EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   How to accept momentum from other drivers (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-accept-momentum-other-drivers-17778.html)

actwithclarity 06-10-2011 01:29 AM

How to accept momentum from other drivers

Situation: you are stuck behind a slow driver, unable to pass because of other traffic, impatient, tailgating, cursing.

That situation is experienced by many, perhaps the majority of drivers. In the heat of the moment they would do practically anything to make the slow driver go faster.

Since I'm pretty sure they are willing to help us go faster, if we could design a mechanism to facilitate the transfer of momentum from them to us, we would benefit in terms of time, fuel consumption (on our end), and MPG.

How about if you have something with a soft surface on the rear of your vehicle which the person behind you can drive up to and safely, gently push on? A step further, you could rig it to, say, automatically engage the clutch and shut off the engine or such to make optimal use of the push. You would need to have a big sign on the back welcoming drivers to give you a push if you are driving too slow for their liking, with some bogus explanation. This would be a very foreign concept, it would be interesting to see how people respond to it and the legal implications.

euromodder 06-10-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 244155)
Situation: you are stuck behind a slow driver, unable to pass because of other traffic, impatient, tailgating, cursing.

Relax, it's all good for your fuel economy.

Quote:

How about if you have something with a soft surface on the rear of your vehicle which the person behind you can drive up to and safely, gently push on?
Are you nuts ?

If the push is too hard or off-center, you could be in serious trouble.
If the front car has to brake, it'll have to brake for both cars, one of them with a driver still on the gas.
Good luck trying to stop in due time.

nemo 06-10-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Since I'm pretty sure they are willing to help us go faster, if we could design a mechanism to facilitate the transfer of momentum from them to us, we would benefit in terms of time, fuel consumption (on our end), and MPG.

And how about a device for the front of the car so you could attach to that empty semi that is passing wasting al that fuel?

I believe they are both available from The Acme Corporation.

Ask Wile E. Coyote for installation and model choice. I think he posts here from time to time, mostly in the Unicorn Corral.

"That's a Joke Son"

Hope you get the cartoon humor. :)

In all seriousness having been pushed in excess of 80 MPH I can definitely not recommend it it. Some crazy idea about push starting an automatic.

Quote:

sign on the back welcoming drivers to give you a push

"Push don't pass I'm pedaling as fast as I can." Seen that somewhere.

Piwoslaw 06-10-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 244160)
Are you nuts ?

This is how police try to spin chased cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnAQw0W-Pkc

Frank Lee 06-10-2011 08:56 AM

Quote:

Almost never happens to me.

Probably happens a lot to people behind me though! L O L :thumbup:

actwithclarity 06-10-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

It would be hard to push someone off-center on a well designed pad on their bumper. The reason for using the pad is because you don't want to damage either vehicle. Accepting a little push does not mean people can slam into your side or cause damage or anything. If they push you into a collision then they are going to be at fault.

Quote:

If the front car has to brake, it'll have to brake for both cars, one of them with a driver still on the gas.
Good luck trying to stop in due time.

I think this would be mostly used for highway driving, where braking is quite rare. It would probably be necessary to modify your brake lights anyways since if someone pushing you they might not be able to see them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 244184)
And how about a device for the front of the car so you could attach to that empty semi that is passing wasting al that fuel?

Nobody cares about people driving slow behind them. The whole idea here is to exploit people who get angry when they are forced to slow down. Although it would be interesting to attach yourself to someone else on the highway and get towed for free, I don't think they would respond very kindly to it.

Frank Lee 06-10-2011 09:05 PM

Angry motorists pushing my vehicle. Nope, I'll pass on that.

Thymeclock 06-10-2011 11:16 PM

Probably all you need would be a bumper sticker that says "If you are going to tailgate me, PUSH HERE".

I'm sure eventually someone would oblige...:rolleyes:

The abbreviated, more vulgar version would simply say "Kiss my a--". (But that might be taking it too far.) :eek:

D.O.G. 06-10-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 244195)
Almost never happens to me.

