanically inclined enough and advantaged with forty acres of scrub timber around their abode they'd owned outright. So that he'd had forty or fifty junk cars he'd been accumulating since he was in high school, to cannibalize for parts to keep his widening variety of vehicles as functional as possible.

Which was a time in my life when I'd also spent most of the dozen years from '82-'94 I owned the thing, living out of a '66 VW "square-back" station wagon; whose motor I overhauled four times and trans-axle I changed twice, the second time all by myself at night due to hundred degree heat during the day, with a tiny kerosene lamp I still have and a flashlight in my mouth.

So, the idea of using the trans-axle from a front wheel drive late '70s Suburu, suddenly became my great fantasy for a home made trike car; as soon as I saw that there is a place in the midwest which specializes in converting VW motors to two-cylinder configuration, to use in ultra-light aircraft.

With proper aerodynamics and an effective design and execution of that; a person just might be able to build a 600cc trike car which would be adequate to drive in all the normal conditions. And, if underpowered, an 800cc version using stock components would be just as feasible; or larger versions with after-market parts, up to about 1100cc.

I'm the sort of person given to philosophical contemplation; where another great koan a woman taught me, rationalizes this sort of notion, which really seems a huge pain in the ass-considering the amount of difficulty involved for a person who really hates to work on cars. "The only thing worse than having a car is not having a car."

Motorcycles really don't cut it as far as I'm concerned, simply as I've never learned to adequately ride one; I consider an artform easily as dangerous as being a high-wire performer in a circus and just as difficult to well master. Whereas driving a car, I'm on that level, or at least ballpark for my needs; and above and beyond what is normal, by a considerable amount.

The ability to carry a passenger and some gear is also a strong consideration; not to mention being less exposed to the weather and more comfortable. I have mobility problems from spinal deformity, so have to mention I'm not as capable as a fully able-bodied person, too. Particularly as I'll be sixty years old August 4th.

I sure can't imagine pulling off such a project as this, all by myself though; and wonder how I might find others also interested in having such a vehicle? Perhaps some sort of an association could be developed, to share various aspects of design, production, economy and inspiration? Over time a small fleet should yield some pretty great innovations, if enough people agreed on the basic parameters of half a VW motor, and late '70s front wheel drive Suburu trans-axle.

My notion is one that unfortunately, seems to be lacking almost always in any sort of an effort such as this; mainly to pare away the bottom line financially. I've existed surviving on SSDI/SSI income over a quarter of a century now, to the point I find any society given to a larger gross income than I have, is simply offensive to sensibility.

I guess my way of reasoning is better adaptable to the sort of transport which is sentient; able to sustain by grazing, rather than petro-chemically. Though that notion may be one too easily advanced, without much of an alternative vision; due to the capitalistic fashion the production of motor vehicles has been almost entirely dominated by.

Just consider if for instance, a car or other motor transport were dealt with as musical instruments are; which might not be too far-fetched a situation to encounter given the demise of capitalism, I'd guess some people have thought a lot more about than myself. Must not there be a point at which designs evolve to; when there are diminishing returns for what is advanced?

People seem to've forgotten about any type of resistance to high-tech solutions; when not long ago appropriate technology was a concept commonly understood.

Corporate capitalism now is ramming genetic modification down most peoples' throats very literally; with incredible abuse of the farming community. So, in something that basic being so effectively dominated, despite profound evidence this is wrong and abusive of humanity; resistance to similar trending in other things, seems even more difficult.

Yet, perhaps there would be a synergy; if consciousness were combined around any means of simply being more economical?

Which leads me to reconsider the opening of this short piece of writing; and the definitely ephemeral about that.

Anyone?

Frank Lee 07-31-2011 03:33 PM

Yeah. But I think more efficient drivetrain components can be chosen and another consideration is the ready availability of cheap service parts.

bobstad 07-31-2011 04:05 PM

why bother?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 253309)
Yeah. But I think more efficient drivetrain components can be chosen and another consideration is the ready availability of cheap service parts.

I have to say, this looks like a pretty stupid and/or inconsiderate reply.

At the least, why hasn't this correspondent mentioned what the more efficient drivetrain components they may have in mind might be?

Is this some clown who has to make of their empowerment a status symbol, rather than a tool for some enlightenment?

Without any examples with which to illustrate the author's reasoning, I'm left to simply feel insulted; and that my effort is a waste of time.

Frank Lee 07-31-2011 04:09 PM

Muttonhead. I agreed with you. At first. :mad:

I didn't see the need to compose an entire novel in response to yours, initially at least.

bobstad 07-31-2011 04:36 PM

come on man, a novel?

this isn't a damned poker game.

bobstad 07-31-2011 11:08 PM

Sorry, no accounting for style; I guess?

You should see the other thing I've been up to on the internet, today. Check this out for size? [http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...#post13085631]

ecomodded 08-01-2011 12:00 AM

quote- Which leads me to reconsider the opening of this short piece of writing; and the definitely ephemeral about that.

Anyone?

I agree, also, I might add,if I may, that the variables are far to great to give you a reply that you would find useful. I will suggest you do more research on what will be useful in the future decades to come, or else you will be starting a project that is behind the times to begin with ie: volkswagen air cooled motor.

bobstad 08-01-2011 02:07 AM

burn-out

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecomodded (Post 253379)
quote- Which leads me to reconsider the opening of this short piece of writing; and the definitely ephemeral about that.

Anyone?

I agree, also, I might add,if I may, that the variables are far to great to give you a reply that you would find useful. I will suggest you do more research on what will be useful in the future decades to come, or else you will be starting a project that is behind the times to begin with ie: volkswagen air cooled motor.

I'm not trying to come up with the next damned super-sonic fighter jet; and don't have any excitement at all about doing further research.

Why not suggest a few of these "variables" and let me decide how useful or not I'd find them? Otherwise you feel condescending out of some strange, impossible to understand, spite of a person.

ecomodded 08-01-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobstad (Post 253384)
I'm not trying to come up with the next damned super-sonic fighter jet; and don't have any excitement at all about doing further research.

Why not suggest a few of these "variables" and let me decide how useful or not I'd find them? Otherwise you feel condescending out of some strange, impossible to understand, spite of a person.

Your attitude is far from acceptable, good night sir.

Frank Lee 08-01-2011 03:54 AM

You noticed that too? LOL

Whatever empathy bob might have had might be gone already; as far as trike ideas I have boatloads of quality input but I think I'll save it for someone else.