EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   honda automatic to manumatic question (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-automatic-manumatic-question-25647.html)

japcarmaniac 04-24-2013 01:12 PM

honda automatic to manumatic question

hi, new member from scotland uk here. im just wondering if anybody on the site has successfully modified there auto transmission to shift manually (specifically hondas). ive read a lot of info here on manumatic conversion and solenoid switching. just wondering if theres anybody who has found any other modifications that can be done and/or there experience with these type of modifications.

thanks.

Miller88 04-24-2013 01:17 PM

If it's controlled by solenoids, it's possible ... with a bit of work. However, you're still going to have the inefficient torque converter, that, when unlocked is going to use up a lot of energy. Even manually locking it would require some more work (and would definitely set a check engine light) .. and require a lot more work to "shift" the manumatic.

elhigh 04-24-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miller88 (Post 368067)
(and would definitely set a check engine light) .. and

Not necessarily. I've read about a few different Subie owners running the 4EAT (like mine) who become disenchanted with how their lockup TC works and have wired in a manual switch to force the lockup one way or the other. Incorporating a dummy load to simulate the presence of the solenoid keeps the CEL from lighting.

japcarmaniac 04-24-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 368073)
Not necessarily. I've read about a few different Subie owners running the 4EAT (like mine) who become disenchanted with how their lockup TC works and have wired in a manual switch to force the lockup one way or the other. Incorporating a dummy load to simulate the presence of the solenoid keeps the CEL from lighting.

i may investigate this for more ideas.

japcarmaniac 04-24-2013 02:15 PM

had a quick look but they dont seem to have full manual control over the up and down shift

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-25-2013 04:50 AM

If you're in Europe, why don't you get a manual transmission and adapt an automatic clutch setup like the ones used by disabled drivers? At least it's easier to get those back there than in America...

elhigh 04-25-2013 08:41 AM

That's right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by japcarmaniac (Post 368078)
had a quick look but they dont seem to have full manual control over the up and down shift

Those owners are only building overrides for their torque converter lockup clutches. I don't know of any who have done anything about building in a command override for the shifting system. I don't doubt there are some smart hacker/gearheads out there that could do it, but I can emphatically assure you that I am not one of them. And of course I'm still talking about Subaru owners; whether any of this info translates into Honda hardware I have no idea.

AndrzejM 04-25-2013 02:40 PM

I've seen successful conversion of Jeep Cherokee's automatic gearbox to "manumatic" with converter lockup on demand. It worked great, but ECU was very simple. Newer cars can throw a code when gearbox will miss a shifting point. So my suggestion is to not mess anything up permanently. Just leave GCU working until you'll be sure that your setup is working fine in all conditions.
I think that can be done, and you gave me a subject to think of. Maybe someday I'll try to convert my wife's car to manumatic.

japcarmaniac 04-25-2013 03:26 PM

i know its possible and have seen a few dsm (our equivalent to Mitsubishi think) owners doing this and it would be great so get some definitive info specifically on hondas as im sure alot of people would benefit. as mentioned above if there are electronic safety features built into the car programming then over riding things could create problems. only one way to find out.... lol.