Probably happens a lot to people behind me though! L O L :thumbup:

Actually, it happens to me quite often.
I do a lot of coasting in neutral (automatic) and have worked out what speed I need to be doing to maximise the coast in that location.
It's really very annoying to have a three kilometre coast cut in half because some shoebox on wheels is going 10kph below the speed limit.

actwithclarity 06-10-2011 11:40 PM

It's really annoying when you're driving a company vehicle with free gas and the shoebox in front of you is only going 10km/h over the speed limit.

Frank Lee 06-10-2011 11:55 PM

They either have to pass or get used to it.

jakobnev 06-11-2011 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
How about an URL printed on the back of your car that people can go to from their smartphones and pay for your gas? In return you go faster.

Maybe a tag that looks something like this:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1307784907

Cd 06-11-2011 11:07 AM

I see company vehicles all the time with stickers on the back that say " TOP SPEED OF VEHICLE SET AT 75 MPH."
If you really want to drive slow and not anger the people behind you, you could always just place a large note on your back window that says " Transmission problems - please pass ".
That would be the polite thing to do.

actwithclarity 06-11-2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 244426)
How about an URL printed on the back of your car that people can go to from their smartphones and pay for your gas? In return you go faster.

Very interesting idea, and you would probably get some. I wonder if phone could scan it properly. :)

actwithclarity 06-11-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 244450)
If you really want to drive slow and not anger the people behind you, you could always just place a large note on your back window that says " Transmission problems - please pass ".

I don't really care about angering people behind me, some times I actually get off on it, but that would be a polite thing to do for sure.

euromodder 06-11-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 244450)

Driving a car with technical defects is an offence here.

Christ 06-11-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 244393)
It's really annoying when you're driving a company vehicle with free gas and the shoebox in front of you is only going 10km/h over the speed limit.

Foolish.

I drive a company vehicle for a living, and still strive for fuel economy above the average of all my fellow drivers.

I don't pay for fuel, but why waste it?

No gas is free gas... It still affects you when you waste it, in more ways than you think.

Christ 06-11-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 244508)

How about a sign that reads "Gas card declined this morning - please pass so I can draft to work."

Arragonis 06-11-2011 02:36 PM

My ex-boss (circa 1997) would occasionally "push" the car in front mainly as an aid to it getting out of his way.

I did sit in his car once and he drove on the 'wrong' side of a 2 lane road for 2-3 miles and then when I said "why" he said "ooops, I thought this was a dual carriageway..."

actwithclarity 06-11-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 244514)
I don't pay for fuel, but why waste it?

For fun.

Quote:

No gas is free gas...

As far as my pockets are concerned it is. :)

Quote:

It still affects you when you waste it, in more ways than you think.

Not worth sacrificing my time and joy for it.

P.S. I can see if you are in competition with your coworkers over fuel consumption or such, but that is not my case.

Christ 06-11-2011 02:47 PM

I'm not in competition with anyone, I just chose not to be part of the problem.

This scenario may or may not fit you personally - "The company just cannot afford to give you a raise this year -fuel costs are going up..."

Wonder why?

It doesn't make any more sense to waste something that someone else paid for than it would to waste your own things. If wasting resources is fun for you, I'm afraid we don't share the same definition of fun.

Kodak 06-11-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 244521)
I'm not in competition with anyone, I just chose not to be part of the problem.

Would be pretty cool though if the company set a baseline mpg, and you could recoup ~half the $ from all the gas you save my ecodriving.

Assuming they keep track of the odometer and gas consumption, I wonder if anyone has ever thought "is this gas receipt correct!?".

actwithclarity 06-11-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christ (Post 244521)
If wasting resources is fun for you, I'm afraid we don't share the same definition of fun.

Driving fast can be fun because it optimizes time, because high speeds require more focus, and as a way to show off your driving skills.

Hypermiling wastes the resource of time. So let's not be deluded about any of this, saving in one category is wasting in another, and it's all fun to someone.

Total wasting can be fun for rich people.

Total wasting of the resources at the expense of someone you don't care about or don't like can be fun.

Kodak 06-11-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 244542)
Hypermiling wastes the resource of time. So let's not be deluded about any of this, saving in one category is wasting in another, and it's all fun to someone.

