EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   DIY / How-to (https://ecomodder.com/forum/diy-how.html)
-   -   How to - Almost OEM Upper Grill Block for 2013 Subaru Sti (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-almost-oem-upper-grill-block-2013-subaru-27277.html)

jedi_sol 10-16-2013 04:09 PM

How to - Almost OEM Upper Grill Block for 2013 Subaru Sti
 
I want the upper grill block to look as OEM as possible and also to be removeable. This took me about 21 days to build (it took this long only because i can only work on it for about 2 hours a day).

Not to brag or anything, but i think it looks darn good!
Let me know what you think!

The basic method...i made a "copy" of the grill with fiberglass, then filled the void with greatstuff foam, then sanded and shaped with bondo.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2270.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2273.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2274.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2275.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2278.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2280.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2281.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2282.jpg

grrr:mad:
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2351.jpg

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2398.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2400.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2403.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2404.jpg

FINISHED!

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2418.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2419.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2420.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2421.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2424.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2437.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2440.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2439.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m...i/IMAG2438.jpg

nemo 10-16-2013 05:52 PM

Nice work!

gone-ot 10-16-2013 06:35 PM

...yes, very nice work!

brucey 10-16-2013 06:53 PM

Looks great! Going to have to figure out how to block mine out pretty soon while still staying incognito!

jeff88 10-16-2013 07:23 PM

I'd say 21 days is well worth the wait. It looks like you put a lot of effort into this.

Just want to ask about airflow. Under the hood and above the new grill block is a small slit. Does that allow airflow through the radiator, or that blocked further back? Does the scoop allow airflow into the top of the engine compartment? On my 4Runner, the scoop is blocked inside, which doesn't allow airflow (for anything, let alone cooling). What about underneath the air dam? Does the radiator go down far enough to allow the air that does end up under the car to run through it? Do you have a belly pan to stop that flow?

I'm just wondering if there is any airflow anywhere in the system.

Very nice work! :thumbup:

jedi_sol 10-16-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brucey (Post 395762)
Looks great! Going to have to figure out how to block mine out pretty soon while still staying incognito!

it looks like the upper grill on the crosstrek is removeable. Therefore, you can take it off to spend more time with it to make it look nicer:
http://quirk-images.com/ebay01/subar...00U9-a.jpg.jpg

here are my instructions on how i removed my upper grill (without having to remove the front bumper). the procedure might be similar for your car.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/389371-post64.html

jedi_sol 10-16-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff88 (Post 395763)
I'd say 21 days is well worth the wait. It looks like you put a lot of effort into this.

Just want to ask about airflow. Under the hood and above the new grill block is a small slit. Does that allow airflow through the radiator, or that blocked further back? Does the scoop allow airflow into the top of the engine compartment? On my 4Runner, the scoop is blocked inside, which doesn't allow airflow (for anything, let alone cooling). What about underneath the air dam? Does the radiator go down far enough to allow the air that does end up under the car to run through it? Do you have a belly pan to stop that flow?

I'm just wondering if there is any airflow anywhere in the system.

Very nice work! :thumbup:

Yes, i am running into airflow issues as the engine temps are now hovering around 195-205F...typically engine temps are 188F.

Yes the sti has FUNCTIONAL ;) hood scoop that feeds the top mounted intercooler :D. The "slit" on the top doesnt lead to anywhere, its blocked from behind. I am thinking of making a small plug for that area too to increase laminar flow. Yes, there is a front FLAT belly pan from Subaru for smoother airflow down there.

However, the issue seems to stem from my larger lower grill block. Back when i was doing my "early" versions of upper and lower grill block, 100% upper grill and 80% lower grill did not effect engine temps at all. Therefore, i am going to trim my lower grill block some more to increase air flow to the radiator.

Jethro 10-17-2013 11:22 AM

This looks very nice. I appreciate the effort you put into this.
Could put an STi sticker on it, and no one would know it wasn't stock.

jedi_sol 10-17-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 395829)
This looks very nice. I appreciate the effort you put into this.
Could put an STi sticker on it, and no one would know it wasn't stock.

Yes, it's on my list of things to do :)

deejaaa 10-17-2013 02:07 PM

looks nice to me.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com