EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   How Much Americans Spend on Their Daily Commute (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-americans-spend-their-daily-commute-32166.html)

Frank Lee 06-14-2015 06:34 PM

How Much Americans Spend on Their Daily Commute

Quote:

Take your annual take-home pay and subtract $2,600 from it — that’s how much you’re really making, after you factor in how much it costs you to get to and from your job all year. The average American travels 45 minutes commuting to and from work and spends about $10 to do so every day, according to the Citi ThankYou Premier Commuter Index.
Americans Spend $2600 a Year on Their Commute

But it appears to me that respondents simply reported their answers and without record-keeping, who knows how accurate they are.

Baltothewolf 06-14-2015 07:04 PM

No idea how much I spend, but it's probably about that. I have to stop Saturday night and Wednesday night on my way home and get something drink. After falling asleep at the wheel twice, I think a .99˘ soda justifies keeping me awake, and alive.

This is how much I spend a year in gas: $1,147. My commute is 420 miles a week (give or take 100 miles). I calculated it based on 65mpg at 3.70 a gallon.

freebeard 06-14-2015 07:12 PM

My bike seldom needs air, let alone tires and I have an LTD Honored Rider card that lets me ride free; but every spare cent I get goes to keeping a car (or getting a 2nd one) on the road. It seems like the insurance (that runs whether the car is racking up miles or not) costs more than gas.

And I don't even have a job.

Xist 06-14-2015 07:35 PM

Doesn't your fuel log tell you how much you spend?

user removed 06-14-2015 09:19 PM

If you spend $2600 out of pocket then your gross is probably closer to $4k, before deductions.

regards
mech

oil pan 4 06-15-2015 01:09 AM

Now I live about 4 miles for work.
So how much I spend driving to work falls way down on the list of stuff to worry about.

fusion210 06-15-2015 02:58 AM

When you really add in everything like maintenance, insurance and depreciation, I'm a lot closer to that $2,600 than I'd like to be. My skimming of the article doesn't appear to include those vital aspects. Especially if you compare driving vs public transportation or riding a bike.

Daox 06-15-2015 01:07 PM

Last year I spent $1650 on fuel alone. This year so far I've spent $400, so I estimate $800 for this year. Awesome decrease due to more fuel efficient vehicles, lower gas prices, and driving less.

Insurance is around $470/yr. This is pretty consistent.

Maintenance varies.

Hersbird 06-15-2015 01:19 PM

I would bet it's higher then that. Are they counting the cost of the car itself? Judging by all the newer cars I see in the morning commute they are losing more then that is car depreciation alone. Add maintenance, wear items, repairs, insurance, to the cost of the gas and I bet it on average is higher then people guess in a survey.

Edmonds lists a 2014 v6 Accord at $44,000 for 5 years and a common Tahoe at $54,000 for 5 years.

freebeard 06-15-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Jerry Reed – Lord Mr. Ford Lyrics
Songwriter: Dick Feller

Well, if you're one of the millions who own one of them gas-drinking, piston-clinking, air-polluting, smoke-belching, four-wheeled buggies from Detroit City, then pay attention. I'm about to sing your song son.

Well, I'm not a man appointed judge
To bear ill-will and hold a grudge
But I think it's time I said me a few choice words
All about that demon automobile
A metal box with the polyglass wheel
The end result to a dream of Henry Ford
Well I've got a car that's mine alone
That me and the finance company own
Well it ain't just the smoke and the traffic jam
That makes me the bitter fool I am
But this four-wheel buggy is
A-dollaring me to death