That statement is correct when talking about highway speeds. Ex. 70 will get you there faster than 60mph (if your only concern is time - not gas). You're correct in that regard; I won't dispute it.

However, hypermiling consists of a lot of different tools for the job. Speeding up to a red light saves zero time. It only wastes fuel. In fact, doing this frequently will eventually add up to more trips to the gas station - even if it is on a micro-scale. Same with tailgating. Driving with a buffer saves gas, but how much time does it cost you? 3 seconds for a few extra car lengths? Maybe, if that.

Another tip that saves gas, but costs no time is reducing idle time. Having the engine on with no intention to actually go anywhere is pure waste. You see where I'm going with this.

So faster speeds only save time on the highway, when there are no other traffic-based situations that affect your commute.

That's an interesting way to look at it.

larrybuck 06-13-2011 07:15 PM

Hmmmmm!
I see many wheels clicking in the minds of these previous posts!

In this sue happy USA, do you really want to invite a stranger to bump your car.? I see the makings of a whole new Dual movie. ( Steven Spielberg's flick w Dennis Weaver in his Plymouth Valiant)

That would be like inviting Kyle Busch to be nice to your car???

I have always driven company vehicles as nice as if my own. On last job, was able to get 8mpg out of a 10wheeler w 35' trailer around town which is good, but most employers are not even smart enough to notice or care. That should not change your attitude though. Do onto others........................ Waste is waste no matter who owns the veh.

Christ 06-13-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodak (Post 244525)
Would be pretty cool though if the company set a baseline mpg, and you could recoup ~half the $ from all the gas you save my ecodriving.

Assuming they keep track of the odometer and gas consumption, I wonder if anyone has ever thought "is this gas receipt correct!?".

I used the same vehicle for a series of runs over about 2 weeks, averaging close to 1500 miles per week, which caused the 5000 mile average to come up enough that the district coordinator called me into his office to talk about it.

A good step toward starting that fuel economy bonus program I want, he stayed watching the tracking program to notice when I turn the engine off, how I drive in general, etc.

On my WORST days, I can't match the AVERAGE of any or all of the other drivers.

Thymeclock 06-13-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cd
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by euromodder (Post 244508)

Large notes and bumper stickers are not necessarily true. As far as I know they are not illegal (yet). However they are expressions made with intent to influence.

I can remember two from the 1970's:

"Beware of flying parts"

"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you"

The former shows humor and a (usually obvious) lack of resources for vehicle maintenance, virtually always apparent in the overall appearance of the jalopy.

The latter shows an attitude of resentment: one of hubris and the imposition of a supposed moral superiority by intentionally impeding the flow of traffic.

actwithclarity 06-13-2011 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 244981)
"I may be slow, but I'm ahead of you"

Funny! I don't think I'd put that on my beloved car, would make a lot of enemies. :D

morphector 06-13-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrybuck (Post 244957)
I have always driven company vehicles as nice as if my own. On last job, was able to get 8mpg out of a 10wheeler w 35' trailer around town which is good, but most employers are not even smart enough to notice or care. That should not change your attitude though. Do onto others........................ Waste is waste no matter who owns the veh.

I once had a job that required a lot of driving with company vehicules. Yep I was guilty of redlining every truck I've got my hands on. My average on an econoline with ladder on top was around 10 mpg. Unfortunately wee were appreciated on number of jobs done per day, not on FE of trucks.

Some ''trouble'' I've got with FE bonus is that not every trucks/cars got the same FE. Even the type of road ain't the same so it's a bit hard to compare everybody.

actwithclarity 06-13-2011 11:33 PM

^ Exactly. If my employer caught me hypermiling on a company truck during work hour, they would say "hurry the **** up we got work to do!" A few dollars in gas means nothing compared with the profit pulled in.

euromodder 06-14-2011 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thymeclock (Post 244981)
Large notes and bumper stickers are not necessarily true. As far as I know they are not illegal (yet). However they are expressions made with intent to influence.

The risk of getting pulled over increases if you openly state your vehicle is not in good working order .

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity
If my employer caught me hypermiling on a company truck during work hour, they would say "hurry the **** up we got work to do!"

