EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Homemade wind tunnel? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/homemade-wind-tunnel-3432.html)

justpassntime 06-30-2008 02:07 AM

Homemade wind tunnel?

3 Attachment(s)
Why couldn't you use a peanut oil fog machine and a big fan for home wind tunnel testing?

Note: Wind tunnel assistant not included.

cfg83 06-30-2008 02:13 AM

justpassntime -

Would you have to "scale" the wind speed to the scale of the model or ?!?!?!?

CarloSW2

NoCO2 06-30-2008 02:21 AM

I wish I had the space to build a full size one. Maybe build like a small steel building in the backyard of some future house and put a fan that could simulate 60mph winds on my actual car or something...

dremd 06-30-2008 09:57 AM

My dad actually has a 5 foot (blade) diameter fan that can sustain 35 mph wind. Runs on a 2hp electric motor; barley starts on a 4kw generator but man is it nice when working outside. Hmmm

FastPlastic 06-30-2008 10:26 AM

I've thought about building a scale model wind tunnel. Just can't seem to find a model of the Jeep Cherokee.

A good example of a scale model wind tunnel setup can be found here.

justpassntime 07-01-2008 12:34 AM

Try the toy section...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastPlastic (Post 39719)
I've thought about building a scale model wind tunnel. Just can't seem to find a model of the Jeep Cherokee.

A good example of a scale model wind tunnel setup can be found here.

Try the toy section at your local department store. The model wouldn't have to be a "model".

Check this out VINTAGE METAL TONKA JEEP CHEROKEE WAGONEER TOY TRUCK - eBay (item 140245515768 end time Jul-06-08 18:21:57 PDT)

Shawn D. 07-01-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassntime (Post 39664)
Why couldn't you use a peanut oil fog machine and a big fan for home wind tunnel testing?

Each of those would put out turbulent flow, and together it'd be even worse. You can't put that fog through a small wand, so how are you going to target the area -- have it on a stand?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 39668)
Would you have to "scale" the wind speed to the scale of the model or ?!?!?!?

Yes, if one wanted to get real drag numbers. Look up "Reynolds number."

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassntime (Post 39922)
Try the toy section at your local department store. The model wouldn't have to be a "model".

Check this out VINTAGE METAL TONKA JEEP CHEROKEE WAGONEER TOY TRUCK - eBay (item 140245515768 end time Jul-06-08 18:21:57 PDT)

Yes, the model would have to be a model. Toys are extremely inaccurate, as proven by the link! ;)

aerohead 07-02-2008 03:28 PM

Do want wind tunnel or data?

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassntime (Post 39664)

Note: Wind tunnel assistant not included.

justpassntime,is there some specific info your seeking? I know you're aware of Reynold's Number effects, and how it effects model scaling in wind tunnels.A 1:24 Scale model would require a minimum of 480-mph wind in the test section to just simulate a turbulent boundary layer on your model .Anything short of that would yield meaningless data for you.If there's something specific you'd like to know about your car or potential projects,we may be able to help you out.I have a small tunnel I built for public demos but it's not a serious research tool.And for me,I can intuit and tuft-test in full-scale,faster and cheaper than I ever could with models.And the results are always valid 'cause its full-scale.Let us know.

trikkonceptz 07-02-2008 04:51 PM

I know alot of you are DIY'ers, has anyone thought of retro fitting a spray booth as a wind tunnel? Or is it to small?

That would seem logical, plus you get the added benefit of being able to paint in it, if you maintain it properly.

Shawn D. 07-03-2008 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 40415)
I know alot of you are DIY'ers, has anyone thought of retro fitting a spray booth as a wind tunnel? Or is it to small?

It probably wouldn't be too small in cross-section, but you wouldn't have sufficient empty space in front to ensure that the oncoming air was flowing properly.