EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   How much faster will Teslas get? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/how-much-faster-will-teslas-get-34230.html)

ME_Andy 08-23-2016 10:58 PM

How much faster will Teslas get?

With today’s announcement that Tesla Motors is rolling out a yet-faster sedan, it becomes the third-quickest production sedan in the world. That’s after the Porsche 918 Spyder ($847,000) and the LaFerrari ($1.4 million) – both of which are dedicated coupes, whereas the Tesla is a large, 4-door luxury sedan which starts at $135,000. Incredible! If it wasn’t already clear that electric vehicles are the future, this should do it for you.

But I’m pondering: how much faster could a Tesla be? This heavy sedan does 0-60 in 2.5s and it’s made from aluminum. I would imagine that an updated roadster, seating two and made from carbon fiber, will be able to break two seconds.

And that leads to my next question: will Tesla detune its cars to protect their fragile drivers? In other words, when Teslas start pulling several G’s, will Elon Musk have to limit his cars’ acceleration to avoid snapping the human neck? Nah, I don’t think it’s in his nature to do something like that.

from HomeGrown

UltArc 08-23-2016 11:07 PM

The weight may be an advantage for better traction. Our limiting factor to accelerating faster is traction.

And isn't the P100D (S) the fastest accelerating vehicle to be in production, technically? I haven't done my homework on it, yet.

ME_Andy 08-23-2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 521316)
And isn't the P100D (S) the fastest accelerating vehicle to be in production, technically? I haven't done my homework on it, yet.

I guess it is the fastest currently in production. Only 918 Spyders were made and I guess the LaFerrari is out of production, too. Here's the definitive source:
https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla...tion-car-world

Xist 08-24-2016 01:17 AM

Also, you say third-fastest sedan, but state the top two are coupes. So, fastest sedan, while there are two faster coupes, right?

jamesqf 08-24-2016 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ME_Andy (Post 521315)
whereas the Tesla is a large, 4-door luxury sedan which starts at $135,000.

Which rather begs the question: when are they going to start building more Roadsters, or something with a similar sensible-for-a-single-person body plan?

RedDevil 08-24-2016 05:33 AM

I think it is becoming obvious what Faraday Future's future will look like...
Tire grip is now the limiting factor in very fast electric cars; the S P100D will be very hard to beat; grippier tires and more downforce are the way to go for that. Which would compromise the record breaking range (over 300 miles on a single charge)

The battery size is the real news.
It will reduce charging time versus driving time as it will be able to take a bigger current than the smaller packs; likewise it would suffer less from receiving the same current.
The larger range allows more options for visiting charging points along a long trip.

Performance, range, space, luxury... This is the ultimate no compromise car.

jakobnev 08-24-2016 07:15 AM

Oh yeah, my car can do it in 2.8! *cough*in free fall*cough*

Wait.. that thing is even faster.

rmay635703 08-24-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 521333)
Tire grip is now the limiting factor in very fast electric cars; the S P100D will be very hard to beat; grippier tires and more downforce are the way to go for that. Which would compromise the record breaking range (over 300 miles on a single charge)

You do know systems exist that allow downforce when you need it and kamback when you don't right?

Automatically Adjustable air foils were banned in racing sometime in the 1970s

NeilBlanchard 08-24-2016 12:35 PM

The new Model S P100D is THE quickest sedan, and the third quickest production car. Ever.

The quicker cars are both 2 seaters and they cost well over $1M and they are no longer in production.

They may be able to make them quicker, but it is only for bragging rights.

jamesqf 08-24-2016 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rmay635703 (Post 521347)
You do know systems exist that allow downforce when you need it and kamback when you don't right?

There is no aerodynamic downforce when you're not moving, you know, and not a heck of a lot under 40 mph or so. Barring wind, of course, and it's pretty hard to guarantee that you'll have strong headwinds blowing in the right direction when you want them :-)