If you do long distances, then slowing down will increase the time required for a trip.
On my 30-odd miles commute, despite going 12mph slower than before, my average speed hasn't really dropped much, if at all, and the time I need to get to and from work is still the same.
I may be going slow, but I'm not slowing down ;)

appuchan 06-14-2011 06:14 AM

How to accept anger from other drivers.

Interesting. It will be good to have some device to convert the anger into electrical energy and charge some battery bank which will help you to save some fuel. Some sort of "emotionally active hybrid" car. And if the driver is so angry that he jumps up and down on the seat and keep shouting, well you have more scope for energy conversion.

jakobnev 06-14-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245004)
^ Exactly. If my employer caught me hypermiling on a company truck during work hour, they would say "hurry the **** up we got work to do!" A few dollars in gas means nothing compared with the profit pulled in.

I bet they wouldn't complain at all if you used hypermiling techniques to get to where you were going faster, with the same amount of fuel, tho!

larrybuck 06-14-2011 06:00 PM

With an older VW Diesel, an easy bumper sticker could be: WARNING: 0-50mph in 3 yrs.!!

"I'm happy U are employed to drive faster$$"

Happy to drive faster for $$$

Sorry! the squirrels peddling my eng. are tired today!

My unemployement check says: my future is slow!

SHOW ME your professional passing skills!

I can't break the egg under my foot; it's my family's dinner!

Why haven't you passed yet; we're waiting!!!

Don't be stuck in the middle w me: PASS!

They say ALL THINGS WILL PASS: why won't U???

MPG NERDS HERE!; plan your pass NOW!!!

I go SLOW 'cuss wife's allowance low!.... (husbands)

I drive an economy car for it's intended use; HELLO???

I DON'T WANT to get home fast: the MOTHER OUTLAW might still be there!

I MUST corner slowly; the earth is flat!

If my car is so ugly; why are U still following???

If I am so slow; why are U still there???

Why race to redlight? I enjoy DRIVING; myself!!!

You've seen me here before... get up earlier; already!!!

This is the slow lane!! Yours is over there!!!

Does it make U feel POWERFUL 2 pass cars?? Test yourself!

If HASTE IS WASTE... U don't look too good!

Saving fuel not only wins NASCAR races; it also saves families!!

Easy come/go??? Not w my $$$$$

Sorry! You haven't volunteered to pay for my gas; yet!!!

Rather save toward family vacation, not un-needed brake jobs!!

Driving "GREEN" is FREEDOM! Are U anti-AMERICAN???

You wouldn't tailgate me walking in the mall: don't do it here EITHER!!!

NASCAR clearances don't work on public roads, leave your ROWDY for the track!!

REAL RACERS leave their action at the track!

There is a time/place for everything.... that's why I'm here!

If you're a showoff, we agree!! Your show iiiiissss OFF!

Great driver's seldom need the brake pedal, how are U progressing???

Stopping at red lights is ok for beginners; wouldn't U like to be more advanced???

Tailgaters are generous indeed! They love to give their INSURANCE Company a raise!!!

60's acceleration is NOT POLITICALLY CORRECT! What rock did you crawl out from?

Friends wouldn't let friends be seen driving WASTEFULLY!

You claim to be living GREEN: does your driving match???

I must still be far from home: my SUPER MAGNET isn't pulling this car much yet!!

I want to stay on the road as long as I can: my wife is a CRAB!!! (husband, kids)

Free Driving School: follow me and save your family $$$!!!

Only ROOKIES have to start/stop all the time..be SMOOOOOOTH!!!

You still drive over manhole covers, and bad bumps; are you NEEEEEEEWW???

If you can't drive smooth; stay home: you are embarrass

ing yourself!!!

If you are not a rat in a race; why join one??

Fender's are great guitars, and they look good on my car: don't take them off!

Bumper cars were fun as a kid; but why are you crowding me now??? HELLO???

Everybody has 24 hrs.... I like to use a lot HERE!!!

UFO 06-14-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245004)

Listen to what others are posting here. Hypermiling is not going slow, it's driving with more intelligence. In traffic, allowing room in front is not going slow, and closing that gap will not get you to your destination faster.

