EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   How much air are you purchasing when you buy gasoline (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-air-you-purchasing-when-you-buy-17088.html)

Varn 04-28-2011 04:31 PM

How much air are you purchasing when you buy gasoline

I was filling a gas can and it dawned on me. There was a lot of air mixed with the fuel. It bubbled up and took seconds for it to settle down. I hope that the aerator is downstream of the fuel sensor.

gone-ot 04-28-2011 05:24 PM

...only way to confirm is by volume: if gas pump shows 1.0 gallon, then a 2.0 gallon gas can had better be exactly HALF full.

busypaws 04-28-2011 07:34 PM

I run the pump on the slow setting for the last 3-4 gallons, lets air come back out and get more consistant fills.

Ford Man 04-29-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by busypaws (Post 234819)
I run the pump on the slow setting for the last 3-4 gallons, lets air come back out and get more consistant fills.

I think his main concern was that he wasn't paying $4. a gallon and 10% of that gallon was actually air instead of gas.

euromodder 04-29-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Man (Post 234860)
I think his main concern was that he wasn't paying $4. a gallon and 10% of that gallon was actually air instead of gas.

Some air will always dissolve in fuel (or other liquids).
Actually, 10% is what I found for diesel :
FASS Information - FASS Fuel Pumps - FASS Pumps - FASS Fuel Air Separation Systems - FASS Diesel

It's also an important issue in aviation, as the amount of dissolved gasses varies with pressure and temperature.

Varn 04-29-2011 09:40 AM

Yeah you guys get it. I wouldn't doubt that air is added to fuel as a way of cutting costs for producers.

Thanks for the link euro

gone-ot 04-29-2011 10:35 AM

...I liked their wordy euphemism for "air" = entrained vapor

...of course, fuel vapor could be in there too, but at least *it* is combustable.

euromodder 04-29-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Varn (Post 234941)
Yeah you guys get it. I wouldn't doubt that air is added to fuel as a way of cutting costs for producers.

It'd get out of the fuel while it's in the tank.
You can't get more air in the fuel than the atmospheric pressure and temp allows for.

They'd have to store the fuel under higher pressure, which isn't happening AFAIK.
(It\'d be environmentally dangerous to do so; the pump would start cavitating as well.

It\'s the same as with water, which too has gasses dissolved in it.
You can see it coming out when you\'re cooking the water.

SoobieOut 04-29-2011 10:07 PM

Hummm, Carbonated gas. Maybe the rich will snap it up if marketed properly. Remember Perrier, a brand of bottled mineral water made from a spring in Vergèze in the Gard département of France.

Suckers lined up and paid $2 a bottle.

Arragonis 04-30-2011 05:44 AM

More like someone will invent something like alka-seltzer for fuel. Expect it in the Unicorn barn next week :D