EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   HONDA to leave F1 after 2021 season (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/honda-leave-f1-after-2021-season-38638.html)

aerohead 10-02-2020 01:53 PM

HONDA to leave F1 after 2021 season

This morning on NHK Television, Tokyo, Japan ( on PBS ) they announced that Honda Motor Company would leave Formula-1 after next years' season.
They're going to concentrate on hydrogen fuel cell and BEV technology.
They also showed some of the Beijing, China Auto Show. 50% of the vehicles there were BEVs. A few nights ago, PBS mentioned that China is targeting zero-car emissions in a couple of decades or so. Japan is building new oil refineries in Basra, Iraq.

redpoint5 10-02-2020 02:00 PM

I've been wondering when Honda and Toyota would seriously jump into the EV ring.

BEV is a good long term goal (20 years). PHEV makes the most sense at the moment in every metric (environmental, economic, utility, etc).

F1 is about the only sporting event I care to watch, so it's a shame they are leaving. Although the engines are ICE, there is a ton of interesting tech that can be applied in the hybrid realm going on in F1 such as KERS. Honda's exit means only manufacturers I don't care about remain (European).

Maybe they can jump into Formula E since that would be a fraction of the Formula 1 budget.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-02-2020 02:11 PM

IIRC it's not the first time that Honda quits its Formula 1 program, but this time I wouldn't hold my breath for an eventual comeback.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 632544)
I've been wondering when Honda and Toyota would seriously jump into the EV ring.

Toyota usually has such a conservative approach that it actually becomes surprising they released a high-volume production hybrid earlier than other Japanese automakers.

Quote:

BEV is a good long term goal (20 years). PHEV makes the most sense at the moment in every metric (environmental, economic, utility, etc).
About 8 years ago, when I joined EcoModder and the Prius was officially released in my country, I wouldn't believe if someone told me I would see so many hybrids on a regular basis, including PHEVs.

wheelbender6 10-03-2020 01:06 PM

Honda management has probably tired of the whole F1 culture. They brought us some great Grand Prix performances.
-Alan Jones is the earliest Honda powered F1 driver that I remember.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-03-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelbender6 (Post 632680)
Honda management has probably tired of the whole F1 culture.

F1 culture has been mostly destroyed by political correctness, plus other categories such as Formula E might cater to a different audience, while those who prefer either a more conservative approach to racing or want to see something which may lead to an actual development of technology for road-going cars may prefer rally, touring or endurance.

samwichse 10-03-2020 10:05 PM

Honestly, Honda lost their mojo as a car company sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's, IMO.

They make perfectly serviceable, reliable cars now, but absolutely nothing that couldn't be easily swapped for some other product that fits in the exact same market space.

RIP US S660 release, Honda Fit, enjoy all the crossovers. I'm sure that hydrogen will work out for you any day now.

redpoint5 10-03-2020 11:16 PM

I've heard fantastic things about the Accord hybrid. Doesn't it get something like 55 MPG?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-08-2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 632721)
Honestly, Honda lost their mojo as a car company sometime in the late 90's/early 2000's, IMO.

I don't see it that way, yet Honda doesn't seem to set itself apart the competition when it comes to small cars with a stronger character as it used to do.

Fat Charlie 10-08-2020 07:09 PM

Two words: Brawn GP.

That, and if Honda made a butter knife, I'd probably buy it.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 10-09-2020 01:19 AM

Bernie Ecclestone recently tossed the bucket about the transition to current turbocharged V6 hybrid powerplants being a mistake. Even though I'm far from being totally unfavorable to turbochargers and some hybrid setups, Mercedes-Benz and Lewis Hamilton were clearly favored by this approach, since Mercedes-Benz was at least 2 years ahead the competition as it already studied hybrid powertrains for Formula One before the changes on regulations led to it becoming implemented. The field needs to be levelled back.