I saw a fellow I work with today on the I25, 4 lanes wide, busy traffic. He drove the left lane with the rest of the speed demons. I was in the right with 50' - 100' in front of me cruising at a constant speed, going out of gear when the traffic slowed. Guess who got to work first? Me.

It's not a fair comparison either, but I'm sure he was getting 10mpg in his lifted Dodge truck, and I got 43mpg in my auto VW TDI.

I don't drive slowly, I drive the speed of traffic with lower bandwidth; that's for you electrical geeks.

actwithclarity 06-14-2011 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 245143)
Listen to what others are posting here. Hypermiling is not going slow, it's driving with more intelligence.

I'm driving around on spacious highways up here, so yes, driving 90km/hr max, maybe P&Ging the whole way, is definitely going to get me there slower than driving 110km/hr max (speed limit) or 120-130km/hr (when no cops around). In city driving it's not so much of an advantage to drive fast, but the fast driver/accelerator will eventually get some lead on you by making it through a series of lights that you get stopped at.

Cd 06-14-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 245143)
Hypermiling is not going slow, it's driving with more intelligence.

That's fantastic. That should be a bumper sticker !

( larrybuck - I like your ideas as well, especially the " This is the slow lane - yours is over there ! " one )

user removed 06-14-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245149)
I'm driving around on spacious highways up here, so yes, driving 90km/hr max, maybe P&Ging the whole way, is definitely going to get me there slower than driving 110km/hr max (speed limit) or 120-130km/hr (when no cops around). In city driving it's not so much of an advantage to drive fast, but the fast driver/accelerator will eventually get some lead on you by making it through a series of lights that you get stopped at.

While that may be true, I can't tell you how many times I have passed that same faster driver at the next traffic light that he raced up to, or even worse pulled over in front of me and blocked the pathway for me because I know how the lights are timed. I have driven through 65 in one trip and never caught a single one red.

You will never do that by blasting up to ever red light trying to catch it as it just turns green, but I regularly drive through 45 or more daily and sometimes have to stop for fewer than 3.

Bottom line everyone's situation is different. I guess I could go 20 MPH and get 60 MPG, but that is not my priority. The worst section of road for me requires 47 MPH average speed in a 45 zone, or you will catch every light red. I have made it through that section of road at 80 MPG when it was timed correctly and the 3 lights that are triggered instead of timed did not catch me and destroy my momentum.

regards
Mech

Frank Lee 06-14-2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actwithclarity (Post 245149)
...but the fast driver/accelerator will eventually get some lead on you by making it through a series of lights that you get stopped at.

Not necessarily true. More often than not I get to cruise right past stopped Mr. Jackrabbit at a fresh green light that he has kindly tripped for me. :thumbup:

Thymeclock 06-14-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 245170)
While that may be true, I can't tell you how many times I have passed that same faster driver at the next traffic light that he raced up to, or even worse pulled over in front of me and blocked the pathway for me because I know how the lights are timed. I have driven through 65 in one trip and never caught a single one red.

That's because you have analyzed the route and in effect you have an insider's knowledge of it. Knowing how the lights are timed has virtually nothing to do with your speed. If you didn't have that knowledge, you'd have to guess and your success rate would be much lower.

I know of some instances in my vicinity where I will be stuck at long lights at various intersections if I don't accelerate briskly from a previous traffic light. If there is no traffic in front of me, I can make the next light before it turns red, which avoids my having to stop for an upcoming string of lights that would otherwise be against me. Again, it all comes down to having knowledge of a particular route and how the lights are timed.

Quote:

Bottom line everyone's situation is different.
The last sentence is indeed the applicable phrase. :D

Similarly, in highway driving I often will end up at the same place (or even ahead of) a pushy driver who cuts in and out, constantly doing multiple lane changes in a futile attempt to get ahead. Drivers like that don't think ahead and predict the probability of the movement of other drivers on the road, they only act in an aggressive manner. Knowing how to avoid becoming 'boxed in' is a more successful strategy. I just love it when Mr. Pushy gets himself boxed in behind slower moving traffic. Sometimes I'm even instrumental in having it happen. I smile at seeing him diminish in my rear view mirror, with no way out of his predicament... :)