EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   How do you handle EXTREME tailgaters? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-do-you-handle-extreme-tailgaters-5214.html)

99metro 09-23-2008 09:33 AM

How do you handle EXTREME tailgaters?

Seems to happen more often these days. I feel that when I am maintaining 55 mph, hugging the right fog line, and the guy behind me is 3 to 5 feet on my rear - THAT is too close.

How do I handle it? I just do an extended "glide" part of pulse and glide! Clutch in and coast. I do "the closer you get, the slower I go" theory. This morning while coasting down, I also put on my hazards. Not really sure how to get the message across to these people besides a "Benny Hill" to the back of the head!

Wasn't long ago I did a brake check, dropping a quick 5mph. Afterthought made me realize this was too dangerous - an 18xx lb Metro is no match for a 250,000 lb (exaggerated) semi - or ANY other vehicle for that matter.

I'm adjusting [the nut] still and not allowing them to make my blood boil. I'd rather just sip coffee, "play my piano and sing my little songs" (Ray Stevens).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Frank Lee 09-23-2008 09:38 AM

I just ignore 'em or gradually slow down if they have the option of passing.

bikin' Ed 09-23-2008 09:40 AM

If it's a semi, I do what you did and just go slower until he passes. If it's a car, and has every opportunity to pass but doesn't, I assume he is drafting. He gets better aero as do I. If he wants to mimic my style, I just try to enjoy it. I guess tire to tire bicycle racing has made me pretty immune to worry about someone behind me. Is that a bad thing?

tasdrouille 09-23-2008 10:17 AM

I look at my ScanGauge and smile while I see the instant MPG go higher the closer the tailgater gets.

I ignore them and go my way. I just make sure I keep a fairly constant speed.

i_am_socket 09-23-2008 10:25 AM

Depending on the road and if they're honking at me, I'll either ignore them or suddenly decide that my windshield is a little dirty and needs a quick washing. :)

99metro 09-23-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 62796)
I look at my ScanGauge and smile while I see the instant MPG go higher the closer the tailgater gets.

I ignore them and go my way. I just make sure I keep a fairly constant speed.

Ahh yes! Nascar theory. Two cars are faster and more efficient than one car alone. That helps. Is my one hour therapy session up yet?

TKWPrime 09-23-2008 10:35 AM

Opposite problem...

The closer they get the slower you go not only works but it is proper driving procedure. If they are tailgating, you slow down to maintain adequate stopping distance reaction times for both you and them.

Of course, sometimes this results in the opposite problem. I will have people whip around me, throttle to the floor, cut back in front of me, and then slam on the brakes to make a turn.

Fortunately, I have only once had the misfortune of delivering the lesson to one of these morons that a loaded truck can not decelerate as fast as a 2000 lb car.

1.5Ldave 09-23-2008 10:57 AM

If im in my truck its brake check time. In the civic slowing down to 35 or 40 usually does it.

IndyIan 09-23-2008 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKWPrime (Post 62801)
The closer they get the slower you go not only works but it is proper driving procedure. If they are tailgating, you slow down to maintain adequate stopping distance reaction times for both you and them.

Of course, sometimes this results in the opposite problem. I will have people whip around me, throttle to the floor, cut back in front of me, and then slam on the brakes to make a turn.

Fortunately, I have only once had the misfortune of delivering the lesson to one of these morons that a loaded truck can not decelerate as fast as a 2000 lb car.

May I ask who was found at fault for that accident? Did you have witnessess to back up your story?

I find just gently slowing down some more gets people off the bumper, mostly my tailgaters seem to be young women who just don't really know any better. They aren't nasty about it and once they clue in that I don't really like someone 3 ft off my bumper they give some space or pass.

Maybe canadians that live in the country are just nice but it seems everyone is basically respecting other peoples decision to drive slow given the crazy gas prices.

Folks from the city (Toronto) are a different story but its only Friday nights in the summer that they are out. I bump my speed a bit to avoid watching a head on collision from the front row seat...
Ian

Z man 09-23-2008 11:15 AM

Here's what I did, although I have only used it a few times, it was entertaining enough.
ScionLife View topic - DIY: Rear windshield nozzle SUPER SOAKER!

Spray them!

Now I have been just getting stressed when everyone wants to go 60mph in 45 or 55mph zones except for me.